Lewis - New Series

Comments

• The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    doesn't mean it was the right decision though - just a way for ITV to milk it and keep the audience for 6 weeks instead of three...
    The stories work better in one long block in my opinion

Well yes it does seem to be the right decision actually - ITV relies on good ratings for advertising revenue and higher audiences mean they are more likely to recommission shows.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate a story split into 2 x 1 hour episodes I have recorded it and will record the next hour and the watch them one after the other, cutting out the adverts and the usual 10 minutes of introductory title curd at the start of the second episode which will inevitably go though a reminder of what happened in the first episode and then immediately to the first batch of adverts. Two hours condensed to about 1 hour 15 minutes, because one can guarantee Lewis will be advert heavy.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    I hate a story split into 2 x 1 hour episodes I have recorded it and will record the next hour and the watch them one after the other, cutting out the adverts.....

Same here.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well yes it does seem to be the right decision actually - ITV relies on good ratings for advertising revenue and higher audiences mean they are more likely to recommission shows.

This is the last series of Lewis,
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Lewis's first words to Hathaway are when they are in the latter's car, where he complains about the monotonous repetitive religious music on his car's CD.

This was immediately after I'd had to endure at least three and a half minutes of Barrington Phelong's monotonous background music during the opening credits, which seemed little more than the same four long notes played repetitively.

"What were the chances of that happening?"

Fortunately, there were times when there was no background music, I quite enjoyed those.

That Phelong music to which you allude, above, has always spoiled these series as it never seems to stop and persists even when there is dialogue - get rid off it, PLEASE! Too late now, I know as it's all in the can.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Same here.

I much prefer it this way as even with a recorder, two hours on the trot was far too long. But as I said, with skipping all the ad breaks it made a reasonable 45 minutes of entertainment except for that bloody music, for which that Mr Phelong is responsible.
  • CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This interview with Kevin Whately was shown on Meridian News on Monday, he talks about whether Lewis and Laura get together and whether there'll be another series

http://vimeo.com/56902983#
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I don't like the programme being split in two. It ruins it for me. I could watch the full 2 hours and fast forward through the adverts....maybe that's why they did it???
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carman wrote: »
    This interview with Kevin Whately was shown on Meridian News on Monday, he talks about whether Lewis and Laura get together and whether there'll be another series

http://vimeo.com/56902983#

He needs to jump at the chance of a new series, it's not like he's Laurence Olivier, is he?

So many of these actors try something else and their limitations are revealed. Stephen Tompkinson is the classic example.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He needs to jump at the chance of a new series, it's not like he's Laurence Olivier, is he?

So many of these actors try something else and their limitations are revealed. Stephen Tompkinson is the classic example.

I think perhaps using the word Stephen Tompkinson and actor in the same sentence is pushing it a bit. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    And the killer is ......
    Brother in the wheelchair
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not only cut in half but a DOG on catch-up. That's me out of this series.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrlimbo wrote: »
    And the killer is ......
    Brother in the wheelchair

And the motive will be
    something which happened 20 years ago. We've had the "death of someone who knew something", so it's time for "documents from the past".
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of splitting the story into 2 hour episodes at this time of year. Gives me something to look forward to on Monday nights during the cold, dark and horrible months of January and February.
  • ladydedlock77ladydedlock77 Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    This is the last series of Lewis,
    I'm going to say hi because I think this is my first time posting in this section. Please take it easy on me.
    I am so upset I love this show. It is brilliant tv that makes your think. I am of course going to miss Laurence fox because he is gorgeous but I am also wondering what both Laurence an Kevin are going to go on to do. They are both brilliant Brilliant British actors.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,028
    Forum Member
    I'm going to say hi because I think this is my first time posting in this section. Please take it easy on me.
    I am so upset I love this show. It is brilliant tv that makes your think. I am of course going to miss Laurence fox because he is gorgeous but I am also wondering what both Laurence an Kevin are going to go on to do. They are both brilliant Brilliant British actors.

As we posted earlier here Lawrence like many young British actors wants to have the fame and fortune of a US movie career. So has moved to Hollywood with his wife Billy Piper to try his luck.

Kevin said he would only continue with Lawrence and wants 2013 off work. Is getting on. There are rumours ITV are trying to persuade him to do one off specials from 2014 onwards, with or without Lawrence.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like it being split into two episodes. It's bad enough with shows over consecutive days, but after a week, it's not easy to pick up the story again, so the flow of the story is no longer smooth.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor, unconvincing ending - still feels like Fox and Whately are going through the motions. Hope the next batch fare better.
  • ladydedlock77ladydedlock77 Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    As we posted earlier here Lawrence like many young British actors wants to have the fame and fortune of a US movie career. So has moved to Hollywood with his wife Billy Piper to try his luck.

Kevin said he would only continue with Lawrence and wants 2013 off work. Is getting on. There are rumours ITV are trying to persuade him to do one off specials from 2014 onwards, with or without Lawrence.

I hope they succeed in keeping Kevin he is a brilliant actor. Much as I love Laurence I do not think he is hollywood material.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor, unconvincing ending - still feels like Fox and Whately are going through the motions. Hope the next batch fare better.

I did mention after last week's episode;

I noticed Leslie Vickerage had a "bit part" as Mrs Dutta in this episode. She was "high profile" at one time, (female lead in "Between the Lines") so I think we might be seeing more of her in part 2.

Didn't want to give the game away suggesting that I thought she'd turn out to be the murderer.

Barry Pheloung's background music gets worse each time.
    Constant repetitive "noodling" of not much more than four long notes.
    Dreadful!
  • Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    :p
    I don't like it being split into two episodes. It's bad enough with shows over consecutive days, but after a week, it's not easy to pick up the story again, so the flow of the story is no longer smooth.

I agree. Next week I think I'll record the first part and watch it the following week before the second part.
  • Night OwlNight Owl Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Missed it! Totally forgot it was on, can anyone tell me what happened please?
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Night Owl wrote: »
    Missed it! Totally forgot it was on, can anyone tell me what happened please?

I'll put in spoiler tags just in case anyone comes on this thread before watching it for some reason:
    They found out that Vicky had been injected with a horse tranquillizer and that some of the same drug had been stolen from a nearby riding stables. Jessica (the cat killer) was on the list of volunteers at the stables but when Lewis got to her house she was unconscious. Frank the blogger had been at her house and it turned out he had just gone round to have it out with her because of her claiming she saw a vision of him killing Reuben, but she over-reacted to him threatening her and knocked herself out or something. They found out that Polly's mum had been to Reuben's office on the day of his death (the boy was in the car with her when she went and he told the police) and she eventually admitted that she had been there but it was because she had been having him followed to see if he was having an affair and when it turned out he wasn't, she offered him money to divorce Polly but he wouldn't. The police got Reuben's appointment book, sorry I can't remember how exactly now but I think Polly gave it to them and it was in code. They found the initials of his clients and KD was the last one to have seen him. The Superintendant told them they had to lay off the Professor the next day because of the top secret government defence thingy that he was involved with, so they had to question him quick, and found out that one of the subjects of his sleep-deprivation experiments had the surname Dutta. They quickly zoomed off to Kanan Dutta's house straight away without checking into it any further and arrested him, he confessed to everything but then Hathaway looked at an envelope he had picked up and realised that Mrs Dutta's name began with K as well (Katherine) so then they realised that she was the real killer and her husband was protecting her, and they had to quickly go and stop her from injecting the Professor at the covered market, but he didn't have his mobile with him so they had to run around the market looking for him, and they spotted him when Mrs Dutta was about to get him, so Hathaway rugby-tackled her to stop her and she injected him but luckily it only went into his surgical collar thing and also luckily, his neck was all better afterwards. Mrs Dutta had been seeing Reuben in his fake psychic guise and he had helped her contact her dead daughter, but then she took her husband's place in the sleep deprivation experiment and the Professor and Vicky were horrible trying to make her stop believing stuff, and she saw Reuben there and realised he was tricking her, so then she had to kill them all with the drug that they had used on elephants abroad - she had smuggled it into the UK to kill herself with so she could join her daughter, but she went to see the psychic first to make sure her daughter was really in an afterlife waiting for her.

Then Hathaway felt a bit sad and had to sit down for a bit. I think that's more or less it.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,028
    Forum Member
    I did mention after last week's episode;

I noticed Leslie Vickerage had a "bit part" as Mrs Dutta in this episode. She was "high profile" at one time, (female lead in "Between the Lines") so I think we might be seeing more of her in part 2.

Definitely she was my teenage fantasy in series 1 of Between the Lines :D She had a fantastic figure in those days and didn't mind getting them out :D

She has had occasionally parts since then like the girlfriend in Inspector Lynley. Don't know if she stopped working to have a family, as has been in a number of shows in the last couple of years after a long absence.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't like the programme being split in two. It ruins it for me. I could watch the full 2 hours and fast forward through the adverts....maybe that's why they did it???

Was glad I Sky + last weeks started watching it at 8.30 skipped the ads and then started watching tonight's episode immediately afterwards again skipping the ads and the long intro showing a few minutes of last weeks programme again as a reminder. Two hours reduced to probably 1hr 20 minutes of Lewis.