Options

Cats- are they fighting?

EEfan24EEfan24 Posts: 2,942
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all, I have a 7 year old male cat and an 11 month old female. We got the female last August when she was only a few weeks old. My male cat, 9 months on, still likes to 'fight' with her, and by fight I mean he will randomly pounce on her and they'll roll around on the floor (she also gives as good as she gets!). My question is is this real fighting and he genuinely hates her, or is it play fighting? He doesn't hiss. Other times he will happily be around her but not make much effort to interact, only occasionally licking her ear or something. I really want them to be best buddies but have a feeling it will be a lifetime of tolerating :p

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like play fighting to me.
  • Options
    yoko onoyoko ono Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EEfan24 wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a 7 year old male cat and an 11 month old female. We got the female last August when she was only a few weeks old. My male cat, 9 months on, still likes to 'fight' with her, and by fight I mean he will randomly pounce on her and they'll roll around on the floor (she also gives as good as she gets!). My question is is this real fighting and he genuinely hates her, or is it play fighting? He doesn't hiss. Other times he will happily be around her but not make much effort to interact, only occasionally licking her ear or something. I really want them to be best buddies but have a feeling it will be a lifetime of tolerating :p

Well in the first instance a older resident cat always has to fight a new kitten just to put them in their place.
    Years ago I had 2 cats and when they were 2 years old I got 2 new kittens and the older 2 were terrified of the kittens. In a few short months the kittens ruled things and would fight the older 2 and there was no doubt that it was a real fight, bullying in fact.
    It looks to me as if your 2 are getting along very well, he wouldn't lick her ear if he didn't like her, and the fact that there is no hissing. And good for her for giving 'as good as she gets'.:D.
    Wish my current 2 would get on so well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    it sounds like play fighting but could also be out of boredom as well. i have 2 cats that would play fight with each other until i got them some interactive toys. they take any pent up energy out on the toys rather than each other. the best toy to get them running around is the laser light toys. the best interactive toy is da bird. my cats love both.