Did the noticeable difference in the two winner's songs have an effect

rattierattie Posts: 7,050
Forum Member
I noticed that James's winners song was a far more 'current' one than Jahmene's.

Do you think that impacted on the final result as the multiple voters tend to be young and older people often only vote once. Were people voting depending on the song they would want to buy? Was this a way of the powers that be trying to ensure they got the winner they felt they could market most successfully?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    rattie wrote: »
    I noticed that James's winners song was a far more 'current' one than Jahmene's.

Do you think that impacted on the final result as the multiple voters tend to be young and older people often only vote once. Were people voting depending on the song they would want to buy? Was this a way of the powers that be trying to ensure they got the winner they felt they could market most successfully?

I'd say yes. Personally I don't like James at all and don't think either of the winner singles is good but imo Impossible is still miles better than Let It Be. The boring arrangement in LIB didn't help either whereas Impossible featured heavy beats to make the song more catchy. (also noticed there was no key change in either of the songs, I guess that's a nice change)
  • mrtdg82mrtdg82 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't just the winners song, but songs throughout the final were much more in james' favour.

The greatest live of all v adele.... Hardly a comparison
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let It Be was boring. I think they threw Jahmene under a bus with this song, as they did with Rebecca singing Duffy's Distant Dreamer.

I'd have preferred to hear Jahmene's version of Impossible instead.
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    When did the winner's song stop being the same song sung by both the final two? This is the first time isn't it? Or is my memory failing?
  • elfstar89elfstar89 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James had been in the lead since week 8 so fair to say that once his voters got a kick in the butt from him being in the bottom 2 he had the competition sewn up.
  • AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say it had some effect, yes.
  • RevenReven Posts: 2,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say a bit but who knows how much.
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    I wanted James to win, and voted for him, but as soon as I heard his winner's song, which I was unfamiliar with, I thought "he could lose this". What a dreary song choice, hardly one which can showcase his style or abilities; it was more like a straitjacket, and as such felt like a deliberate thing, to scupper his chances. Thankfully he shifted it up a gear at the end, James Arthuring it, or it would have made for his worst single performance to date (due entirely to song choice).

By contrast it felt as though Jahmene had been given the pimp song. Unfortunately for him he blew the opportunity to steal the title with too much untidy screaming. Angels was extremely good, and had he carried on in that form I believe he may have won.
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    rattie wrote: »
    When did the winner's song stop being the same song sung by both the final two? This is the first time isn't it? Or is my memory failing?

They did it in Series 7

Matt - When We Collide
    Rebecca - Distant Dreamer
  • NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the songs were simply chosen to suit the particular singer. I've heard James sing Impossible before & thought then that it was good. I can't imagine Jahmene singing it & that's not a diss to Jahmene, just that he has a vastly different singing style & Let It Be suited him & his personal ethos better
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did it in Series 7

Matt - When We Collide
    Rebecca - Distant Dreamer

and season one.
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jahmene's one was well known and seemed like a classic x factor single song.
    James was ok but not as many knew the song before he sang it.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought Let it Be would have been more popular as its known and the time of year, but personally I didn't like his version, its one of those songs that shouldnt be changed. James was more current though not my cup of tea really.

At the end of the day they were both excellent and seemingly decent guys and I think both will have good careers
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it would have made any difference at all to Jahmene and James supporters, who would continue to vote for their favourite.

I imagine it would have made a difference for the floating voter, or the ones who only tune in for the final.

Yes, LIB sounded terrible, but let's not forget it is an all-time classic song, known by just about everyone, and it was the dreary arrangement and Jahmene's silly over-singing that were at fault, not the song choice.
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I doubt it otherwise Jahmene would have won as his song was far superior.
  • rated_2000rated_2000 Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they both could have had impossible for the winners song , it was a stitch up
  • achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look at the voting figures, you can see the win was decided before they performed their singles.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    I'm a big Beatles fan but even I was bored off my tits at the idea of Jahmene releasing LIB as a winner's song. :yawn:

I'd have probably voted James to win so I wouldn't have to hear it.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really the only noticeable difference was that one was performed as a borefest and the other one wasn't .
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrtdg82 wrote: »
    Wasn't just the winners song, but songs throughout the final were much more in james' favour.

i think they were trying to "delight the demo" in both cases...:D
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrtdg82 wrote: »

I love 'The Greatest Love of All' - I find it very inspiring and uplifting. But I can't stand Adele's stuff - I find it so dull and dreary.
  • Queen MaeveQueen Maeve Posts: 22,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIB had a dull dull production and Jahmene was off key and warbling. However, I think the momentum was with James from the get go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    Let It Be was boring. I think they threw Jahmene under a bus with this song, as they did with Rebecca singing Duffy's Distant Dreamer.

I'd have preferred to hear Jahmene's version of Impossible instead.

All down to personal preference, but I actually preferred Distant Dreamer to Many of Horror/ When We Collide.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIB had a dull dull production and Jahmene was off key and warbling. However, I think the momentum was with James from the get go.

i agree. james seems to have clinched the title on saturday. for me, both "feeling good" and "make you feel my love" are paradoxically poignant and heart-tugging... all the hardships he's stored inside him only help to inform his performances...:cool::cool:

if ever, i thought "impossible" may put him in trouble and that's when i reached for my phone to vote a few times.:eek::o:o:D
  • mrtdg82mrtdg82 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andybear wrote: »
    I love 'The Greatest Love of All' - I find it very inspiring and uplifting. But I can't stand Adele's stuff - I find it so dull and dreary.

So do I... But when you consider baloney got slated for singing old songs and nothing current, the same could be said for jahmene. Unless I'm mistaken the most current song he sang was Angels which itself is over 10 years old.

Jahmene wasn't given anything to even attempt to bring him a new audience. I'm 30 but I'm pretty sure every one of his songs bar Angels was released before I was even born!