Options

Should I be annoyed?!

DodgyraiderDodgyraider Posts: 283
Forum Member
Right, I'll try and word this without making myself sound like an ungrateful sod...

I'm a 27 year old bloke living alone in my own house. I've been trying to do a bit of work on the place the last few weeks with the willing and appreciated help of my folks. My dads a tradesman so it is a MASSIVE help!

I sent my dad a text yesterday about something unrelated and he responds saying he's at mine doing a few odd jobs. Now this I have absolutely no problem with and as I've said I really really appreciate the help.

However I would have loved to get a text or a phonecall the night before just saying something like 'hey, thinking about popping over tomorrow to have a look at *****'

That way I can at least make sure things are tidy and put away and nothing is on show that shouldn't be on show...!! ;-)

Should I mention something, or could this lead to awkward conversations, ie 'why do we need to let you know? It's not like anyone's going to be in?'

Anyhow, lesson learnt. Tidy up any incriminating, embarrassing artefacts just in case a helpful, unannounced visitor arrives whilst I'm out!

Comments

• Options
    dan_blamiresdan_blamires Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, I'll try and word this without making myself sound like an ungrateful sod...

I'm a 27 year old bloke living alone in my own house. I've been trying to do a bit of work on the place the last few weeks with the willing and appreciated help of my folks. My dads a tradesman so it is a MASSIVE help!

I sent my dad a text yesterday about something unrelated and he responds saying he's at mine doing a few odd jobs. Now this I have absolutely no problem with and as I've said I really really appreciate the help.

However I would have loved to get a text or a phonecall the night before just saying something like 'hey, thinking about popping over tomorrow to have a look at *****'

That way I can at least make sure things are tidy and put away and nothing is on show that shouldn't be on show...!! ;-)

Should I mention something, or could this lead to awkward conversations, ie 'why do we need to let you know? It's not like anyone's going to be in?'

Anyhow, lesson learnt. Tidy up any incriminating, embarrassing artefacts just in case a helpful, unannounced visitor arrives whilst I'm out!

im afraid you have not achieved your aim. No you should not be annoyed.
  • Options
    CherumanCheruman Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Copies of the Daily Mail?
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    I think we need to know what embarrassing or incriminating stuff you have lying about to make a fair judgement
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would have been fair of him to let you know but the last thing on his mind was probably thinking he might see something 'unexpected' at yours. The only reason I'd be annoyed would be if I was suspicious that someone I was willingly letting into my home had the intention of snooping about in my absence. Sounds like he means well. Tbh, my boyfriend has done this at mine (he has a key) and I've always been nothing but grateful. That said, I've got nothing to hide, lol! However, I do get where you're coming from. Can't you just make light of it and say something like "Dad, I'm really glad of the work you've been putting in lately but can you just let me know when you're calling.". If you get the third degree, just say something to the effect of "Well, y'know, I'm like 27 now and like a bit of privacy!". He might not like it but it gets the message home, so long as you don't fail to show your appreciation for the graft he's put in.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Presumably Dad has a key to let himself in?

Therein lies your first mistake!

Better to let him carry on as you've started now, or he may take offence. Maybe casually mention that he could call you the night before, should he be doing any more work.
  • Options
    MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you can be annoyed but I can understand that it would be nice to have had a heads up!

Perhaps say that you want to make sure the house is tidy for them and if they could just let you know the night before and you'll make sure it's tidy and that you have milk/sugar/tea in the house!

?!
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if you should be annoyed, but you have every right to be, if that's what you mean. When it comes to how to bring it up and make sure Dad's aware of the need to call ahead first though, you're on your own. ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    If you're annoyed, then you have every right to feel annoyed. Next time though, tell him you would like a courteous text or phone call just to let you know when he is coming around. It's only polite.
  • Options
    B_Bowler27B_Bowler27 Posts: 129
    Forum Member

Sounds interesting?;-):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MoJo-Girl wrote: »
    I don't think you can be annoyed but I can understand that it would be nice to have had a heads up!

Perhaps say that you want to make sure the house is tidy for them and if they could just let you know the night before and you'll make sure it's tidy and that you have milk/sugar/tea in the house!

?!

Ha, that is almost a replica of what I did say!

And just for people's info who may be judging... I don't have any drugs / stolen property / bondage etc.

It is simply just a case of wanting to make sure I haven't left any underwear lying around, skidmarks down the toilet, dirty pots in the sink, a half drunk bottle of wine on the coffee table etc

Just general things that you don't want anyone seeing!
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    Ha, that is almost a replica of what I did say!

And just for people's info who may be judging... I don't have any drugs / stolen property / bondage etc.

It is simply just a case of wanting to make sure I haven't left any underwear lying around, skidmarks down the toilet, dirty pots in the sink, a half drunk bottle of wine on the coffee table etc

Just general things that you don't want anyone seeing!

Oh that's disappointing :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm.... I'm a bit torn about this.

My mum and some friends of mine have keys to my house, I'd be pretty annoyed if either of them simply rocked up and let themselves in. Holding keys to someone's home is a security / emergency measure not carte blanche to have a mooch at will. I have keys to neighbours and friends, I'd never just let myself in without being asked to.

Equally, the fact that your dad let himself in to do you a favour does sort of mitigate it.

On balance, be annoyed but say nothing and if you're leaving your jazz mags lying about well, your old man has probably seen it all before. (which is what you're really afraid of ;-) perhaps some weird karma thing will take plae and your old man will "borrow" your jazz mags :D)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I think we need to know what embarrassing or incriminating stuff you have lying about to make a fair judgement

The magazines?
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep the place tidy.

Your Dad can turn up at mine anytime, lots of stuff he could do here as I'm useless.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, your dad wants to help out and gives his time to do this and you whinge ?
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My late dad used to do this often. When I apologised for the mess he said he didn't mind. OP should try doing the same. Maybe his or her dad won't mind the mess leaving them nothing to be embarrassed/ashamed about.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »

I'm with you. OP should be eternally grateful and think himself lucky that dad is doing the work. There's really nothing to get worked up about here.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    I'm with you. OP should be eternally grateful and think himself lucky that dad is doing the work. There's really nothing to get worked up about here.
    Does the end justify the means, then? That it's ok for someone to let themselves into your house un-expected and un-announced as long as they do a good thing whilst they're there? Parent or not, surely there has to be limits and respect for personal space and property?
  • Options
    HogeyzHogeyz Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dads exactly the same OP and I know you're not whinging so I don't think it's fair for some posters to claim you are!

My dad was helping me paint my walls the other week, and while in work I got a text from him saying he'd let himself and as he thought he could get the bathroom done before I got home!

So I was in the same situation as you, so when I got in I just said I was really grateful but just let me know beforehand as I can tidy up! No harm done on either side and I think we should both be grateful our dads our so helpful!
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    No, no. It's not for the old boy to continue to treat his son like a child who still needs his help; I'd be gutted [and quite surprised tbh given his age] if my old boy rocked up to do some work having decided a) that he can do a better job than me and b) he doesn't feel the need to clarify it with me first.

At what age do we gain independence and privacy? Whatever number you put on it, having your own place is a [the?] big marker towards those two things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    Does the end justify the means, then? That it's ok for someone to let themselves into your house un-expected and un-announced as long as they do a good thing whilst they're there? Parent or not, surely there has to be limits and respect for personal space and property?

He stated dad's been doing work around his place, so whilst he didn't know dad was popping round that particular day, it's not something that was entirely unexpected. So, given these circumstances, I don't think there's anything to complain about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    No, no. It's not for the old boy to continue to treat his son like a child who still needs his help; I'd be gutted [and quite surprised tbh given his age] if my old boy rocked up to do some work having decided a) that he can do a better job than me and b) he doesn't feel the need to clarify it with me first.

At what age do we gain independence and privacy? Whatever number you put on it, having your own place is a [the?] big marker towards those two things.

Where on earth does it say that the old boy is rocking up to do some work because he thinks he can do it better and hasn't clarified anything with his son??

The original post says...

I'm a 27 year old bloke living alone in my own house. I've been trying to do a bit of work on the place the last few weeks with the willing and appreciated help of my folks. My dads a tradesman so it is a MASSIVE help.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »

No, it isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh that's disappointing :(

Sorry. If I'm perfectly honest there may have also been a happy tissue on the floor that hadn't been removed... Now that IS embarrassing!
    duckylucky wrote: »

Sigh... Evidently you are missing the tone of the thread.

Sigh... Again... As mentioned several times I am grateful.

And if this is your idea of being 'worked up' you really must have led a sheltered life!
    Hogeyz wrote: »
    My dads exactly the same OP and I know you're not whinging so I don't think it's fair for some posters to claim you are!

My dad was helping me paint my walls the other week, and while in work I got a text from him saying he'd let himself and as he thought he could get the bathroom done before I got home!

So I was in the same situation as you, so when I got in I just said I was really grateful but just let me know beforehand as I can tidy up! No harm done on either side and I think we should both be grateful our dads our so helpful!

Haha it's the 30 seconds after the text lands where you're racking your brain as to what you left out...

'Is Crystal still handcuffed to the bed post??!'
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    You already knew he was doing things to help you out. He's gone in to do something at a time that suits him. I don't think you should say anything. He's helping you out. If you make an issue of it you could be on your own next time you need something done.
This discussion has been closed.