Do Music Lessons Make You Smarter?

EavesyEavesy Posts: 45
Forum Member
Here I have a pretty interesting infographic from a website called Bridget de Courcy that claims that taking music lessons could make you more intelligent.

The infographic shows pictures of geniuses that were all musicians, information about improved math and reading skills and more. Check it out:

http://bridgetdecourcy.co.uk/lessons-make-you-smarter/

What do you all think?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Ah. You again.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought music was a doss lesson.

Just like art & CDT. You either like such classes or you don't!

I didn't like them :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sucked at music, and I hated the fact that music lessons were obligatory.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's more likely that parents who believe in extracurricular stuff like instrument lessons tend to be a bit more engaged with their children's education all round.

There was something similar in Outliers or Freakonomics about households with more books correlating to kids who were high achievers.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I would think it gives you a better understanding of music, but smarter? No.

David Cameron and Ed Miliband went to University, not just any University either, they went to Oxford. Do you think they're smarter as a result? :p ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I would think it gives you a better understanding of music, but smarter? No.

James Cameron and Ed Miliband went to University, not just any University either, they went to Oxford. Do you think they're smarter as a result? :p ;-)

Who?!?
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Who?!?
    Hah, David Cameron, my bad. I've got Avatar sat here in front of me and automatically wrote James.
  • Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Eavesy wrote: »
    Here I have a pretty interesting infographic from a website called Bridget de Courcy that claims that taking music lessons could make you more intelligent.

The infographic shows pictures of geniuses that were all musicians, information about improved math and reading skills and more. Check it out:

What do you all think?

I took guitar lessons many years ago, and to my amazement, I found that my guitar playing improved tremendously. Quelle Surpris..!!

However, I can't really say that my ability to do Newtonian Equations, find a cure for AIDS or construct box girder bridges increased at all.

Perhaps if I'd taken piano lessons instead, eh..?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Hah, David Cameron, my bad. I've got Avatar sat here in front of me and automatically wrote James.

No worries! Predictive text is just as bad :D
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I had music lessons for 14 years, got a Grade 8 in the Clarinet and Piano and studied music as a school subject to A-Level.

But I didn't feel any smarter in any other subject. Indeed they say music is supposed to help your maths, but even after all those music lessons I was still hopeless at maths.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly not true in my case.

I took music lessons since I was a toddler until I rebelled at 14 or 15, and I'm still thick. I'm really bad at maths, too. Usually a D at school.

I learnt to read before I had my first music lesson, so I'm not that convinced there's a link between music and reading. I do have a good visual memory, but I think that's due to my life-long interest in art, architecture and cinema.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did flute to grade 7, but by that stage I was just getting pissed off. The sheer amount of inane and pointless crap about the history of music and the technicalities of music theory I had to know just to make a metal tube make a nice noise led me to give up.

My interests lie in science. Music was painfully boring and pointless in comparison.

That said, I am glad that I know the basics and am able to play an instrument with some degree of competence.

As for whether it makes you smarter, I doubt it. I was usually an A* student at school, but I doubt that was related to music lessons. I was actually a bit crap at music compared to academia.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does the man flute count?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eavesy wrote: »

What do you all think?

I disagree that having music lessons will make you smarter. Not everyone's brains are wired in the same way. Doing things that you find incredibly boring will likely only make you progress very little. I'm okay at basic mathematics.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems back to front. People who are clever take music.
    One of the the facts basically said 5-7 year olds who had more tuition than their peers did better academically than their peers. Well, no surprise then.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Lessons in most things will make you smarter.

That's what lessons are for.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a lot of tosh. Music lessons make you smarter about music.