The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• shinnyrshinnyr Posts: 2,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But isn't this all pre-recorded (at least weeks) in advance so obviously nothing to do with the airing of last nights show!
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    The next debate will be

Was she ill? or Did guilt make her quit?

I await for the conspiracy theories
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this needs spoilers or not because it is everywhere...

anyway, so Diana sabotages (:D) Ian and then leaves the week later... can Ian come back then please?
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    greengran wrote: »
    I hope they don't reinstate Ian, he made the decision to bin his bake when he could have still shown them what he'd done so far.
    If Diana has been hounded out by all this nastiness towards her, that is a shame. I used to really enjoy this show, if it's going to be silly and sensational then I for one won't watch anymore. I enjoyed watching a baking show, not a silly personality competition. Shame on you BBC!

Oh it has always had elements like yesterday on the show, "custardgate" last year for example. The difference is that now it is on BBC1 with a bigger audience it gets more publicity.

No need to ditch the show because it has not changed at all from previous years.

Clear over reaction from some posters on here i think.
    Forum Member
    lealeeds wrote: »
    Didn't anyone else think Iain's marching out of the tent and marching back again and presenting the bin as somewhat stage managed?
    I think his walking out was genuine but I think production would have persuaded him to go back in and say he had nothing to present
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    Something that has been bothering me too is Iain telephoning Diana 3 days before the show to warn her the 'knives are out'. That is extremely odd. How would he know? What knives? Who is wielding them? The mystery deepens :o

The tabloids had probably heard about it and been pestering him - usual lots of phone calls and doorstepping his house.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    The tabloids had probably heard about it and been pestering him - usual lots of phone calls and doorstepping his house.

Good point. I didn't think of that. Though surely they would have contacted Diana too? :confused:
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She will get the sympathy vote now.

And why not?

All the episodes were recorded in April and May.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they don't reinstate Ian, he made the decision to bin his bake when he could have still shown them what he'd done so far.
    If Diana has been hounded out by all this nastiness towards her, that is a shame. I used to really enjoy this show, if it's going to be silly and sensational then I for one won't watch anymore. I enjoyed watching a baking show, not a silly personality competition. Shame on you BBC!

People are claiming that the BBC deliberately edited to make her a hate figure but they would have known about her illness when the programme was edited (or they could have re-edited if it is done within days of the recording) so that would seem a foolish thing for them to do.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do not click. Step away from your computer. Take a deep breath and say "I want to enjoy tonight's show and I want it to be a surprise."

Better?

I didn't click. Better? No. GBBO has caused a lot of uproar. They should have edited it better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    Good point. I didn't think of that. Though surely they would have contacted Diana too? :confused:

Perhaps more difficult for them to get hold of, especially if she is still unwell and in a hospital or at least convalescing somewhere.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She will get the sympathy vote now.

I would have felt more for her if she had told the Judges that she took part of the blame as she removed the ice cream from the freezer. Ian should not have walked but she played her part by her actions which I am sure were not vindictive.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never trust a member of the W.I.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps more difficult for them to get hold of, especially if she is still unwell and in a hospital or at least convalescing somewhere.

She was on local radio today.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    Okay this has gone from a bit of a controversy to a full blown crisis now. There are so many unanswered questions that the BBC needs to start addressing IMMEDIATELY. The entire bake off franchise is now at risk with the inept way this is being managed.

Public confidence needs to be restored ASAP and that can only come with answers.

I think a press conference is in order, preferably in time for the 10 o'clock news.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Possibly.

I just have the same feeling I have at work when there is a piece of the puzzle missing and I need to root it out :D It bothers me till I find out what it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guys calm down. It isn't a conspiracy because the winner has already been crowned and filmed since the competition ended months ago!
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plant wrote: »
    Seems clear to me - she pissed the producers off
    by leaving and mucking up their schedule
    so they decide to edit her badly to teach her a lesson. Bunch of Hitlers.

Unlikely. A typical production insurance contract doesn't allow a poorly person to continue during a production.

When the person falls ill or is injured, s/he has to step out until a doctor or medical professional gives an all-clear.

All productions - sitcom, serial drama, factual, light entertainment, etc. - are always prepared for the worst, anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I would have felt more for her if she had told the Judges that she took part of the blame as she removed the ice cream from the freezer. Ian should not have walked but she played her part by her actions which I am sure were not vindictive.

How do you know she didn't?
    Forum Member
    Never trust a member of the W.I.
    must admit that they have a will and a way of their own and the WI that are near me are very elitist and judgemental

In the local show if people find out that the judge is a WI member they wont enter as its always one of the WI who wins even if the entry is crap
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »

Have we ever seen a candidate talking to the judges during the judging process of another candidate's food item in any previous series? Not to my recollection. I don't see why Diana should break that unspoken rule.

In any case, it was all down to Iain. If he wanted to drag her in, he would have, but he didn't so there was no need for Diana to say anything. It was between Iain and the judges.
  • Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Have we ever seen a candidate talking to the judges during the judging process of another candidate's food item in any previous series? Not to my recollection. I don't see why Diana should break that unspoken rule.
    There were plenty of times where Mel and Sue would explain to the judges why some bakes turned out badly. They decided to keep quiet this time. Strangely that Sue would now claim the ice-cream was only left out for 40 seconds, a claim that Iain now dispute (and I would go as far as saying Sue most probably lied.)
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I hope someone still goes next week.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    must admit that they have a will and a way of their own and the WI that are near me are very elitist and judgemental

In the local show if people find out that the judge is a WI member they wont enter as its always one of the WI who wins even if the entry is crap

They are pretty nasty people who want to win at any cost. Those W.I. judges on Masterchef are vile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they don't reinstate Ian [...] If Diana has been hounded out by all this nastiness towards her, that is a shame.

I don't see how that can happen when we consider the fact that

a) the filming of this series took place between April and June.
    b) Diana left the production between April and June.