Options

Countdown - so much better these days!

Comments

• Options
    RPMRPM Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised to see that Countdown's ratings had dropped so much and wondered what had happened so I watched yesterday's episode on 4OD. I hadn't watched in a long time and this was the first time that I'd seen it hosted by Nick Hewer. In my opinion, he is the main problem with the show these days. He's awkward, stern, unnatural, and a duck out of water in presenting a show like this. It really made uncomfortable viewing.

The other thing that needs to change is Susie Dent's origin of words (or whatever it was called) slot. It was dull and uninteresting and only served to pad out the show a bit. Again, she's not a natural presenter so there's no need to build up her part.

Rachel Riley was really good but is clearly awkward around Nick Hewer. That 50 Shades of Grey conversation was cringeworthy.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they should give the number points to the player solving using the fewest numbers, if they both get it.

I'm not sure that's always going to be meaningful, and would make it too hard (usually it's difficult enough to make the target using any set of numbers without worrying about how many).

A better reward for skill, if you want to distinguish between equally valid answers, would be for whoever finishes first to get the points (as sometimes one gets it in a few seconds, the other struggles to do it in 30).
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RPM wrote: »
    I was surprised to see that Countdown's ratings had dropped so much and wondered what had happened so I watched yesterday's episode on 4OD. I hadn't watched in a long time and this was the first time that I'd seen it hosted by Nick Hewer. In my opinion, he is the main problem with the show these days. He's awkward, stern, unnatural, and a duck out of water in presenting a show like this. It really made uncomfortable viewing.

The other thing that needs to change is Susie Dent's origin of words (or whatever it was called) slot. It was dull and uninteresting and only served to pad out the show a bit. Again, she's not a natural presenter so there's no need to build up her part.

Rachel Riley was really good but is clearly awkward around Nick Hewer. That 50 Shades of Grey conversation was cringeworthy.

Not sure you should draw conclusions from one episode. Go back a few posts on this thread to see RR definitely not being awkward around NH. In fact, their chemistry has really grown recently. Anyway, most people watch to compete in the words and numbers rounds not to watch the hosts.
  • Options
    Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure you should draw conclusions from one episode. Go back a few posts on this thread to see RR definitely not being awkward around NH. In fact, their chemistry has really grown recently. Anyway, most people watch to compete in the words and numbers rounds not to watch the hosts.

I agree. I suspect the earlier transmission time could have some bearing and irregular absences in the schedules due to racing coverage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So the host isn't important then? Interesting. Would the earlier posts show that Nick Hewer was a good host or is the general consenus that he's not very good?

I was only posting my opinion/thoughts on why there is an issue with this programme which is shedding viewers to a point where it could risk being cancelled. Viewing figures of less than half a million viewers for a programme that used to regularly be in the top 10 Channel 4 programmes must be worrying for the regular viewers. Yes, viewing habits have changed (as has it's timeslot) and there are more channel choices but to see it limping along is a real shame.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RPM wrote: »
    So the host isn't important then? Interesting. Would the earlier posts show that Nick Hewer was a good host or is the general consenus that he's not very good?

I was only posting my opinion/thoughts on why there is an issue with this programme which is shedding viewers to a point where it could risk being cancelled. Viewing figures of less than half a million viewers for a programme that used to regularly be in the top 10 Channel 4 programmes must be worrying for the regular viewers. Yes, viewing habits have changed (as has it's timeslot) and there are more channel choices but to see it limping along is a real shame.

Yes it is a shame that it isn't doing as well as it used to. I think the host is "important" and can add to (or subtract from) the overall enjoyment but that for a show like Countdown I think most viewers would watch anyway. Actually NH, whilst not very good technically as a host, has improved enormously so if you think he is bad now just as well you didn't watch when he started!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually NH, whilst not very good technically as a host, has improved enormously so if you think he is bad now just as well you didn't watch when he started!

I dread to think what he was like in the beginning :D
  • Options
    stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Nick was dreadful at the start, yes, but he'd never presented a TV show before. I couldn't watch for several months, and was worried for the show. But I tuned in for the special Championship series last year, and was pleasantly surprised at how he'd come along. He is still no Jeff for me, but certainly passable, and settled. He seems to be perfectly happy to be there, too, which is kind of important. I hope he stays for as long as he can - it doesn't need more upheaval.

There is very little fluff to Countdown once the game starts, which makes it all the more appealing. I skip Dictionary Corner mostly, but find Susie's segment interesting.

As for the show's ratings, yes, it is a real shame, but it's worth noting that over the past 18 months or so, they have actually gone up slightly, or at least held steady, where other shows, such as DOND, have dropped precipitously, almost to the same levels as Countdown.

C4 would certainly be mad to get rid of it right now as it is still a pleasant, watchable (and obviously cheap) game. If anything, they should push it later as it may even outrate DOND.
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha, target of 103 in the numbers round and they had a 100 and a 3! :D
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    Haha, target of 103 in the numbers round and they had a 100 and a 3! :D

Did the contestants deliberately do a contrived round-the-houses method using all six numbers, just to show off? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Did the contestants deliberately do a contrived round-the-houses method using all six numbers, just to show off? :)

No but someone did 9 - 6 = 3 and then +100 :p
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stewartuu wrote: »
    Nick was dreadful at the start, yes, but he'd never presented a TV show before. I couldn't watch for several months, and was worried for the show. But I tuned in for the special Championship series last year, and was pleasantly surprised at how he'd come along. He is still no Jeff for me, but certainly passable, and settled. He seems to be perfectly happy to be there, too, which is kind of important. I hope he stays for as long as he can - it doesn't need more upheaval.

There is very little fluff to Countdown once the game starts, which makes it all the more appealing. I skip Dictionary Corner mostly, but find Susie's segment interesting.

As for the show's ratings, yes, it is a real shame, but it's worth noting that over the past 18 months or so, they have actually gone up slightly, or at least held steady, where other shows, such as DOND, have dropped precipitously, almost to the same levels as Countdown.

C4 would certainly be mad to get rid of it right now as it is still a pleasant, watchable (and obviously cheap) game. If anything, they should push it later as it may even outrate DOND.

I can't stand game shows that attempt to use fake dramatic pauses to increase tension or employ tedious recaps, it a complete waste of time. But, if they weren't used, it would mean the shows would be over in ten minutes.

Jeff Stelling was an able successor to "Twice Knightly," it took a few years and we lost a few along the way, but I agree, the hosts are secondary to the primary purpose of the show and that is for the audience to compete with the contestants, Suzie and Rachel.

Nick Hewer is an incredibly intelligent man and I think that he had been advised to "dumb" himself down a bit and not try to compete with the corner, or the contestants and this I think frustrated him at the beginning, until he realised why.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick Hewer is an incredibly intelligent man ...

He does seem surprisingly ignorant of terms such as 'todger', or is that feigned?
  • Options
    Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    He does seem surprisingly ignorant of terms such as 'todger', or is that feigned?

Don't be silly,
  • Options
    furtivecatfurtivecat Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry to say I just can't warm to Rachel, she is just too smug for my liking. Not too keen on Nick either really; he looks uncomfortable in the role but I don't have such an aversion to him as I do Rachel!
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stopped watching when Rachel stopped wearing skin tight thigh length dresses and started wearing sensible clothes. What spoilsport came up with that? >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :o I wouldn't describe a lot of the clothes she wears as "sensible".
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She could wear a sack and it wouldn't matter to many (including me). :p
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    furtivecat wrote: »
    :o I wouldn't describe a lot of the clothes she wears as "sensible".

OK maybe "mumsy" would have been a better word.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^What?!
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's black & white and fit all over?

Rachel on today's show.

PHWOOOAAARRR
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    What's black & white and fit all over?

Rachel on today's show.

PHWOOOAAARRR

Certainly showed off her best asset, rear of the year.:blush:
  • Options
    Absolute RotterAbsolute Rotter Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the way that every show is different after thirty years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done to Patricia on her 9 with DESPOTISM :D
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Certainly showed off her best asset, rear of the year.:blush:

Has Rachel ever won it? Perfect optical illusion dress today, designed to dazzle and confuse any prudes into thinking they were actually still in the middle of their crossword puzzle! :D
This discussion has been closed.