If you've criticised Iran on facebook, don't ever visit there.......

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Here you just risk losing your job.

Are you referring to an actual case of someone losing their job in the UK for posting critical comments about Iran on Facebook?
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    I'm not going to be that sympathetic. Iran is a police state, what exactly did she expect?

What if it turns out she posted it in Britain? What right have to do this then?

These dreadful countries seem to be getting worse and worse.
  • OmlOml Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I read about this a few months back and there is definitely more to this story than they are reporting. Surely only her friends can see her status so someone has reported her and who would they have reported her to and why if they are friends???? Alternatively, if her profile is public, how out of the millions of people on Facebook, did the authorities manage to see the offending post. It just doesn't make any sense to me.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    I think they have good reason to be paranoid. Most of their near neighbouring countries as well as other Muslim countries further afield consider them enemies.

Remember the Arab nations said they wanted to push Israel into the sea. You can't blame Israel for defending itself.
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Israel can be similar in their approach :eek:
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    no one wants to talk about the israeli thugs........treating palestinians like dogs.....leave it..we all know its true...no one has the power to change it or if they do they have no will. Another bunch of terrorist *******.........taking peoples lands, and restricting them from using their own land.... Eg for water.....bastads

It was only a matter of time before somebody brought Israel into the equation, as if that is some justification for things going on in Iran.

http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2013/israel

http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2013/iran

Just get over the fact that Israel is the only democratic country in the Middle East and nothing you say will change that.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    It's not so much that they'll imprison them for 20 years, but rather apparently if you've ever said things online which are pro-Palestine or could appear anti-Zionist they may detain you and then deport you.

The Facebook thing reminded me as one journalist (Guardian?) was even asked to log into his Fb account in front of Mossad so they could go through it to check for anti-Zionism.

Seems a bit paranoid to me

Deporting or expelling someone back to their home country isn't really similar to locking them up for 20 years.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Remember the Arab nations said they wanted to push Israel into the sea. You can't blame Israel for defending itself.

It was only a matter of time before somebody brought Israel into the equation, as if that is some justification for things going on in Iran.

http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2013/israel

http://www.freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2013/iran

Just get over the fact that Israel is the only democratic country in the Middle East and nothing you say will change that.

....and as I said in my earlier post, their very gay friendly approach is in stark contrast to the nasty, brutal and punitive stance Iran possesses towards gay people....

I have criticised Israel in the past, but credit where it's due.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dont visit Iran? ok

facebook or not
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    dont visit Iran? ok

facebook or not

It's OK if you've got a good reason to go. I've been selling them parts for nuclear reactors for years now and they seem to love me visiting them.

Don't tell anyone, though......