Options

Sky feeling the heat?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eh with satellite 0.7 % behind aerial viewing in peoples living rooms and that was when freesat had about 30,000 viewers AND ITV in dire straits .............. I think you will find that the 5 original broadcasters may be more worried than Sky will ever be.
    The big five will be more worried about competition to their channels - wherever the competition comes from.
    Of course you could have dropped your sky package and received freesatfromsky a lot earlier if you felt that way

Actually I did. I was using Freesat generically. :)
    200,000 boxes sold is a long way off 9 million sky boxes

I never suggested otherwise.

I wish people would realise that the statement "Freesat (/Freeview) is/are competition for Sky" is a simple statement of fact based upon the English language definition of competition. It is completely different from and in no way implies that Freesat/Freeview are a threat to Sky.
    freesat is proving popular as BBC/ ITV didnt realise that large parts of the country cant get a service that people are willing to put up with in todays society

The hows and whys are irrelevant. Freesat is still something that people who decide they want more than 4/5 channels might decide to go for when they would otherwise have gone for Sky and it is for that reason that it qualifies as competition.
  • Options
    Felim_DoyleFelim_Doyle Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    In the past 28 years - a time which has seen two new FTV terrestrial channels, the explosion of digital channels and the rise of the Internet both as media distributor and haven for piracy - they've both lost just 10% of viewer share, give or take. If you ask me, that's a resounding success.

(And I barely ever watch ITV1, but clearly many do)
    Then you have to factor in the golden oldies from BBC and ITV shown elsewhere such as on the UKTV channels. There's comedy, drama, lifestyle and entertainment on Watch, G.O.L.D., Dave and Alibi as well as history, natural history, documentary and science on the others (I won't name them because they're renaming as I type :rolleyes:). Does this count as watching BBC & ITV? It probably should.
  • Options
    Felim_DoyleFelim_Doyle Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    rjay60 wrote: »
    I myself would never choose to subscribe to Sky, but that is my choice. The cost for one and like others I dont agree with buying a box then having to pay Sky £10 a month for the privilage of using it. Imagine car manufacturers saying thank you for buying your shiney new car, now if you dont pay us an extra £10 a month we wont let you drive it. There would be a riot!!!
    I don't know about yours but my car needs fuel, insurance, MOT, road fund licence and regular maintenance. At least with a Sky box you still have the Free-to-View option if you decide not to continue your subscription. With a car, if you don't pay for the extras, it's just a fancy chicken coup.:(

I'm a Virgin Media cable subscriber but I am almost set up for FreeSat-from-Sky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I don't know about yours but my car needs fuel, insurance, MOT, road fund licence and regular maintenance. At least with a Sky box you still have the Free-to-View option if you decide not to continue your subscription. With a car, if you don't pay for the extras, it's just a fancy chicken coup.:(

I'm a Virgin Media cable subscriber but I am almost set up for FreeSat-from-Sky.

I don't know about you but I do not pay my fuel, mot and tax charges to the manufacturer of my car.

You obviously did not understand my point so I will put it a different way. Imagine buying a new Samsung TV and then having to pay Samsung £10 a month to be able to use it.

Alternatively:

People already pay their subscription charge to Sky (look at that as the fuel, mot and tax charges) then on top of that after giving Sky your hard earnd cash for a new HD box (originally £300) you have to pay Sky an extra £10 per month on top to use it to its full. The same as you used to have to do for just Sky+. If Sky droped that charge they would get a lot more HD subscribers.
  • Options
    Blue FlameBlue Flame Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    One of the things that annoyed me when my SKYHD contract terminated and my account defaulted to the 'freesat from sky' mode was that you could not easily distinguish between what was 'freesat from sky' and what wasn't without selecting the channel to find out.

Using the guide therefore became a bit of a lottery and quite frankly a bit laborious.

Now with my Freesat Box I don't have that issue, i am not having to pay for the priveledge to record or to recieve HD and to be honest I do not miss SKY HD.

Time will tell whether Freesat really takes off and if SKY starts 'feeling the heat' but for now I am enjoying the ride - FREE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    200,000 boxes sold is a long way off 9 million sky boxes

And 20 years is a long way off 1 year!! Before anyone works it out, yes that still means that Sky on average have signed up twice as many people per year then FS have sold units in its first year but there is a lot more alternatives now. VM for those who have cable in their area. FS on its own offers more then analogue did in Sky's start and of course you have IPTV equiped FV boxes like BT Vision and FetchTV to name two.

The growth of FS will continue as the years go on, at what rate only time will tell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blue Flame wrote: »
    One of the things that annoyed me when my SKYHD contract terminated and my account defaulted to the 'freesat from sky' mode was that you could not easily distinguish between what was 'freesat from sky' and what wasn't without selecting the channel to find out.

Using the guide therefore became a bit of a lottery and quite frankly a bit laborious.

Now with my Freesat Box I don't have that issue, i am not having to pay for the priveledge to record or to recieve HD and to be honest I do not miss SKY HD.

Time will tell whether Freesat really takes off and if SKY starts 'feeling the heat' but for now I am enjoying the ride - FREE.

Well said;) I really like the FS EPG.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Guess what came in the post this morning.
    It came from Sky without a warning

The letter from Sky said Robert, we’ve missed you.
    We want you back, so here’s an offer to twist you.

Forty nine pounds buys Sky HD, 31 channels for you to see
    Cast aside the set up fee, as we know you, we’ll do it free

Vibrant colour and Dolby sound, super value pound for pound
    As I read on, a catch I’ve found, more to pay I’ll be bound

For forty nine pounds there’s no HD ‘cept ITV and BBC
    For true HD you’ll need a pack, sixteen fifty if you come back

For sixteen fifty get true HD, 31 channels for you to see
    For sixteen fifty no HD ‘cept ITV and BBC.

To get HD you’ll need a pack, another tenner if you come back
    Of this offer I’m apprehensive, Sky TV is very expensive

For less than the cost per annum above I bought my Foxsat which I love
    I watch HD with no restriction, I watch HD with no subscription

My viewing is free, which includes HD from BBC and ITV
    So thank you Sky I must say no, I think you know where to go
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,222
    Forum Member

LOL well done that man, that deserves a round of applause. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very nice, theShadowMan, it made me smile.

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pin that at the top of this forum!!!!:D
  • Options
    White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can say is that if Sky isn't feeling the heat why are they now offering £100 of M&S vouchers (£50 to existing customer and £50 to new customer) to any existing customers who recommend Sky+ to a friend.

This coming on top of the HD price reduction?

Maybe they just like giving away money.
  • Options
    TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can say is that if Sky isn't feeling the heat why are they now offering £100 of M&S vouchers (£50 to existing customer and £50 to new customer) to any existing customers who recommend Sky+ to a friend.

It's just marketing.

The obviously know that, on average, when they sign up a customer they will make more that £100 profit in some relevant timeframe and so this is a cost effective way of selling.

There's no doubt that Sky are making less money than they would otherwise do because of Freesat and, even more, Freeview, but it's not going to cause them many headaches.

From their figures they seem to still be signing people up at a rate of knots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tern wrote: »
    From their figures they seem to still be signing people up at a rate of knots.

I think this is purely because so many people still haven't even heard of Freesat. My 2 brothers started yelling at me about the monthly cost when I got Freesat set up for my Mother.....said I was talking rubbish when I tried to explain it was free.
    When they saw the dish go up, all my neighbours kept asking me how I was enjoying my sky channels and also didn't have a clue when I said I'm not with Sky.
    From what I've seen, if you're not very technically minded and don't generally keep up with latest gadgets, chances are you don't know about Freesat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member

This coming on top of the HD price reduction?

Maybe they just like giving away money.
    That's not new - they've had that offer for years!