Gary Barlow- The Taxman Cometh for the Evader.

Comments

• Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    Oh of course it would have been screened at some point, I've no idea when the program was made, last summer at a guess. Just questioning if the timing of it may have been orchestrated a bit.

I'm a dreadful cynic and even I think it's just a coincidence. Barlow's on the telly so often, something was bound to coincide with his tax judgement.
    whatever54 wrote: »
    BIB>:( I much prefer Robbie & think Gary is a tit>:(

Whatever happened to Robbie? He seems to have been forgotten and Barlow seems to have reclaimed his throne.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loathe Gary Borelow so I really hope this is indeed going to happen. How he can demand other people give to charity when he won't even pay his tax makes me sick.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary might regret not reading this

Tax Avoidance: A practical guide for UK residents. Only £13.45 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tax-Avoidance-practical-guide-residents/dp/1411623800/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1399757705&sr=1-6&keywords=tax+avoidance
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I'm a dreadful cynic and even I think it's just a coincidence. Barlow's on the telly so often, something was bound to coincide with his tax judgement.

Whatever happened to Robbie? He seems to have been forgotten and Barlow seems to have reclaimed his throne.

You're probably right but it was a rather glowing 'Gary is a top man' portrayal. All that 'the media made my life hell, I couldn't leave the house'. I must remember it differently, yes they took the mickey but I'm sure I've read far worse about other singers/celebs. Anyway the press seem to be making amends now with golden boy.

Going to be a dad for the second time:) Probably enough cash in the bank to chill out for a bit, can't blame him if that's the case.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, what a shame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't agree more with the poster who said tax avoiders like GB are worse than benefit cheats, by the way. Little disgusts me more than a wealthy tax avoider.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Dough wrote: »
    Bono's another one fond of doing that, a case of 'do as I say not as I do'.
    Disgusting selfish greedy people.>:(

Bono is the biggest arsewipe of them all. A total scumbag. >:(
  • BeachhhhhhhBeachhhhhhh Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Spoken like a true accountant, if not a millionaire. :D

Thanks for that judgement!
    I'm 59; got Heart Failure (Level 3) and angina, after a massve heart attack 2 years ago,
    Was working up until then (not as an Accountant!)
    And now just surviving,
    ...Not far out eh?
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the X Factor gig had a lot to do with Barlow's rising so high in people's, 'Oh he is great I love him!' Before that is was Take That but suddenly X Factor and he was pushed forward as Prince Charming, remember Coyle did X Factor and instead of being one of a girl band she was the nation's sweetheart!!

I know friends who might not have paid much attention to him suddenly it was I love Gary, he does so much for charity etc etc etc. I even mentioned the tax thing when it first hit the news and it was all oh but he did no wrong not really it was legal.

As for Collins always hated him and never watched one of his movies. I worked in a video store part time and got them free still refused to watch one.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    donna255 wrote: »
    I think the X Factor gig had a lot to do with Barlow's rising so high in people's, 'Oh he is great I love him!' Before that is was Take That but suddenly X Factor and he was pushed forward as Prince Charming, remember Coyle did X Factor and instead of being one of a girl band she was the nation's sweetheart!!

I know friends who might not have paid much attention to him suddenly it was I love Gary, he does so much for charity etc etc etc. I even mentioned the tax thing when it first hit the news and it was all oh but he did no wrong not really it was legal.

As for Collins always hated him and never watched one of his movies. I worked in a video store part time and got them free still refused to watch one.

Given that he's appeared in the grand total of three theatrical releases, avoiding his movies probably hasn't been too much of a stretch.
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Well, well, it looks like his halo has slipped.

But then again who wouldn't avoid paying tax if they could.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't understand why people who can EASILY afford to pay the full amount try to avoid it with these schemes.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To justify an immoral act with the line "you would do it if you could" is the classic excuse.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I can't understand why people who can EASILY afford to pay the full amount try to avoid it with these schemes.

If they can easily afford it, why not pay a little more? I mean, if they're happy to just throw the money away, even if they don't need to, why stop at 50%? What they actually 'owe' is set out under the tax regulations. But people often confuse that with what they think these people ought to be paying. Lots of people could skip a few nights at the pub or have a staycation this year and donate the saved money to HMRC. I doubt many people will.

In all my life I've never spoken to someone who feels better about paying tax when they're 50 and "wealthy" than they did when they were 20 and broke. In fact, they seem to resent it more, probably because if they're doing well then they get so little in return (private health/education) and the amount they're putting in is a huge proportion of their earnings. So I doubt that's different for celebrities. It's that moment you look at the payslip and then see what new way HMRC is trying to fleece you. And then wonder, what am I actually getting for this?

With taxes on everything, it has become a very tricky legal game between HMRC and accountants. HMRC will try to bleed you dry of every last penny while the accountants will use their rules against them and protect as much as they can. It takes no effort for a celebrity to protect their income, an accountant just asks them to sign a bit of paper and it's done.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Well we all know that nothing will come of this anyway. When it was Jimmy Carr doing the same activity it was front page news - Barlow's involvement this time is hidden away on the inner pages of the newspapers. The guy is Teflon-coated thanks to his 'charidee' work (which at least we all know now is pure tosh).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    I am sickened by Gary's continuing greed and sense of entitlement while knowing that others live on food handouts. He is already one of the richest people in the country - how many more millions does he need??

Does anyone know how the Icebreaker scheme worked or any links to explain it? As far as I know it involves investing in companies that make massive losses and so these losses are then used to reduce the investor's tax bill. So one issue here is whether these were serious companies trying to make a profit or just sham companies set up for the purpose of tax dodging. The dishonesty and deception involved here seems to be beyond mere tax avoidance and more like fraud.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Juc1 wrote: »
    I am sickened by Gary's continuing greed and sense of entitlement while knowing that others live on food handouts. He is already one of the richest people in the country - how many more millions does he need??

Does anyone know how the Icebreaker scheme worked or any links to explain it? As far as I know it involves investing in companies that make massive losses and so these losses are then used to reduce the investor's tax bill. So one issue here is whether these were serious companies trying to make a profit or just sham companies set up for the purpose of tax dodging. The dishonesty and deception involved here seems to be beyond mere tax avoidance and more like fraud.

Not sure if this explains it any clearer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/9343474/Take-That-singers-invested-26m-in-scheme-to-be-challenged-over-tax-avoidance.html

On the news last night it did explain it a little better - but I doubt it will be explained again. This will just disappear in a day or two and Gary, Howard and Mark will be as fragrant as they ever were.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link. Here is some interesting detail:
    The investigation by the Times found Mr Barlow, Mr Donald, Mr Owen and Mr Wild joined two Icebreaker partnerships, one in March 2010 and another in September.
    In March 2010, they put £5.2m of their own money in a partnership called Larkdale LLP and borrowed a further £20.8m.
    According to the newspaper, records show Larkdale registered a loss of £25.2m in April 2010, which was “available for discretionary division among members”.

So a few weeks after Gary etc invest £26m the company posts losses of of £25.2m - it looks like Gary etc are either incredibly unlucky or dishonest.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad he has to pay it..but these celebs like Gary Barlow and Jimmy Carr are smallfry compared to the big businesses/businessmen.

Essentially celeb scapegoats to give the impression something is being done...while the worst offenders get away with it.

Avoiding paying £20 million is nothing ...

...compared to the likes of Bernie Ecclestone avoiding a £1.2 billion tax bill. One man whose tax for that year (if it had been paid) would cover the entirety of benefit fraud in the UK for that year.
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    If they can easily afford it, why not pay a little more? I mean, if they're happy to just throw the money away, even if they don't need to, why stop at 50%? What they actually 'owe' is set out under the tax regulations. But people often confuse that with what they think these people ought to be paying. Lots of people could skip a few nights at the pub or have a staycation this year and donate the saved money to HMRC. I doubt many people will.

In all my life I've never spoken to someone who feels better about paying tax when they're 50 and "wealthy" than they did when they were 20 and broke. In fact, they seem to resent it more, probably because if they're doing well then they get so little in return (private health/education) and the amount they're putting in is a huge proportion of their earnings. So I doubt that's different for celebrities. It's that moment you look at the payslip and then see what new way HMRC is trying to fleece you. And then wonder, what am I actually getting for this?

With taxes on everything, it has become a very tricky legal game between HMRC and accountants. HMRC will try to bleed you dry of every last penny while the accountants will use their rules against them and protect as much as they can. It takes no effort for a celebrity to protect their income, an accountant just asks them to sign a bit of paper and it's done.

Odd to see you in this neck of the woods!
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This will just disappear in a day or two and Gary, Howard and Mark will be as fragrant as they ever were.

The only one who should be smelling of roses is and should be Jason Orange. I think it's very telling he's the only one who decided not to enter the scheme while the rest did.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I bet my hat that every single person in here would do sensible tax planning if they had a decent amount of money. What people don't seem to realise is that most people with any cash usually have accountants and financial planners who do this work for them.
    He has paid more to HMRC in one month than most people will do in a lifetime.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    There seem to be more legal loopholes the richer you get. Funny that. :D

It is just more worthwhile to use convoluted measures when the savings start getting into six and seven figures.
  • janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    donna255 wrote: »

I actually think the X Factor reduced his popularity (not his profile though) as he doesn't have the personality to warrant being seen on TV every week. He came across as boring, hypocritical and condescending.

This morning, Margaret hodge is calling for the OBE to be taken back.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    The only one who should be smelling of roses is and should be Jason Orange. I think it's very telling he's the only one who decided not to enter the scheme while the rest did.

Robbie didn't either. Perhaps their accountants told them don't as you will get caught. Or they are more honest about paying taxes.

Ken Dodd and Lester Piggott both got done for avoiding tax and lost their awards way back. So Gary is no different, take it away.