Litter problem.....

ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
Forum Member
✭✭
The streets where I live have an ever growing litter problem, mainly due to the proximity of fast food shops to the local schools......

The council have a policy of on the spot fines, but I have never seen or heard of one being issued ..To also aid the problem, the council in their wisdom have removed 90 odd percent of the bins in the area.

Add to this the feeling of no shame that many people display when they lob a bag of McDonald's left overs out the window of their car or a box of KFC bones on the kerbside outside my house.

Anyone else suffer from litter rage?

Comments

• ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If that's what turns you on........
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never really understood how people can litter.
    The other day I saw some feral youth rip open their takeaway food and throw the container on to the street as they walked on. No care in the world. No point saying anything, they would probably verbally assault you and quite possibly have a knife.

Maybe its just me but I was raised not to behave like that. Crazy eh?

Also reminds me of a "friend" who told me when he litters he is giving someone else a job.......
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Litter Problem solved in Bromley town centre. A pair of 'environment officials' instantly pounce on any one so much as discarding a matchstick and will issue a hefty penalty of around £80. Drastic - but most effective !
  • ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    Litter Problem solved in Bromley town centre. A pair of 'environment officials' instantly pounce on any one so much as discarding a matchstick and will issue a hefty penalty of around £80. Drastic - but most effective !

Town centres are easy to police, but I had the joy of walking out of my house this morning to find a large empty bottle of Becks and a kebab wrapper......
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Town centres are easy to police, but I had the joy of walking out of my house this morning to find a large empty bottle of Becks and a kebab wrapper

>>>>>

Cant win them all I guess. Seen on the New Add tram link . A man took an empty bottle from his son and threw it out of the open tram window.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how McDonalds and Burger King outlets are always surrounded by lots of litter. To think the council could probably get the Chief Execs salary in fines if they put environmental wardens near them. But they don't - because the wardens only "work" 9 to 5!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »

We have the same at our local shops now. One of my neighbours got fined for throwing a **** away a couple of weeks ago.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are more than enough bins around these days and so there's no excuse.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate litter but I refuse to let it upset me. I walk my dog daily down country lanes and about once a fortnight I take a couple of carrier bags and fill them with litter. It just spoils my walk to see the mess.

The nearest Macdonalds is over 20 miles from here but we still get their trays, bags and cardboard cartons. There is a kebab shop a mile or so away and teenagers drive up near my house, eat their food and open the car doors and just leave 4 miles of rubbish beside each door. Close the doors and drive off again. Wouldn't be so bad but there is a litter bin not 10 steps from where they park!!!

We also get quite a lot of cyclists around here and they all just throw their empty plastic bottles down for someone else to pick up. When there's a charity ride the mess is Unbelieveable. Cigarette butts are also litter and people throw them down all the time.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I've never really understood how people can litter.
    The other day I saw some feral youth rip open their takeaway food and throw the container on to the street as they walked on. No care in the world. No point saying anything, they would probably verbally assault you and quite possibly have a knife.

Maybe its just me but I was raised not to behave like that. Crazy eh?

Also reminds me of a "friend" who told me when he litters he is giving someone else a job.......

I was walking through the centre of Birmingham on one occasion when these group of male youths were passing, scoffing their takeaways, and one of them suddenly lobbed a half drunken milkshake towards me, which landed right by my feet spilling the contents. It was only by sheer luck none of it got on my jeans. Did any of them say sorry? Of course not. That's not cool and down with the yoof.

And here lies the problem. Some people just don't care.

I'm forever collecting cans and bottles from outside my house, which have been left on the pavement/walls when there is a wheelie bin within metres, simply because people are too lazy to open a bin lid.

If you've got litter, put it in a bin or take it home. Don't just drop it anywhere you like.
    The streets where I live have an ever growing litter problem, mainly due to the proximity of fast food shops to the local schools......

The council have a policy of on the spot fines, but I have never seen or heard of one being issued ..To also aid the problem, the council in their wisdom have removed 90 odd percent of the bins in the area.

Add to this the feeling of no shame that many people display when they lob a bag of McDonald's left overs out the window of their car or a box of KFC bones on the kerbside outside my house.

Anyone else suffer from litter rage?

Yes. In a word.

It's one of my pet 'hates'.

The main way I've found to deal with it (so far), is to keep phoning the council and my local councillor. My local councillor is pretty good at dealing with these things, but it's only a temporary measure, as in the next few days, we are back to square one. Another way to deal with litter louts and fly tippers is to fine them heavily and educate them not to drop litter or fly tip in the first place. But, I feel it's often a case of 'you can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink'.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    I never litter, usually there are bins around and failing that I'll put empty wrappers in my bag until I find a bin.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like you might just have a friend who shares your interest perhaps you two could take it to chatter

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1990729&highlight=
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1977821&highlight=
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I was walking through the centre of Birmingham on one occasion when these group of male youths were passing, scoffing their takeaways, and one of them suddenly lobbed a half drunken milkshake towards me, which landed right by my feet spilling the contents. It was only by sheer luck none of it got on my jeans. Did any of them say sorry? Of course not. That's not cool and down with the yoof.

And here lies the problem. Some people just don't care.

I'm forever collecting cans and bottles from outside my house, which have been left on the pavement/walls when there is a wheelie bin within metres, simply because people are too lazy to open a bin lid.

If you've got litter, put it in a bin or take it home. Don't just drop it anywhere you like.

Yes. In a word.

It's one of my pet 'hates'.

The main way I've found to deal with it (so far), is to keep phoning the council and my local councillor. My local councillor is pretty good at dealing with these things, but it's only a temporary measure, as in the next few days, we are back to square one. Another way to deal with litter louts and fly tippers is to fine them heavily and educate them not to drop litter or fly tip in the first place. But, I feel it's often a case of 'you can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink'.

Lucky,my council dont care one bit. they just expect council tax payers to pay for someone to clean it up everyday
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im lucky to live in a cul de sac where everybody cares..

we all bring each others bins in depending to whos off work

i would hate to live in a scruffy area
    Forum Member
    rbdcay wrote: »
    Looks like you might just have a friend who shares your interest perhaps you two could take it to chatter

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1990729&highlight=
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1977821&highlight=

Perhaps not.

I see you've got zero (very little) interest in the topic at hand, but this thread isn't a chatter thread, just like the other two you've posted (linked to).

So, we'll leave it at that yeah?
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps not.

I see you've got zero (very little) interest in the topic at hand, but this thread isn't a chatter thread, just like the other two you've posted (linked to).

Meh.....
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIxkqoNi8I4

these guys will sort it
    Forum Member

rbdcay went to the interview, but didn't get the job.

Something about chewing gum stuck to the floor and leaving a mattress outside the premises, as they had to turn up the previous day in order to be on time for the interview.
  • Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffer penalties need to be introduced, but councils need to man up and start being proactive about it.
  • Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    I refuse to litter, but then I don't often have litter to throw away. I don't stop for fast food or smoke when I go out for my walks.

Like one or two other members here, I will pick up some litter in our area and recycle it or toss it in our own garbage.

I always pick up beer bottles and cans. We get paid for them when we return them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Stiffer penalties need to be introduced, but councils need to man up and start being proactive about it.

No argument there.

One of the biggest problems happens at lunchtimes in the streets surrounding high schools, so maybe some kind of education programme too, letting the youngsters know how it affects the amount of Council Tax their parents pay, and what it makes people think of the area and the school when they see it.
  • Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No argument there.

One of the biggest problems happens at lunchtimes in the streets surrounding high schools, so maybe some kind of education programme too, letting the youngsters know how it affects the amount of Council Tax their parents pay, and what it makes people think of the area and the school when they see it.

They should fine them Captain. It happened in Knottingley.

"Here you go, pass that onto your parents. That's £80 for dropping your Coke can".

That would reduce littering. Parent bollocks child, takes £80 off their Christmas box. Job done!
  • akhenatenakhenaten Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see a woman walk past a bin, and she had'nt gone one step past it, and she threw a empty bottle on the grass by the bin.

This was in wellingborough church yard, she was late teens/early20s and wore a uniform from the local iceland shop.

Also notice lots of polish beer cans strewn all over the place, so it's not only british people doing it.

To be honest the local council workers in the town center do a great job, because people here are just disgusting.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I hate litter but I refuse to let it upset me. I walk my dog daily down country lanes and about once a fortnight I take a couple of carrier bags and fill them with litter. It just spoils my walk to see the mess.

I think if more people did this, the countryside would be a nicer place :)