Sherlock - BBC Drama (Part 3)

Comments

• nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Hmm, interesting. Can anyone remember if John actually showed Mary the stick she gave him - in that 'This stick you gave me? I don't need to read it' - way people do, prior to him throwing it in the fire? Presumably he did, as he wanted her to see he was destroying it. Therefore, considering pic 2 is different to pic 1, wouldn't/ shouldn't Mary have noticed it wasn't the same one she gave him? And pic 3 is different again to pic 2, so the one John threw in the fire isn't the same one he showed her, so he's got two USB sticks with him, both slightly wrong duplications of the original ! Did he put his hand back in his pocket between pics 2 and 3? As much as we'd like to think they wouldn't have a props cock-up, I think that is the most likely explanation. The only other is that John duplicated it twice and got it wrong both times !

Yes, I've noticed (on my second viewing yay!) that John did put his hand in his pocket before throwing the USB stick in the fire.

I don't know but he may have been putting his hand in his pocketses to see if the One Ring was still there, though. :p
  • fiveinabedfiveinabed Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    I don't know but he may have been putting his hand in his pocketses to see if the One Ring was still there, though. :p

Yes, he has a hobbit of doing that.:D
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    Hmm not sure, John is a tough cookie. He is not averse to law breaking and cold blooded murder. He is no saint.

I agree with this, but blackmail is altogether different, which is why I thought it might not be in character.

I suppose we're going to have an awfully long wait to find out.:(

Perhaps all of the theorists will be able to amuse themselves with this in the meantime.;-)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/s129/sherlock/news/a539680/sherlock-goes-digital-with-the-network-official-app.html
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I agree with this, but blackmail is altogether different, which is why I thought it might not be in character.

I suppose we're going to have an awfully long wait to find out.:(

Perhaps all of the theorists will be able to amuse themselves with this in the meantime.;-)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/s129/sherlock/news/a539680/sherlock-goes-digital-with-the-network-official-app.html

I am getting that :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi nethwen, that was me who was looking for it. Thanks so much for sharing the link. I'm looking forward to reading what they had to say about HLV. :)

Thank you Belle, and you're very welcome. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fiveinabed wrote: »
    Yes, he has a hobbit of doing that.:D

:D

By the look on his face I think he was thinking "There be dragons". :p
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor John, I bet he's scared of Mary, leave her and she'll ninja him for sure.

Get involved with anyone else? Trail of death.

He's well trapped, she's utterly ruthless.

And thus needs to die.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I think the end credits scene is supposed to tell us Moriarty is really alive. Also and at the TV in hte pub you can see a figure and it looks like he's standing at a different angle to the Miss me shot, it's slight and just for a second when see he shot of the static on the TV but it's there quite notably.
  • clareiowclareiow Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Regards the memory stick - Sherlock says to john just before he collapses that he can trust Mary.

Now, whether John decides against that I don't know but I personally think he loves her enough and, with sherlocks approval, feels he can forgive.

My question is this, what's the time frame for the episode? The shooting must be about a month to two months after the wedding as Mary isn't showing her pregnancy, and the wedding was in the summer. Sherlock collapses a week after the shooting and he's only just out of hospital for Christmas (according to mrs Holmes) and Mary is considerably bigger. So how long was he recovering for?!? No wonder he had an elaborate plan for getting into CAMs "vaults".
  • GreenJadeDragonGreenJadeDragon Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clareiow wrote: »
    Regards the memory stick - Sherlock says to john just before he collapses that he can trust Mary.

Now, whether John decides against that I don't know but I personally think he loves her enough and, with sherlocks approval, feels he can forgive.

My question is this, what's the time frame for the episode? The shooting must be about a month to two months after the wedding as Mary isn't showing her pregnancy, and the wedding was in the summer. Sherlock collapses a week after the shooting and he's only just out of hospital for Christmas (according to mrs Holmes) and Mary is considerably bigger. So how long was he recovering for?!? No wonder he had an elaborate plan for getting into CAMs "vaults".

Well, the way I thought it was
    Episode 1 - Nov 5, wedding set for May
    Episode 2 - May-ish, Mary about 6-8 weeks pregnant
    Episode 3 - shooting occurs a month after the wedding then by Christmas Mary should be about 8-9 months pregnant?

Also, did anyone else notice that Sherlock told John about Mary by putting her perfume on the table besides John's chair when Sherlock puts it back in the flat after escaping from the hospital! if that makes sense?
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched "Reichenbach Fall" again.
    It is feasible that Moriarty survived.
    The gun was pointed into his mouth but we didnt actually see the impact and at that range there would have been brain/skull matter everywhere,which there isnt. His head is still intact when the camera cuts to it.
    That suggests the bullet could have passed though his throat,not blown his brains out.

Then we all get distracted by the fuss below,giving plenty of time for something else to be happening on the roof with the Moriarty network.

Also what IS all this ambiguity about the "brother". Its mentioned in
    this episode too.Are they going to make Moriarty into the third brother,the bad brother?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    henry_hope wrote: »
    The gun was pointed into his mouth but we didnt actually see the impact and at that range there would have been brain/skull matter everywhere,which there isnt. His head is still intact when the camera cuts to it.
    That suggests the bullet could have passed though his throat,not blown his brains out.

Do you not think that master detective Sherlock would have noticed?
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats possible,but there still remains a window of opportunity for them to plot otherwise if they want to.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    There's perhaps an argument to be made that he had a lot of other stuff on his mind at the time.

I'll also just add (on a different note) that I'm really not sure why people are so obsessed with the idea of getting rid of Mary (this is not true I am but still). They've shown no signs of wanting to get rid of Mary and spent chunks of this series establishing her as part of the show. I think perhaps people have to accept that she's here to stay (at least until they kill her off) and just get over it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to think that we find out more details about Mary, but for me blackmail seems a bit out of character for John somehow.
    If Moriarty is back there's a huge opportunity for them to further explore Mary's back story some more. There's no reason to think that Moriarty couldn't and wouldn't figure out who she is. Of course the concern with that plot point would be that it might cross over a little too much with what we've just seen since presumably he'd use that information to get at Watson/Sherlock.
    Forum Member
    Well, the way I thought it was
    Episode 1 - Nov 5, wedding set for May
    Episode 2 - May-ish, Mary about 6-8 weeks pregnant
    Episode 3 - shooting occurs a month after the wedding then by Christmas Mary should be about 8-9 months pregnant?

Also, did anyone else notice that Sherlock told John about Mary by putting her perfume on the table besides John's chair when Sherlock puts it back in the flat after escaping from the hospital! if that makes sense?

That does make sense, he left a trail for john to find out definitely.
    I don't think she was that far gone, could be wrong, but I did think that, for her size, she seemed very uncomfortable, she couldn't get up easily. I wondered if that was the set up for her death/exit?

I may well be overthinking!

As with the next query I have. Janine in the hospital, she said "you lied and lied" to Sherlock and then when she left she said "one more thing, you shouldn't have lied". Accidental repetition by the writers do you think? Or was the second statement more of a threat?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clareiow wrote: »
    As with the next query I have. Janine in the hospital, she said "you lied and lied" to Sherlock and then when she left she said "one more thing, you shouldn't have lied". Accidental repetition by the writers do you think? Or was the second statement more of a threat?
    I didn't hear that as a threat but more her telling him that he didn't need to lie. She would have played along as long as she got something out of it.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one to say that Benedict was superb in that final episode? Martin gets the plaudits quite rightly but Benedict gets overlooked.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clareiow wrote:
    Janine in the hospital, she said "you lied and lied" to Sherlock
    What kind of lies did Sherlock say to Janine?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    What kind of lies did Sherlock say to Janine?:confused:
    Well he proposed to her for a start.

Presumably there were a few lies before getting to that point.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member

They may have wanted it the way you describe but that wouldn't make for pre-watershed viewing would it.

I reckon it's someone hiding behind Moriarty.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlexiR wrote:
    Well he proposed to her for a start.

Presumably there were a few lies before getting to that point.
    Janine is a tough cookie, if anything it looked like she was fooling Sherlock and Sherlock was fooling Janine.:D At the wedding she even said he would be useful.
    Forum Member
    For the record, agreeing with the earlier entry, Benedict was astounding in this episode, there was a lot of personal issues dealt with and keeping the character present while exposing a softer side (Redbeard and the mind palace in general), was quite brilliant. His portrayal of the pain was excellent too, how he manages it without the experience to draw upon is so clever.

I've seen on twitter that the staircase he goes down/up in the mind palace is the same one he and John use in A Study in Pink!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

Then we all get distracted by the fuss below,giving plenty of time for something else to be happening on the roof with the Moriarty network.

Also what IS all this ambiguity about the "brother". Its mentioned in
    this episode too.Are they going to make Moriarty into the third brother,the bad brother?
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    AlexiR wrote: »
    There's perhaps an argument to be made that he had a lot of other stuff on his mind at the time.
    What about Mycroft, Lestrade and Molly?
    They would be expecting a body.

If it didn't actually happen and Moriarty didn't die on the roof then that leaves a lot more questions as to why Moriary just disappeared and non of them mentioned him again, especially when Sherlock returned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    Am I the only one to say that Benedict was superb in that final episode? Martin gets the plaudits quite rightly but Benedict gets overlooked.
    I've always loved Martin Freeman's acting - he can portray so much emotion in such an understated way ( I know he's not to everyone's taste, though).
    Benedict took a while to grow on me - probably because he's such a different Sherlock to those that've gone before, plus when Sherlock started, I'd not seen him in anything else.
    But yes, I think he's great and his performance in this episode was excellent..I think it must be quite a challenging role because he often has quite a range of characteristics and emotions to portray; I've come to really like his acting.