Sad news about Grimmy on radio 1.......

shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
Forum Member
✭✭
He is back next Monday:(
When he got the job I thought he would be quite a good choice, but he just isnt really funny. I used to be in stitches listening to Moyles and co. It is what you need when you wake up. This week and last week with Scott Mills and Chris Stark has been brilliant. Plenty of laugh out loud moments and I cant wait to hear Chris Starks interview (my guess.....Jennifer Aniston:D).
Come on Radio 1, admit that, like Mark Radcliffe (who was my FAVE daytime dj at the time), you made a mistake. Grimmy is best in the evening. Go on, admit it....PLEEEEAAASE.

Comments

• PaulEvansDorsetPaulEvansDorset Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that Nick Grimshaw, Mark Radcliffe, Sarah Cox and other excellent broadcasters who were not suited to breakfast could be regarded as a mistake.

Like most other businesses, radio is not an exact science, so assuming they didn't bottle it or press the wrong buttons all the time it should be regarded as a calculated decision that didn't work out with that particular signing.

By the way, my biggest bugbear with Digital Spy is when posters hook you in with a false premise.
    Reading your thread title you might believe that 'Grimmy' had died... it is not 'sad news' for 'Grimmy' that he's back!

My second biggest bugbear is posters who over-familiarise themselves with presenters by funning-up their names: not so bad if you think they're like one of your mates (fans of 'Wrighty', etc.). That just means that they're doing their job well.

But I always find that people who call me 'Pauly' actually dislike me. or have some hidden agenda.

if you don't like the man, fair enough. But it's Nick or Mr. Grimshaw to you...
  • kimberleycatkimberleycat Posts: 1,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listen every morning. I never liked Chris Moyles and have really enjoyed listening this last year.
    Looking forward to his return next week. Hope hes having a great birthday today.
  • WingerWinger Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that Nick Grimshaw, Mark Radcliffe, Sarah Cox and other excellent broadcasters who were not suited to breakfast could be regarded as a mistake.

Like most other businesses, radio is not an exact science, so assuming they didn't bottle it or press the wrong buttons all the time it should be regarded as a calculated decision that didn't work out with that particular signing.

By the way, my biggest bugbear with Digital Spy is when posters hook you in with a false premise.
    Reading your thread title you might believe that 'Grimmy' had died... it is not 'sad news' for 'Grimmy' that he's back!

My second biggest bugbear is posters who over-familiarise themselves with presenters by funning-up their names: not so bad if you think they're like one of your mates (fans of 'Wrighty', etc.). That just means that they're doing their job well.

But I always find that people who call me 'Pauly' actually dislike me. or have some hidden agenda.

Cheers Evvo!
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Weird reply MATEY. You obviously dont listen to radio 1 or you would KNOW that everyone refers to him as Grimmy (even he does). This is DS not a letter to the Queen.

Yours sincerely
    Shackfan.

;):rolleyes::D
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,362
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    He is back next Monday:(
    When he got the job I thought he would be quite a good choice, but he just isnt really funny. I used to be in stitches listening to Moyles and co. It is what you need when you wake up. This week and last week with Scott Mills and Chris Stark has been brilliant. Plenty of laugh out loud moments and I cant wait to hear Chris Starks interview (my guess.....Jennifer Aniston:D).
    Come on Radio 1, admit that, like Mark Radcliffe (who was my FAVE daytime dj at the time), you made a mistake. Grimmy is best in the evening. Go on, admit it....PLEEEEAAASE.

You lost your argument the minute you mentioned Mark Radclife doing breakfast, 16 years ago, if you remember that your very likely to be over 30 in which case Radio 1 want you to feel too old for their breakfast show so the fact you prefer the pushing 40 Scott over the in his prime 20 something Grimmy means your too old for Radio 1 and need to tune into the station that now hosts the 90s breakfast presenters; Mayo, Wright, Evans, Radclife, Ball that will be Radio 2
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back Tony Blackburn.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I read sad news about Grimmy I thought something has tragically gone wrong. Well after reading it - I don't listen, but it is for some..:D
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its been so much better with Scott at breakfast this week!
  • ste2010ste2010 Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you remember Mark Radcliffe at breakfast it's time to move on. I remember Noel Edmonds at breakfast and thought it was great. However we all get older and we cannot expect Radio 1 to cater for us forever whether you were a Blackburn, Edmonds or Moyles fan.. It's great that Radio 1 plays new music and focuses on the 15 to 29 age group. I imagine lots of young people enjoy Nick Grimshaw as much as we all enjoyed the presenter when we were younger.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Blackburn 30 September 1967 1 June 1973 5 years, 8 months
    Noel Edmonds 4 June 1973 29 April 1978 4 years, 10 months
    Dave Lee Travis 2 May 1978 December 1980 2 years, 7 months
    Mike Read January 1981 April 1986 5 years, 3 months
    Mike Smith May 1986 May 1988 2 years
    Simon Mayo May 1988 September 1993 5 years, 4 months
    Mark Goodier October 1993 December 1993 2 months
    Steve Wright January 1994 21 April 1995 1 year, 3 months
    Chris Evans 24 April 1995 17 January 1997 1 year, 8 months
    Mark and Lard 10 February 1997 10 October 1997 8 months
    Kevin Greening and Zoë Ball 13 October 1997 25 September 1998 11 months
    Zoë Ball 12 October 1998 March 2000 1 year, 4 months
    Sara Cox 31 March 2000 19 December 2003 3 years, 8 months
    Chris Moyles 5 January 2004 14 September 2012 8 years, 8 months
    Nick Grimshaw 24 September 2012 present 10 months
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just can't help but thnk they should have put Mills on breakfast when they got rid of Moyles. He's been great, much better than Grimmy.
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much prefer Grimmy to Moyles.
  • dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    I just can't help but thnk they should have put Mills on breakfast when they got rid of Moyles. He's been great, much better than Grimmy.

Agree Mils is sounding back on top of his game after a dip for a while when Chappers left (I knwo a while ago).

Chris has grown on air and is the perfect foil for Mills.

Mills would have steadied the ship. I can't see Grimmy lasting more than 3 years unless he starts to get hold of the show and stamp his persoanlity on it. A new producer is definitely needed Fincham is poor not cutting edge or strong enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dzfootball wrote: »
    Agree Mils is sounding back on top of his game after a dip for a while when Chappers left (I knwo a while ago).

Chris has grown on air and is the perfect foil for Mills.

Mills would have steadied the ship. I can't see Grimmy lasting more than 3 years unless he starts to get hold of the show and stamp his persoanlity on it. A new producer is definitely needed Fincham is poor not cutting edge or strong enough.

Exactly. So it isn't just me then;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its been so much better with Scott at breakfast this week!

Thankyou. Another who thinks the same:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    You lost your argument the minute you mentioned Mark Radclife doing breakfast, 16 years ago, if you remember that your very likely to be over 30 in which case Radio 1 want you to feel too old for their breakfast show so the fact you prefer the pushing 40 Scott over the in his prime 20 something Grimmy means your too old for Radio 1 and need to tune into the station that now hosts the 90s breakfast presenters; Mayo, Wright, Evans, Radclife, Ball that will be Radio 2

I was suggesting that Mark and Lard, though great in the afternoon, were a letdown at breakfast. For your information I'm approaching mid 50s but that shouldn't stop me liking new music. I will just say John Peel and rest my case your honour;)
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scott seemed to have changed his name these last few weeks

Whenever he name checked himself he seemed to call himself "Scott Mills Grimmy is back on Monday"

Almost as if Radio 1 bosses were worried that all the 12 year old 1D fans would tune out for good if they were not told that Grimmy was back soon and old Mills wasn't the permanent host, every 10 minutes!
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Scott seemed to have changed his name these last few weeks

Whenever he name checked himself he seemed to call himself "Scott Mills Grimmy is back on Monday"

Almost as if Radio 1 bosses were worried that all the 12 year old 1D fans would tune out for good if they were not told that Grimmy was back soon and old Mills wasn't the permanent host, every 10 minutes!

It was at least The Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Scott Mills. Slightly better than "The Chris Moyles show with Scott Mills cos Chris is on holiday". :D

Incidentally, it sounds like Mills raised his game even higher for breakfast this week. Good on him.

The problem with giving him breakfast full-time would be that those who grew up with him would continue to listen. There's not really much he can do about that, apart from continue to put in cracking shows so that Radio 2 or someone else will pick him up when his time comes, and Radio 1 will hold on to him for as long as possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    So I tried to listen this morning. I had to bail out when he started a long-winded ramble about the Kardashians. He's a shocking choice and the saddest part is that the he and the show hasn't improved at all!

I've thoroughly enjoyed being able to listen to Scott on breakfast but like many I'm now counting down the days until Grimshaw's next holiday.
  • kimberleycatkimberleycat Posts: 1,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was so good to hear Nick back this morning. Don't get me wrong I like Scott and do listen to him too but I never liked the breakfast show until Nick took over and listen regularly enjoying his chats with the team. He is a great choice IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just can't listen to Grimmy, to the extent that I don't even try anymore. I did listen to mills when he stood in and IMO he's much better. Sadly, like some other posters, I do indeed remember Mark and Lard on breakfast. they were probably my fav radio 1 DJs and by their own admission, they didnt want the breakfast show (they said their style wouldnt work and it didnt) and they freely admitted afterwards it wasnt right for them or radio 1.

I did once get a shout out from them for one of my mates. I got a biggedy biggedy bong in the style of Jim McDonald riding oblivion at alton towers.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark and Lard were the only time I listened to radio 1 in recent years.
    A big fan of theirs but their aggravating style and being too out there for first thing in the morning was bound not to work.

I had to plead at work to switch over from radio 2 to their afternoon show for a couple of hours.

I've not listened to Moyles or Grimshaw much at all, too much like yob radio especially in the case of Moyles for me.
    Grimshaw's voice is too grating for a start.