Deal Or No Deal - Fans Noticing The Decline

Comments

• ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I shock you?

I hate Noel Edmonds. He's very creepy and insincere and his beard is execrable.

He needs to be removed from any TV station I have access to - permanently.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffa1 wrote: »
    Can I shock you?

I hate Noel Edmonds. He's very creepy and insincere and his beard is execrable.

He needs to be removed from any TV station I have access to - permanently.

DOND has made Edmonds into an idiot. If he wasn't paid so much to host it, and is blacklisted by the BBC, he would have walked years ago. It is such a flimsy concept, people opening boxes, that if Edmonds had more work coming in, he would say it was rubbish. However, he persists with pretentious tat about a box number and cosmic ordering.
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That video message made me want to punch the screen! Millionaire was completely ruined when they did that! >:(
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That video message made me want to punch the screen! Millionaire was completely ruined when they did that! >:(

It was obvious she was never going to go right to the end (barring box 23) when they flash up these video links. The slow zooming in on the photo if the kids after Noel has asked the question us another thing I dislike and they go and deal even though dealing is far from the best decision in game play terms.

I was surprised she actually went another round afterwards. And she still missed out on more money at the end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I tweeted to Channel 4 to axe it. Time to bury it like they did with BB Want to RT of Fav my tweet so Channel 4 knows that not only me want`s it axed but so do a lot of people. Twitter is @PaulUKTWEETS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to watch it a lot and used to annoy people on forums like this when I explained that it could never ever be a game of skill as you can't know what is in the boxes. The only "skill" is getting out with a decent offer from the banker. It is now and always was a game of luck, but it is amazing how many people buy into Noels bull**** of "having a system" "take your time" "think about your next move". You would do just as well to pick box 1 and then just open the rest in order!

Anyway the show has declined greatly too many gimmicks for my liking, it all feels very stale. I can see it making its 10th birthday next year then slowly vanishing. I personally think it needs a long break, end it then bring it back to basics after a few months off air. If ratings don't pick up then, then maybe it is time to give Noel and the banker their P45's.

There's as much chance of winning the quarter million or the 1p picking 1 to 22 in numeric order, 22 to 1 in reverse or going left to right along the east wing and then right to left along the west wing as there is mixing all numbers up in the wings.

Unless you intend to keep a specific number to the end to swap with the one you selected at random before the game began because it's your lucky number (which in reality doesn't works out very often on that show) indeed you may as well select in numeric order or going along the wings rather than shake it all about.

3 times per week including Friday and Saturday evenings all at 8pm, 45 minutes shows and not on all year round, and remove box 23 would help to bring the show back to higher popularity again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tweeted to Channel 4 to axe it. Time to bury it like they did with BB Want to RT of Fav my tweet so Channel 4 knows that not only me want`s it axed but so do a lot of people. Twitter is @PaulUKTWEETS

They would surely have to let the final 22 players been selected to play their game and gradually replace each player with past contestants in the remaining 21 shows.

But in reality the show only need to return to basics, on less often, at a better time with a reduced duration on air. And none of these stupid themed weeks where they all wear these ridiculous costumes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Its too late almost certainly but they desperately need to go back to 45 mins. An hour is just annoying and Im sure its accelerated its demise.

I remember when it first started that they put on their best clothing for Christmas, hogmanay, valentines day and Easter e.g. A suit and tie or black suit and bow tie was common back then on the special shows.

Nowadays in the now themed weeks they look like clowns in those ridiculous costumes. And they are dressed in such for 6 shows which is really a big pain to watch over and above the pain of watching the usual prancing around and messing about.

These peak previews after the 2nd advert from the Tuesday until the Sunday just before the themed weeks. They seriousy belive everybody is looking forward to it in great anticipation. I don't and I don't think many do.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,247
    Forum Member
    Maybe they could add quiz questions to the show? After every round the banker asks a question down the phone, if the contestant gets it correct the original offer is doubled, wrong and it's halved.

Anyway, if they do end it within the next few years, I hope they reveal who the banker is on the last show. That might bring a few old viewers back to see who he/she/ is.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Channel 4 keeps a heap of dated shows going like DOND, Hollyoaks and Come Dine With Me. There is no innovation like there used to be, it's like a slightly posher ITV with a heavygoing news bulletin. No one would really miss a bunch of idiots opening boxes and a well past it presenter whose glory days were decades ago.
    Actually I would love to see someone smack Edmonds in the face after being bullied to go for quarter of a million and losing everything and declaring the show to be a rigged farce.
  • stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know why they have never done any more live shows? They were at least a bit more interesting, and I thought they went down well. Were they that much of a nightmare to produce?

I would axe the embarrassing daytime run, rest it for a while, then come back with it live on Friday nights for a few weeks a year. It may be too late for such a stunt, just an idea.

With less imbecilic wooping and applauding of everything, less cult, and it goes without saying, less Box 23, it might work.

C4 may as well give up as far as the entirety of daytime is concerned. They would probably get similar (if not higher) figures just showing imports and the same awful series of The Simpsons all afternoon... which is a shame, but there you are. If you want a game show, BBC and ITV have them in their droves; there is little need to go to C4 anymore.
  • pumpkinlattes33pumpkinlattes33 Posts: 8,326
    Forum Member
    I've never been a fan of Deal or No Deal - I don't like how all the contestants "brown nose" each other (for lack of more polite term)!
  • BeachhhhhhhBeachhhhhhh Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Look, it's dead simple.
    Here's a reality check.
    The show is a nice easy earner for Noel and contributes to his large pension pot.
    Do you really think he cares what you lot think?
    He is doing very well out of the show thank you; and to him that probably all that matters.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    There's as much chance of winning the quarter million or the 1p picking 1 to 22 in numeric order, 22 to 1 in reverse or going left to right along the east wing and then right to left along the west wing as there is mixing all numbers up in the wings.

Unless you intend to keep a specific number to the end to swap with the one you selected at random before the game began because it's your lucky number (which in reality doesn't works out very often on that show) indeed you may as well select in numeric order or going along the wings rather than shake it all about.

3 times per week including Friday and Saturday evenings all at 8pm, 45 minutes shows and not on all year round, and remove box 23 would help to bring the show back to higher popularity again.
    I had to wince during Sunday's DOND when Noel told the player to "concentrate" on her next box choice. Like that makes any difference! :(
    piggypug wrote: »
    I've never been a fan of Deal or No Deal - I don't like how all the contestants "brown nose" each other (for lack of more polite term)!
    You shouldn't be posting here by your own admission. Thread title is "fans". ;-)

Of course your comment is agreed by many fans of the show themselves. It gets embarrassing when people that have only just met each other, gush and think they know each other. They don't really.
    Look, it's dead simple.
    Here's a reality check.
    The show is a nice easy earner for Noel and contributes to his large pension pot.
    Do you really think he cares what you lot think?
    He is doing very well out of the show thank you; and to him that probably all that matters.
    Let's face it, Noel is the winner on EVERY edition of DOND. I read his yearly contract was about £3 million, and with about 300 shows per year that is £10,000 per show. More than the average winning "deal" nowadays I should think.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The contestants these days only go on to win money to pay off debts or buy stuff they want but don't want to save up for. For them it's this or Wonga.com.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After dealing "Lets play on in honesty as if were in live play" of course they dont, they try to pick the "Big" amounts to "Prove" they did the right thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    After dealing "Lets play on in honesty as if were in live play" of course they dont, they try to pick the "Big" amounts to "Prove" they did the right thing.

One is assuming they would have picked the numbers in the same order if they were still in live play.

But the one they said at the very start of the game they would leave right to the end proves to be the first that's played after the deal is not exactly playing in total honesty.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deal Or No Deal has this week been "demoted" back an hour to a new mid afternoon 3pm start time, which cannot possibly have any effect other than to shed viewers. A great pity that they should do this.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Deal Or No Deal has this week been "demoted" back an hour to a new mid afternoon 3pm start time, which cannot possibly have any effect other than to shed viewers. A great pity that they should do this.

It's on it's way out, sadly. I wouldn't be surprised to see DOND used as part of the early morning schedule (first run, not repeats) in the near future.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would swap this show with Countdown, At least that makes you think.
  • ATNottsATNotts Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DDRickyDD wrote: »
    Maybe they could add quiz questions to the show? After every round the banker asks a question down the phone, if the contestant gets it correct the original offer is doubled, wrong and it's halved.

Given the dimbos that by and large populate "the wings" that would be a great way to reduce the cost of the show - in terms of how much the contestants take home!

And as those idiots who have "feelings" about what's in a box - well, what can you say!
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The push back won't last, it's only while C4 test the water with their botched attempt at Shipping Wars, I can't see it going far, they didn't even manage to deliver anything by the end of the first show. Small country, no Roy, no end result each show... pointless, but that's a different channel.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should reduce the show to half an hour. I've seen the Australian version of the show and it can be done in half an hour how? By having no sob stories, no dramatic music to pad out a few minutes and no dramatic stuff.

In the Australian version also, they ask the person to guess what they have in their box and if they guess correctly the person holding the box (or briefcase as I recall now) they get $500 for guessing correctly.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    They should reduce the show to half an hour. I've seen the Australian version of the show and it can be done in half an hour how? By having no sob stories, no dramatic music to pad out a few minutes and no dramatic stuff.

In the Australian version also, they ask the person to guess what they have in their box and if they guess correctly the person holding the box (or briefcase as I recall now) they get $500 for guessing correctly.

I disagree, I like to get to know the players, it gives you more idea whether you want them to succeed or not. I don't want a blink and you miss it, an hour's fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you like a new twist to the game it's a great invention.

If you don't like a new twist to the game it's a big gimmick.