Youtube vocals .... tweaked?

busy_beebusy_bee Posts: 695
Forum Member
✭✭
I am not sure if it is my imagination.... but having re-watched a couple of the performances from last nights show, the videos on youtube seem to have far less bad notes than I remember from the original 'live' performances.

I was wondering if the vocals were tweaked in post-production to make them sound better than they really were. For me Janet especially seems far less cringeworthy on the youtube video.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I going mad?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't heard them all but it makes little sense.
    There uploaded too quickly and there wouldn't be much point!

Maybe its in a different setting, your TV has bad sound!, hearing it twice. But am guessing not much sound difference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting point. As a result of what you say, I've just been doing a direct comparison between my recording of the show and the YouTube version (specifically of Janet). There is a difference definitely. I think it is is due to the compression that sound on YouTube is subjected to to make it easily streamable.

There is no auto-tune or anything like that because her little inaccuracies of pitch are still there. It's just possible that they have adjusted the balance between the microphone and the backing track but again that might be something to do with the compression.

Note: I am using the same headphones to listen to both so there's no question of the speakers affecting the sound.
  • Since YesterdaySince Yesterday Posts: 5,051
    Forum Member
    busy_bee wrote: »
    I am not sure if it is my imagination.... but having re-watched a couple of the performances from last nights show, the videos on youtube seem to have far less bad notes than I remember from the original 'live' performances.

I was wondering if the vocals were tweaked in post-production to make them sound better than they really were. For me Janet especially seems far less cringeworthy on the youtube video. Has anyone else noticed this or am I going mad?
    Listening to clips uploaded by members of the public rather than to the official XF account would perhaps give you a better idea, or at least remove the suspicion.

I've noticed that Janet was better than I'd originally thought, yes. I checked out Kitty earlier, because I wanted to listen to the start again and see if it still sounded as though there was a vocoder on her voice (and it did). And I decided to give Janet another listen while I was there too, because there seemed to be quite a fall from grace based on her previous performances. Part of the issue for me was being so familiar with the original, which instantly made her seem off kilter. But she isn't. It's the ill-advised arrangement and backing track that's most at fault, rather than her delivery. I'm not suggesting she's technically perfect on every note. But it's the 'you' at the end of each verse that really throws it off. There's a more technical appraisal of that posted by another member elsewhere here. I think a lot of people are going to think she was off key, which was my first impression as well. I think she knew herself that the arrangement she was given was flawed, and that's why she was a bit upset on Xtra afterwards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that Janet was better than I'd originally thought, yes.

And I decided to give Janet another listen while I was there too, because there seemed to be quite a fall from grace based on her previous performances. Part of the issue for me was being so familiar with the original, which instantly made her seem off kilter. But she isn't. It's the ill-advised arrangement and backing track that's most at fault, rather than her delivery..

I also have been listening to the youtube'd performances back from certain acts, including Janet's performance a few times of course.

And I also found it sounded better and better on each listening, which I didn't expect, even though I just love her voice anyway.

Like you, I am too familiar with the original, a song I loved by the Police (I was a university student at that time it was released), so it seemed weird to me to hear it sung like Janet sang it.

But it has grown on me.

I thought this was just me, being a fan of Janet and loving her voice. So it is interesting to hear someone else feeling the same way.

However, I'm not sure that will make much difference to the voting, as most people will just watch the show and vote, not go off to youtube and watch all the performances again a couple of times.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Listening to clips uploaded by members of the public rather than to the official XF account would perhaps give you a better idea, or at least remove the suspicion.

But most other uploaders get the videos direct from the official XF account. They just download them and then upload them again under their own name.
  • trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I checked out Kitty earlier, because I wanted to listen to the start again and see if it still sounded as though there was a vocoder on her voice (and it did).

No it doesn't. It sounds like there's a phaser on her voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . I checked out Kitty earlier, because I wanted to listen to the start again and see if it still sounded as though there was a vocoder on her voice (and it did).

No - it didnt. Do you even know what a Vocoder is?? It had a Phaser on it to complement the tremolo (or possibly rotory speaker) on the guitar track. it was a very clever production to add to the theme. Nothing "vocal tuning" about a phaser - in fact if you dont know any better it could come across as making them worse.
  • trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It had a Phaser on it to complement the tremolo (or possibly rotory speaker) on the guitar track.

It was a phaser on the guitar, too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this not a little petty???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    danisfunny wrote: »
    Is this not a little petty???

Yes it is