Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    VERY cool research, SusieSag!

Thank, mmD. It was a bit of fun detective work to piece together. And I don't like someone trying to fool folks. So I look for the real story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we all feel that way, dcdmfan. LG was supposed to be at first, perhaps, the well-adjusted single school teacher shown in polar opposite of the problematic DM. However, the writers and such begin toying with LG's character fairly quickly and while we get the basis of DM's personality, the inconsistency of LG and how she has gotten much worse herself throughout the series has left many of us trying to figure her out and what the show wants us to think of her. We are now up to them saying she is "flawed" and "cannot multitask" but for how she overall acts at times, and why she does so, it can indeed leave us very confused and frustrated.

I agree with you and dcdmfan very much. I am not sure (but would love to know) if it is because
    a) too many people have input into LG and her character has become confused?
    b) the male writers currently writing DM don't understand women?
    c) the male writers currently writing DM really see women as confused/confusing individuals?
    d) the writers are only concerned about LG as a foil for the main DM character?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank, mmD. It was a bit of fun detective work to piece together. And I don't like someone trying to fool folks. So I look for the real story.

Thanks susie. I would prefer to wait to see DM on TV rather than pay to see it. But i think this has something to do with the fact that my Internet is so slow that streaming doesn't work so my only option is downloading. I can see good value in some of the sharing websites.

Given the choice I would prefer to buy DVDs which I can see over and over and know the money is going back to the producers etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we all feel that way, dcdmfan. LG was supposed to be at first, perhaps, the well-adjusted single school teacher shown in polar opposite of the problematic DM. However, the writers and such begin toying with LG's character fairly quickly and while we get the basis of DM's personality, the inconsistency of LG and how she has gotten much worse herself throughout the series has left many of us trying to figure her out and what the show wants us to think of her. We are now up to them saying she is "flawed" and "cannot multitask" but for how she overall acts at times, and why she does so, it can indeed leave us very confused and frustrated.

Confused and frustrated and not all tied up in a pretty pink bow is part of what keeps us interested in this story playing out on the telly. In library and literature training, we talk about "happiness-binding endings" in stories. When we do get a tied together happy ending, we are often ready to put the book down and go on to another something different one. The writing in this show gives us a complicated mix of happiness, hope, and yet frustration and confusion and I think many of our minds want the happiness-binding ending, but then what?

So "moving the relationship forward" in some way as MC has said gives us a chance to re-engage with our hopes and fears for them, while entertaining us massively. For example, the S4 ending with LG having the baby in the pub and Doc spilling his feelings gave us some happiness but then his comment about the baby and the misshapen head puts us right back to confused and frustrated and "Is the whole thing really going to work out?" We are riding a clever roller coaster that plays our feelings and heartstrings and I appreciate the fine quality of how they do it. :)

As to the LG character, you're right, she is introduced as sensible and caring. But when we find out about her dad and mum and upbringing, we see a source for her insecurity and DM pushes the insecure button in her, just as he also struggles with his own insecurities and upbringing. They are mirror images in that sense and both exhibit a defensive response that serves neither well. I think....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Thanks susie. I would prefer to wait to see DM on TV rather than pay to see it. But i think this has something to do with the fact that my Internet is so slow that streaming doesn't work so my only option is downloading. I can see good value in some of the sharing websites.

Given the choice I would prefer to buy DVDs which I can see over and over and know the money is going back to the producers etc.

Yup! I agree. But, golly gee, it is so hard to wait to see our adored MC and DM, isn't it?!?!
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually don't have that much trouble figuring out, to my satisfaction at least, where Louisa is "coming from" when she shows up at Martin's door.

At the risk of being accused once again of a Harlequin Romance view of things, what I see about her is this:

The last time we saw Martin and Louisa together, they were realizing belatedly that although they loved each other, a marriage between them would probably make both of them unhappy. I imagine that being in the same village with Martin after that would not only been embarrassing for her but actively painful. So she left, but ultimately had to come back because of her pregnancy. I assume that she still loves him, but probably still feels that a romantic relationship between them is not a good idea. She certainly doesn't want him to marry her out of a sense of obligation

She may not exactly know what she wants from him when she shows up,and putting together any kind of co-parenting relationship with him that won't be painful for both of them is going to be difficult, although I think she is prepared to offer this if things work out. So she is nervous. The last thing she expects is that he's with another woman. I think she's actually quite hurt by this -- she may have had some romantic dream that they could be friends while cherishing a bittersweet feeling for each other. That's shattered (in her agitated and over-hasty view.)

She's not very fleshed out in the series 1-3 -- really mostly an idealized character sketch. I see S5 as making them get to grips with reality instead of romance, and how it would be to be with an actual flesh and blood woman instead of an idealized version. The fact that he THEN makes that declaration of love is very significant, I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I actually don't have that much trouble figuring out, to my satisfaction at least, where Louisa is "coming from" when she shows up at Martin's door.

At the risk of being accused once again of a Harlequin Romance view of things, what I see about her is this:

The last time we saw Martin and Louisa together, they were realizing belatedly that although they loved each other, a marriage between them would probably make both of them unhappy. I imagine that being in the same village with Martin after that would not only been embarrassing for her but actively painful. So she left, but ultimately had to come back because of her pregnancy. I assume that she still loves him, but probably still feels that a romantic relationship between them is not a good idea. She certainly doesn't want him to marry her out of a sense of obligation

She may not exactly know what she wants from him when she shows up,and putting together any kind of co-parenting relationship with him that won't be painful for both of them is going to be difficult, although I think she is prepared to offer this if things work out. So she is nervous. The last thing she expects is that he's with another woman. I think she's actually quite hurt by this -- she may have had some romantic dream that they could be friends while cherishing a bittersweet feeling for each other. That's shattered (in her agitated and over-hasty view.)

She's not very fleshed out in the series 1-3 -- really mostly an idealized character sketch. I see S5 as making them get to grips with reality instead of romance, and how it would be to be with an actual flesh and blood woman instead of an idealized version. The fact that he THEN makes that declaration of love is very significant, I think.

I'll second that! Last sentence: dynamite!
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    This guy's channel features his obvious obsession with nipples. :eek::oHis latest vid is a scene with MC in MBB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe7mu5v1IjY

That guy is CREEPY!
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confused and frustrated and not all tied up in a pretty pink bow is part of what keeps us interested in this story playing out on the telly. In library and literature training, we talk about "happiness-binding endings" in stories. When we do get a tied together happy ending, we are often ready to put the book down and go on to another something different one. The writing in this show gives us a complicated mix of happiness, hope, and yet frustration and confusion and I think many of our minds want the happiness-binding ending, but then what?

So "moving the relationship forward" in some way as MC has said gives us a chance to re-engage with our hopes and fears for them, while entertaining us massively. For example, the S4 ending with LG having the baby in the pub and Doc spilling his feelings gave us some happiness but then his comment about the baby and the misshapen head puts us right back to confused and frustrated and "Is the whole thing really going to work out?" We are riding a clever roller coaster that plays our feelings and heartstrings and I appreciate the fine quality of how they do it. :)

As to the LG character, you're right, she is introduced as sensible and caring. But when we find out about her dad and mum and upbringing, we see a source for her insecurity and DM pushes the insecure button in her, just as he also struggles with his own insecurities and upbringing. They are mirror images in that sense and both exhibit a defensive response that serves neither well. I think....

Indeed, the show is leaving me entertained but another season like S5, will by no means enhance my loyalty to the series, but probably may make me tired of it. They have taken these characters as far as I want to see them with DM and LG screeching at each other, not understanding each other, and her leaving him. To remain committed to the show now I need to see some humor, some softness, and some commitment of them as a couple, working hard to appreciate each other and get things right, even if they stumble along the way.

There is nothing wrong with a happy ending, or at least one which doesn't rely on some deus ex machina machinations to occur. Let's let them prove their originality and innovations by not repeating well done themes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    How cool was that! What fun: Christo and the medium of cocktail umbrellas!

The visual jokes in DM were what I was missing so much of when I first started watching, due to my overzealous crocheting and embroidery projects. I did finally figure out to watch it hands-free!

S1E4, The Portwenn Effect, was on my local cable the other night and I looked for the couple sillouhuetted in the window when DM leaves the dance - cut from the PBS version. So someone is watching more closely than a lot of us were.

Also, the DCI Banks with CC was on right after this so I got to see the opposite ends of the CC spectrum
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, the show is leaving me entertained but another season like S5, will by no means enhance my loyalty to the series, but probably may make me tired of it. They have taken these characters as far as I want to see them with DM and LG screeching at each other, not understanding each other, and her leaving him. To remain committed to the show now I need to see some humor, some softness, and some commitment of them as a couple, working hard to appreciate each other and get things right, even if they stumble along the way.

There is nothing wrong with a happy ending, or at least one which doesn't rely on some deus ex machina machinations to occur. Let's let them prove their originality and innovations by not repeating well done themes.

Indeed! I fully expect another variation on moving the relationship along in S6. I can't wait to see what and how it is done this time. The profession of his love and the "not going to be like my father, etc." to LG is really I think an important factor and I'm itching to see how it plays out.

Of course, that just brought up the question of what did he really mean by the reference about "not being like his father, etc." I think I just realized there may be some ambiguity in it that the writers might play with. I know I'm getting ahead of the re-watch, so feel free to ignore the question until we get there.

Then again there was the warning from MC that S6 might be the last, so they could just tie it all up in a pretty pink bow for us. Truly I hope not unless there just is nothing else BP wants to do with it. And that would make me :cry: and :mad: and :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    S1E4, The Portwenn Effect, was on my local cable the other night and I looked for the couple sillouhuetted in the window when DM leaves the dance - cut from the PBS version. So someone is watching more closely than a lot of us were.

Also, the DCI Banks with CC was on right after this so I got to see the opposite ends of the CC spectrum

I've seen this bit several times but don't know if I saw it when it was broadcast by our OPB station, but it is there on Hulu. Anyhow, it made me go back and look at it again, and reminded me of how much I enjoyed his conversation with AJ just before he leaves the dance.

Then I noticed Gremlin licking his hand as he talks to Al, and I think that is another little visual joke I saw but didn't connect to the before mentioned couple. Just a guess...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Busted!!! Nice work! Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Lol, this did indeed make me laugh!

I am pleased you have taken such an interest in my work. BritTV - TvCatchup and many other websites legal stance is not for the ill informed to decide. It is something that each service must address with the relevant body's.

You have no idea nor can you presume to know what debates, issues, agreements or lack there of we undertake.

A number of you are those attempting to view UK TV Online, we are the people bringing it to you.

Less of the hostility, this is simply business. :p

Well done on the whois lookup, i had no idea such information was freely available :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, a lot less screeching, and a bit more tolerance.

And none at all of the prissy powder-blue pajamas -- back to the nightwear of S1.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Amen. :)
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Random thoughts:

5. Louisa says at the end, "Thanks anyway, Martin" to which he clearly takes offense. And he did try heroically to help in the situation. But clumsily, and convinced he was right and seemingly making the situation worse before he saved the day. I agree with Mona that on balance, the "anyway" was gratuitous and unnecessary.

My read on this was different. I thought the "anyway" was dismissive of the situation, not diminishing the gratitude for help. His reaction was more concern of her lack of concern of the risk to the baby.

I thought it strange that when the baby moved DM didn't have the natural response of wanting to feel it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Want to see a New Orleans tourist video in which we briefly see MC? Obviously the person filming has no idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS1muqMQBSw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many times they had to film the scene with Mr. Strain and DM in the water at Roscarrick Cove?

Lemster, I think he might have wanted to feel the baby move but we don't know because Edith drove up just at that moment but also I don't think he felt welcome to do it.

In the schoolroom, I think the scene where he reaches out to shake her hand is filmed rather slyly, so that one almost thinks he is in fact reaching out to touch her stomach.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. I am one who thinks that Louisa was hoping to have a positive reaction from Martin when she showed up at his door - including possibly staying with him. Once her job in London dried up and she decided to go back to Portwenn, I suspect she wanted to maybe try again because they now had another reason to make it work. But seeing Edith sitting at his kitchen table threw her. Has he ever had anyone sitting at his kitchen table other than AJ or maybe Bert? And in the evening to boot? She had been gone for six months so I really can't blame her for putting 2 and 2 together and getting 12. The problem is that she kept up the "going it alone" refrain.

2. Good thing Martin's back was to her when he was leaning into Edith's car, because he actually smiled when he accepted her invitation to dinner. I think this might be one of those times that he actually considered moving on with her. The fact that it came right after the "Thanks anyway" quote was significant. If Louisa had seen the smile it would have devastated her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the schoolroom, I think the scene where he reaches out to shake her hand is filmed rather slyly, so that one almost thinks he is in fact reaching out to touch her stomach.

It's me agreeing again...

I always thought DM was reaching out to maybe touch her tummy too...if he was brave enough...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    If Louisa had seen the smile it would have devastated her.

How many ' If only's ' can we clock up...?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BritTV wrote: »
    Lol, this did indeed make me laugh!

I am pleased you have taken such an interest in my work. BritTV - TvCatchup and many other websites legal stance is not for the ill informed to decide. It is something that each service must address with the relevant body's.

You have no idea nor can you presume to know what debates, issues, agreements or lack there of we undertake.

A number of you are those attempting to view UK TV Online, we are the people bringing it to you.

Less of the hostility, this is simply business. :p

Well done on the whois lookup, i had no idea such information was freely available :D:D

Sitting alone in your room with your sad computer, anonymous even to your parents, you prefer hostility to no attention at all. I feel sorry for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Sitting alone in your room with your sad computer, anonymous even to your parents, you prefer hostility to no attention at all. I feel sorry for you.

Oh dear, what an imagination! How i wish it was the case. Would reduce my overheads dramatically!

I shall leave you to your discussion on your admiration for Martin Clunes in the fictitious Doc Martin. Clearly im just to sad for this forum! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    BritTV wrote: »

You must not know very much about computers or the internet if you did not know what is contained in a simple whois lookup. Let us see what a simple traceroute discloses...

I took the first 5 hops out to avoid disclosing my location. The average response time over the first five hops was 22ms.

This trace was started on Feb 12, 2013 6:53:43 AM.

The host brittv.co.uk could not be reached - however, it does respond to http requests on port 80, which indicates that the host is actually up and running (it is running server Apache, which responded in 329ms).Hops after hop 13 could not be identified - this is usually indicative of a firewall at that point. The DNS lookup was completed almost instantaneously (less than 2ms - this may be the result of caching).

| Hop | %Loss | IP Address | Node Name | Location | Tzone | ms | Graph | Network |
    |
    | 6 | | 12.83.36.5 | - | Morristown, NJ, USA | -05:00 | 23 | -x | AT&T Worldnet Services |
    | 7 | | 12.122.212.9 | - | Middletown, NJ, USA | -05:00 | 27 | x | AT&T Worldnet Services |
    | 8 | 14 | 192.205.32.26 | - | Indianapolis, IN, USA | | 27 | x | AT&T Services, Inc. |
    | 9 | | 89.149.180.70 | xe-5-0-0.cph10.ip4.tinet.net | (Germany) | | 153 | x | Tinet International Network |
    | 10 | | 141.136.100.254 | once-com-gw.ip4.tinet.net | (Germany) | | 164 | -x- | Tinet International Network |
    | 11 | | 46.30.208.198 | - | (Denmark) | | 164 | -x-- | One.com Network Infrastructure |
    | 12 | | 46.30.208.209 | - | (Denmark) | | 157 | x | One.com Network Infrastructure |
    | 13 | | 46.30.208.217 | - | (Denmark) | | 157 | x | One.com Network Infrastructure |
    | 14 | | 46.30.208.67 | reth3-3908.fw1.ix1.dk.net.one.com | (Denmark) | | 157 | x- | One.com Network Infrastructure |
    | ? | 100 | ... | - | | | | | - |
    | ? | 100 | 193.202.110.125 | brittv.co.uk | (Denmark) | | | | One.com A/S |

The reason why the feed may be so choppy for the board members that try this service is that there is alot of packet loss and is rather slow in response once you hit the German/Danish/Dutch part of the route.

I have not tried accessing your website because my antivirus/antimalware/antispyware software blocks it as being a dangerous site that would put my security at risk. (My AV software is professional grade, most consumer AV software is not as robust and will not flag it.)

For more information see the following links:

http://digsitevalue.net/s/brittv.co.uk
    http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/brittv.co.uk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rory Wilton (AKA Chippy the crab man) is tweeting teasers about casting for DM. But no solid information.
This discussion has been closed.