Windows 1.0: The flop that created an empire

2»

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 1 was pretty dire and Windows 2 was not much better.

Imo, Digital Research's GEM was much superior on the PC, even after it was forced to strip down it's GUI due to being sued by Apple.

It wasn't until Windows 3.0 where Microsoft finally started to get their act together.

From what I've seen, Apple seem to sue companies willy nilly.
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    30MB was a lot. I think XT I used as my first PC had 20MB and you could fit _everything_ on it :D

My first HDD was a 32MB WD. 32!!! MB. Friends and family thought I was crazy. Why so big! Most did without a HDD or had a 10MB one at most.
    I had to low-level-format the beast myself, marking bad clusters etc. Och, those happy days.

A friend of mine had WIndows 2.0 but I used the suite that came with my Philips PC. Not bad at the time. It had a nice interface, wysiwig! and mouse control. No need for Windows. Och, those happy days.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    From what I've seen, Apple seem to sue companies willy nilly.

Yeah look at all the Apple v Samsung cases in recent times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah look at all the Apple v Samsung cases in recent times.

Where did I mention the names of the companies that Apple have sued?
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I still hate Windows Vista (who doesn't?) and I think Windows 8 is a steaming pile of dung, but Windows 7 is strangely usable sometimes. It's the best OS for gaming still :p As for the hardware, there's no denying that Apple hardware isn't quality. It's certainly better than some pile of dung from PC World. The more expensive Windows laptops are probably of similar quality to a Mac but if you pay nearly £1000 for a Windows laptop you're better off getting a Mac and dual booting it. It works out cheaper and you can use OSX as well.
    Great minds think alike I suppose as you have exactly the same opinions about Windows Vista and Windows 8 as I have! :cool:
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) hadn't made a huge error of judgement in the 80's, there would have been no IBM PC (or Microsoft, which came into being on the back of it), because we would have been using the DEC Professional, based on the PDP11 architecture, and its successors. It was far superior architecturally to the IBM PC.

The error that Ken Olsen made was to assume that nobody would want to develop their own software, but instead buy ready made applications. For that reason, the assembler and compilers were not made publicly available.

A great opportunity lost that would have changed the face of personal computing today in my opinion.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

You didn't - you mentioned that they did sue them and then cnbcwatcher gave an example of a company they sued.
    Forum Member
    Yes but it runs on Apple hardware.

But what parts do Apple actually make? The important bits like processor, memory, hard drive and memory aren't
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    You didn't - you mentioned that they did sue them and then cnbcwatcher gave an example of a company they sued.

Exactly. That is all.
    Forum Member
    Exactly. That is all.

You do realise this is a discussion forum and cnbcwatcher was just having a discussion?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    If DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) hadn't made a huge error of judgement in the 80's, there would have been no IBM PC (or Microsoft, which came into being on the back of it), because we would have been using the DEC Professional, based on the PDP11 architecture, and its successors. It was far superior architecturally to the IBM PC.

The error that Ken Olsen made was to assume that nobody would want to develop their own software, but instead buy ready made applications. For that reason, the assembler and compilers were not made publicly available.

A great opportunity lost that would have changed the face of personal computing today in my opinion.
    Blimey.... :o
    Forum Member

Nowhere, but I was just giving examples and that was the first one I could think of.
    xp95 wrote: »
    Great minds think alike I suppose as you have exactly the same opinions about Windows Vista and Windows 8 as I have! :cool:

I'm glad someone agrees with me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowhere, but I was just giving examples and that was the first one I could think of.

I'm glad someone agrees with me!
    Thanks. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Okay. Fair enough.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I never used it natively I'm certain the GUI elements were grafted onto other programs of the time. It looks a bit familiar.

Nice seeing that classic Mac System Software pic too. I used to love the way it would quack at you when you made a mistake :D
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,415
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    Nice seeing that classic Mac System Software pic too. I used to love the way it would quack at you when you made a mistake :D
    Or give you the notorious bomb message and force you to reboot :(

Maybe it was the hardware I was using at the time but I recall OS 7 and 8 used to constantly complain about virtual memory ... either it needed to be off, or on, or you hadn't allocated enough..or too much etc.
    Ulysses777 wrote:
    One word.

Workbench. :cool:
    It was certainly way ahead of its time. I reckon if Commodore were still about today things would look very different in the IT world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Maybe it was the hardware I was using at the time but I recall OS 7 and 8 used to constantly complain about virtual memory ... either it needed to be off, or on, or you hadn't allocated enough..or too much etc.
    I don't remember having that problem with my old Performa 630. Mind you, I did have an absolutely WHOPPING 36MB RAM in it, which for 1994 or thereabouts was huge.
    It was certainly way ahead of its time. I reckon if Commodore were still about today things would look very different in the IT world.
    Commodore were a completely useless company with a good product. It was a house of cards that got lucky by buying in the Amiga, nothing more.
    Forum Member

Did it really do that? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Or give you the notorious bomb message and force you to reboot :(

To be honest, I would much prefer the "notorious bomb message" instead of a BSOD! :p
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,415
    Forum Member
    xp95 wrote: »
    To be honest, I would much prefer the "notorious bomb message" instead of a BSOD! :p
    It's a trap! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember getting my hands on one of these in 1985/86, this was the leading edge back then. People were pretty gobsmacked when they first saw a working graphical mouse/keyboard os
    Forum Member

The quack is hilarious :D The beep reminds me of a supermarket checkout.