NowTV App

stocklenstocklen Posts: 4,692
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else tried the NowTV app on the PS4 yet?

Its labelled a 'beta' but the playback is so choppy and stuttering. Makes watching something impossible.

Back to the dedicated NowTV set top box for now then!

I found this to be the case on the PS3 version of the app too....

As it stands theres no way I can use this app due to the streaming quality. (and I do have good quality wireless signal and 60mb broadband.....)

Comments

• fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm off work for a month so I thought I might try the free Sky Movies trial, but if the quality's that bad I might not bother.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm off work for a month so I thought I might try the free Sky Movies trial, but if the quality's that bad I might not bother.

Free Movie trial, where do I find out more ? Can't see anything on the app itself :confused:
  • stocklenstocklen Posts: 4,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong, NowTV is a great service and has good up to date movies on, and is watchable across a wide variety of platforms.

I am very pleased that PS4 finally has an app, but the stuttery playback quality makes it unwatchable for now.

Hoping they fix it soon! I look forward to rationalising the boxes under the TV.... now that 3D blu ray is FINALLY coming next week I can get rid of the PS3... but will hang on to the little £10 NowTV set top box as that seems to stream perfectly happily (though you would have thought the PS4 would be more than capable of matching the quality!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    Free Movie trial, where do I find out more ? Can't see anything on the app itself :confused:

It says something about a 30 day Movies trial on the PS Store page.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtU54G2IQAEtPzZ.jpg

Haven't been into the app itself, so can't help any more than that I'm afraid.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Not that i need it, but would be handy if my Sky boxes are recording 2 channels at once.

Can i log into NowTV using my Sky Go username and password?

If not, they really need a Sky Go app!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    Not that i need it, but would be handy if my Sky boxes are recording 2 channels at once.

Can i log into NowTV using my Sky Go username and password?

If not, they really need a Sky Go app!

You'll need the Sky Go app, which is on its way. Even then, you'll have to have Sky Multiscreen or Sky Go Extra to watch your channels for "free"
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I've used the PS3 app quite a lot and not had any problems for a couple of months now. Was really buggy before that though. Used to get itself into a state where it would refuse to stream anything until the app was deleted, along with all user data, and then re-installed.

Will probably keep well away from the PS4 version until it's at least out of beta.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It says something about a 30 day Movies trial on the PS Store page.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtU54G2IQAEtPzZ.jpg

Haven't been into the app itself, so can't help any more than that I'm afraid.

Cheers, i'll check it out once I get in from work later.
  • claymore74claymore74 Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    Cheers, i'll check it out once I get in from work later.

Go to www.nowtv.com/ps4 and sign up there - this offers the free movies trial

If you're already a Sky customer, you need an email address which is not related to your Sky account.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you sign up at the above link for the free movies trial, they're now offering £10 Playstation credit. A code will be sent within 30 days of registering.

So £10 PSN credit, plus 1 month of movies, all for nothing - seems rude not to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claymore74 wrote: »
    If you sign up at the above link for the free movies trial, they're now offering £10 Playstation credit. A code will be sent within 30 days of registering.

So £10 PSN credit, plus 1 month of movies, all for nothing - seems rude not to.

Done and done, as you say, it's rude not to. Plus they have a few films I've never seen which is a bonus. Just had a quick look at Monsters University and everything seems fine, plays right away, no buffering issues. Just got to remember to cancel my sub before the month trail ends.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when do you intend cancelling and does it look easy to cancel ?
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    So when do you intend cancelling and does it look easy to cancel ?

Now TV is very easy to cancel via the website. Being able to sign up and cancel whenever you want is one of the big selling points.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Now TV is very easy to cancel via the website. Being able to sign up and cancel whenever you want is one of the big selling points.

When I cancel do I still get access until the end of the trial period like Netflix etc...?
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Just signed up, we can all remind each other to cancel.

When do we get the psn credit ? I'm gonna have to create a uk account to use the 10 credit :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Offer page says we'll get emailed about the psn credit within 30 days.

Cancelling seems straightforward -log in to web site, click my account, and there is a cancel option beside the movies pass.

From the forums it looks like you can cancel in the last month of any pass that you have, and the service will last till the end of that sub period. I'm planning to cancel mine on 1st august ( just in case it cancels at the end of July if I do it before then).

Watched a Tinkerbell film with my daughter (honest) this afternoon. No buffering issues or anything, seems pretty good. Film selection's not great, but I listed about 20 films I fancy watching, so definitely worth it for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    um, just to bring the thread back on track here....!!

Im thrilled you have all been able to sign up for NowTV... but are any of you experiencing poor quality streaming and stuttering playback from the app?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stocklen wrote: »

Im thrilled you have all been able to sign up for NowTV... but are any of you experiencing poor quality streaming and stuttering playback from the app?

Now that we've established that there's an incentive to try the thing, perhaps some of us will be more inclined to give it a go and find out.

Sincere apologies we've not been able to rush to your aid. Very naughty of us. I intend to give myself a damn good spanking at the earliest opportunity.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Now that we've established that there's an incentive to try the thing, perhaps some of us will be more inclined to give it a go and find out.

Sincere apologies we've not been able to rush to your aid. Very naughty of us. I intend to give myself a damn good spanking at the earliest opportunity.

Video ... Or it didn't happen !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Video ... Or it didn't happen !

I live streamed..... Don't tell me you missed it!

Anyway, back on topic before we get told off again, I've tried Now TV on PS4. No buffering, stuttering or jerkiness. It's watchable, but the picture definitely isn't as good as Netflix's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No buffering or stuttering issues, watched the Purge last night (bag of crap) had no issues whatsoever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry mate, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

I didn't get any issues at all, no stuttering or buffering issues, and quality was fine.

I'm on fibre and my ps4 is wired to the router.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claymore74 wrote: »
    Sorry mate, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

I didn't get any issues at all, no stuttering or buffering issues, and quality was fine.

I'm on fibre and my ps4 is wired to the router.

Thanks for all the responses.

So, everyone seems to be OK there! I thought it might just be me as there was no way the service would be deemed watchable with how it is behaving on my PS4!

I suppose the wired connection doesn't matter - and shouldn't of course! Most of us surely are wireless anyway.

Well, I've tried deleting and reinstalling the app and still the same. Not sure what else I can try now. Any suggestions?

Its frustrating as amazon streams perfectly OK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are your issues when watching live channels, on-demand or both?

When watching, you can tap L2 to see your bandwidth and bitrate. What results do you get?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are your issues when watching live channels, on-demand or both?

When watching, you can tap L2 to see your bandwidth and bitrate. What results do you get?

Its both on-demand and live - tried them both.

I didn't know about the L2 press, so ill do that later when I'm back home and post the results. Thanks.