Options

Was Olympic opening worth 27m

Comments

• Options
    kazzabeeekazzabeee Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Proud to be British - what a stunning spectacle. I enjoyed every minute of it. Worth every penny.
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Compared to many of the films that cost far more than £27 million to make - it will have had a bigger audience and better appreciation.

If its purpose was to advertise the UK then compare it to the $4 billion annual advertising budget of Coca Cola.
  • Options
    LifeOfBryanLifeOfBryan Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it!

I can see why some with the attention span of a gnat and who do not care about our history didn't understand or like it, but I'm glad that didn't dumb it down to a chav video game just for them.

So many big moments like the flying Rings, The Queen meeting Mr Bond and Mr Bean to name a few. And the transformations of the whole arena on an epic scale was a logistical nightmare that they pulled off.

Then the decision to hand the honour of the flame over to the young had me in tears - And what a cauldron!

At least those youths at the end were an inspiration unlike the ones on here and their trolling.

Well done to all and thanks for a great show!
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    As has rightly been pointed out, it ended up costing around £1 per TV viewer, which is nothing at all. £27m is not a big amount of money in the grand scheme of things. Many Premier League footballers cost more than that and it's barely 1% of how much has been cut across the country.

Admittedly, the games themselves, I'd imagine, are a lot more expensive, but a) we'll make a lot of money back from it, and b) the Opening Ceremony is what everyone will remember the most, and you can't buy the sense of national pride and utter joy that was so widespread last night. No issue here as far as I'm concerned.

And actually, they did a hell of a lot with £27m. Paul McCartney, Kenneth Branagh, JK Rowling, Arctic Monkeys, Rowan Atkinson, Daniel Craig, David Beckham and The Queen probably cost at least half of that between them. Everything else was probably done with £12-15m or so, which is an astounding achievement.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    As has rightly been pointed out, it ended up costing around £1 per TV viewer, which is nothing at all. £27m is not a big amount of money in the grand scheme of things. Many Premier League footballers cost more than that and it's barely 1% of how much has been cut across the country.

Admittedly, the games themselves, I'd imagine, are a lot more expensive, but a) we'll make a lot of money back from it, and b) the Opening Ceremony is what everyone will remember the most, and you can't buy the sense of national pride and utter joy that was so widespread last night. No issue here as far as I'm concerned.

And actually, they did a hell of a lot with £27m. Paul McCartney, Kenneth Branagh, JK Rowling, Arctic Monkeys, Rowan Atkinson, Daniel Craig, David Beckham and The Queen probably cost at least half of that between them. Everything else was probably done with £12-15m or so, which is an astounding achievement.

McCartney maybe, but I can't believe Branagh invoiced them for the privilege of reciting Shakespeare to a billion people :)
  • Options
    vrooomvrooom Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved every minute of it and it was worth every single penny. I was so enthused by the spectacle that I made a video talking about how great it was and how, as a nation, we should strive to be proud of our achievements, instead of existing under a cloud of whinging pessimism.

Look...here...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    McCartney maybe, but I can't believe Branagh invoiced them for the privilege of reciting Shakespeare to a billion people :)

Yes, you may have a point about Branagh (and possibly JKR, actually) but Rowan Atkinson in particular won't have come cheap, I think. He's not a penny-pincher, just very, very camera-shy. I was very pleasantly surprised he did it. :)
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have thought that any of them expected payment.:confused:
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was OK, don't think it was better than Beijing though.

I did.
    Although Beijing was big, I felt it was very samey and I got bored quickly.
    If found the British opening ceremony much more engaging and impressive in different ways.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I passed out due to excessive alcohol consumption (I'm normally practically tee-total but going through a crisis at the moment) & missed most of it, I dare say I will be able to catch up with it on You Tube.
  • Options
    LifeOfBryanLifeOfBryan Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I passed out due to excessive alcohol consumption (I'm normally practically tee-total but going through a crisis at the moment) & missed most of it, I dare say I will be able to catch up with it on You Tube.

I was peeeeed by the end, but managed to stay awake.

My head is unusually clear this morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't have thought that any of them expected payment.:confused:

I'd really, really hope that was the case but my head tells me it can't have been. Can you imagine the pressure the stars were under? I can't believe that they would have put themselves under the scrutiny of 1 billion people and pretty much the entire UK for free. Especially not Rowan Atkinson, who doesn't even like to do interviews because of his reclusive nature.
  • Options
    DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we never spent an money on important events like this, what history would we have going forward as a country? Man I can't stand people that moan about stuff like this. 27m is peanuts.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the texting thing was a bit stupid and they got the industrial revolution mixed up with the suffragettes, but on the whole a good show and Emily Sande singing Abide With Me was excellent. Also fair play to Rowan Atkinson for an unexpected cameo. I'll give it 8.5 out of 10.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let down by that stupid texting scene and the suffragettes being part of the industrial revolution( they were 100 years later), but on the whole good. I found Emili Sande's rendition of Abide With Me moving and Mike Oldfield was on form.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd really, really hope that was the case but my head tells me it can't have been. Can you imagine the pressure the stars were under? I can't believe that they would have put themselves under the scrutiny of 1 billion people and pretty much the entire UK for free. Especially not Rowan Atkinson, who doesn't even like to do interviews because of his reclusive nature.

Found this.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/263378/Sir-Paul-McCartney-to-perform-for-just-1/

MUSIC superstars including Sir Paul McCartney and One Direction are being paid £1 to sing at the Olympic opening and closing ceremonies.

All of the headlining acts will pocket the minute nominal fee to appear, regardless of fame or status.

Performers such as Jessie J, George Michael, and Take That will initially be out of pocket as they still have to pay full rates for their band, backing singers, make-up artists and crew.

I make no claims for the truth or otherwise of this story though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Queen? You're not seriously suggesting that the Queen was paid to take part?
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I think the texting thing was a bit stupid and they got the industrial revolution mixed up with the suffragettes, but on the whole a good show and Emily Sande singing Abide With Me was excellent. Also fair play to Rowan Atkinson for an unexpected cameo. I'll give it 8.5 out of 10.

:confused:
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it actually, I thought Danny Boyle and co did a great job. Better than Beijing??? Well that's a bit of a apples and oranges comparison for me. Beijing had more overpowering spectacle, it was wonderful but perhaps a bit too muscle flexing and militaristic for me (it was designed to show the World that China are essentially going to be the new superpower of the 21st century).

Ours wasn't as impressive visually but it was still very impressive, and it had more heart and informality. Beijing's ceremony said 'be in awe of us, we've arrived' London's was 'hey we're a bit nutty, but we can laugh at ourselves'. Beijing wins on grandeur and lavishness, London wins on inclusiveness and heart in my opinion.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes definitely. Blew every other opening ceremony out the water.

Totally agree, the only other opening ceremony which came close to capturing the spirit of the games and the uniqueness of the country hosting was Sydney's in 2000 imho. I also loved the Athens opening in 2004. Thought Bejing's last time round was just all flash and not much substance.

ETA: And the Chinese added CGI fireworks to their display and had an image of a girl singing and she wasn't even doing the singing.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well worth it.

Except for the dire Mccartney and the mis-step in how they tried to involve Ali I thought it pretty much represented this loony country flawlessly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what those towers were made from?

They sure looked the part.:)
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was worth it.

I don't agree with all these "it could have been spent better elsewhere" comments I see, the same could be said about every bit of expenditure around the games, but I'm sure there will be millions of pounds of extra advertising and sponsorship coming in, plus the fact the opening ceremony itself was basically an advert to the world, I think it will more than have paid for itself, so in turn boost money to more "worthwhile" causes/areas.

There were parts I didn't like, but then there were parts I really liked, at such a long show it was never going to please everybody, all the time. I'd have rather the BBC donated Trevor Nelson's fee into the kitty so they could have paid for the rights to some more 90's/00's music, obviously Britpop, Take That and the Spice Girls didn't happen, music ended with Firestarter until Grime.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I think it was worth every penny!
  • Options
    m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise the public pays for Premier League footballers? Last time I looked football clubs were not financed out of the public purse.