BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    So what are the big news stories today?

Rotherham still

Carswell to UKIP

ISIS murdering even more people

Yet the phone in is about marriage just because of two z list slebs.
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There really isn't a lot more to say about the station anymore, I listen less and less,there are irrelevant phone ins virtually every morning. VD's magazine programme about miserable and trivial matters with her fawning and trying to sound sympathetic to anyone with a 'story' to tell and then Streaky's ego fest in the afternoons. Night time listening with Phil Williams and Stephen Hoi Noi Nolan speaking over everyone, butting in and being rude to anyone he doesn't agree with or veers from the PC line.......not exactly edifying listening. I can't comment on the sport output because I don't listen, I am a speech based news/current events radio fan - or I was.

I am desperately waiting for the new schedules to kick in and hope things improve but until then I really can't be bothered to listen.

As for the egomaniac ( you can't comments about such and such a person because they are not here to defend themselves baloney ) Nolan ,who should have been replaced and who seems to think he is running the country,I really don't know why he doesn't go the whole way and just stand for public office ? That awful Friday night press review with Jerry Hayes and Mohammed Shafiq shouting over one another is the most dysfunctional,disorderly and undignified radio I have ever heard.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    It seems to be the BBC thing these days that you have to have people shouting loudly for "good radio"

Personally it just makes me go for the off switch.
  • radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Can't agree with the Anti-Livesey lobby. I don't see why he should be hung for his past jobs. Yes, he worked for a paper that I would be embarrassed to be seen buying, but I'm not perfect either.

I believe TL should be seen for what he brings to the table, and I have heard hours of his programmes and he is yet to refer to Daily Sport or whatever it is or to advance their dubious editorial policies.

But he is turning into a national broadcaster of some considerable and charming note.

I'd sooner judge him by his performances over the last few years on Five Live. I find him a good interviewer, funny, bright and he brings a sense of the listeners' lives into the studio.

I would much sooner have him on breakfast than The Ego who seems to broadcast from a loftier position than his listeners.

Tony Livesey does need to curb his quips occasionally, they can get in the way from time to time, but he is by some distance one of the best broadcasters Five Live have and he should be doing breakfast with any one from Burden/Oldroyd/O'Donnell all of whom I also enjoy. He makes the morning sound like a place I want to be in, rather than The Ego who obviously expects me to worship him and his greatness.

Livesey might be a bit rough round the edges, but I quite like that, and he has the personality and common sense that make him the kind of character I am happy to spend my mornings with. He sounds as fallible as I am, which endears him to me.
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's even worse tonight on Phil Williams. The 1130 interview is the "chairperson" of Stonewall, (twice in a week), followed by "The Drone" playing a tennis match, which we are promised will be broadcast in its' entirety.

Did you listen to the interview with Stonewall? I thought it was a pretty interesting listen.
    And you think 5live, who have the rights to the US Open tennis, shouldn't broadcast commentary of Andy Murray live at Midnight? I don't think many would agree with you. If you're bored - go and listen to something else.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmlabbd wrote: »
    Did you listen to the interview with Stonewall? I thought it was a pretty interesting listen.
    And you think 5live, who have the rights to the US Open tennis, shouldn't broadcast commentary of Andy Murray live at Midnight? I don't think many would agree with you. If you're bored - go and listen to something else.

sorry that's been said so many times....the thread is the place to discuss 5live content and praise or criticise it.....that's why it's talked about here...

just saying go listen to something else is not a solution or productive.......and there's very little speech radio alternative in UK - unless you like sport (TS) dreary arts programmes (R4) then it's LBC or BBC London as only other avenue TBH...

oh Cyril as usual you are spot on about Nolan....oh he's not here to defend himself.... >:(
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiotuner wrote: »
    Livesey might be a bit rough round the edges, but I quite like that, and he has the personality and common sense that make him the kind of character I am happy to spend my mornings with. He sounds as fallible as I am, which endears him to me.

I wasn't too keen on him to start with but he has grown on me. He has proven to be a flexible broadcaster who could fit in anywhere in the schedule - though I can see him as the long term replacement for Campbell at breakfast. I do enjoy his wit but I agree that he does get a little carried away at time.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    So what are the big news stories today?

Rotherham still

Carswell to UKIP

ISIS murdering even more people

Yet the phone in is about marriage just because of two z list slebs.

The phone in was about Rotherham 2 days running before today. There's only so many phone in's you can have on the ine topuc.
  • mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    sorry that's been said so many times....the thread is the place to discuss 5live content and praise or criticise it.....that's why it's talked about here...

just saying go listen to something else is not a solution or productive.......and there's very little speech radio alternative in UK - unless you like sport (TS) dreary arts programmes (R4) then it's LBC or BBC London as only other avenue TBH...

oh Cyril as usual you are spot on about Nolan....oh he's not here to defend himself.... >:(

As per usual loz you miss most of my post and focus on the one bit that serves your argument. I merely pointed out that the poster said they were bored with what they were hearing...but me, and many others maybe didn't find it boring. It isn't and can't ever be BBC Radio Superbike999
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since I've been listening to LBC a bit more recently I realised one thing that bugged me about Your Call was having several callers on the line at once, especially when Nicky introduces several callers in a row, only to introduce someone else and leave the others hanging on.
  • Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    shaddler wrote: »
    Since I've been listening to LBC a bit more recently I realised one thing that bugged me about Your Call was having several callers on the line at once, especially when Nicky introduces several callers in a row, only to introduce someone else and leave the others hanging on.

I completely agree - that is so annoying.
  • Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Crow wrote: »
    As Simon Mayo only had two weeks off from Radio 2, rather than the 5 or so weeks from 5 live, I suspect it's more to do with the freelancer Mark Kermode not being available. Nothing to do with a 'generous BBC holiday'.

So why doesn't he come in and do the show with another presenter then..?

Seems again like the BBC forgetting who employs who
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't agree with the Anti-Livesey lobby. I don't see why he should be hung for his past jobs. Yes, he worked for a paper that I would be embarrassed to be seen buying, but I'm not perfect either.

I believe TL should be seen for what he brings to the table, and I have heard hours of his programmes and he is yet to refer to Daily Sport or whatever it is or to advance their dubious editorial policies.

But he is turning into a national broadcaster of some considerable and charming note.

I'd sooner judge him by his performances over the last few years on Five Live. I find him a good interviewer, funny, bright and he brings a sense of the listeners' lives into the studio.

I would much sooner have him on breakfast than The Ego who seems to broadcast from a loftier position than his listeners.

Tony Livesey does need to curb his quips occasionally, they can get in the way from time to time, but he is by some distance one of the best broadcasters Five Live have and he should be doing breakfast with any one from Burden/Oldroyd/O'Donnell all of whom I also enjoy. He makes the morning sound like a place I want to be in, rather than The Ego who obviously expects me to worship him and his greatness.

Nice one Tony. :D
  • radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    streetwise wrote: »
    Nice one Tony. :D

As if!

I just happen to enjoy the way he presents programmes!
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is dying on its feet, unfortunately, like the once excellent station.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact it seems no one seems to wish to debate how good or how crap Five has become. The bookies have given up on Clacton and Scotland - So has the the thread originator it seems.... Can't blame her/him.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is dying on its feet, unfortunately, like the once excellent station.
    You've gone from being obsessed with 5 Live dying on its feet to this thread doing the same!

All long running threads ebb and flow. The thread is just having a quite period...
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    As if!

I just happen to enjoy the way he presents programmes!

Me too ( and I am not Tony either). He does have his red-top moments, but nothing that a co-presenter cannot keep in check. The other co presenters on Breakfast are all much more comfortable with him than with Campbell.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it any surprise the thread is dying on it's feet? as soon as anyone breaks with the trend of negativity from the regulars and posts anything good about the station, they get ridiculed or their views get dismissed with 'funny' replies such as 'nice one tony'. even the regulars can't bang on forever about VD and the Ego. As others have said, it'll liven up again in October when the new schedules kick in. *puts on tin hat*
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only genuinely good show that remains on 5 Live and has stayed consistent since the very beginning is Up All Night early in the week when presented by Rhod Sharp. The ones with Adebayo are a different kettle of fish altogether in quality, or lack of, except when some of the reasonable stand ins have been present in recent times. The nearer we get to the next US presidential election in November 2016 which will see a successor to Obama elected, and all the primaries in the year beforehand will bring Rhod out in his element and you can always feel the enthusiasm he has for this aspect of reporting and it can be very enjoyable and informative.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    The only genuinely good show that remains on 5 Live and has stayed consistent since the very beginning is Up All Night early in the week when presented by Rhod Sharp. The ones with Adebayo are a different kettle of fish altogether in quality, or lack of, except when some of the reasonable stand ins have been present in recent times. The nearer we get to the next US presidential election in November 2016 which will see a successor to Obama elected, and all the primaries in the year beforehand will bring Rhod out in his element and you can always feel the enthusiasm he has for this aspect of reporting and it can be very enjoyable and informative.

Adebayo is just a token, but Sharp only 'shines' because of what he is compared to. He has been on autopilot for a long time. His laconic style is lauded, but I think he is just bored to tears at phoning in the same thing night after night.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't agree there. Drive is fine. 5Live Sport is a great show with the current presenters.

Sports Report is still it's wonderful self. Saturday's 606 is a good modern football phone in
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only genuinely good show that remains on 5 Live and has stayed consistent since the very beginning is Up All Night early in the week when presented by Rhod Sharp. The ones with Adebayo are a different kettle of fish altogether in quality, or lack of, except when some of the reasonable stand ins have been present in recent times.
    Dotun Adebayo. The man who comitted yet another major gaffe the other night by informing us that 'Morning Has Broken' was a song written by Cat Stevens. That prompted a flurry of texts and emails, one of which he actually read out (probably unintentionally) saying " Dotun Adebayo, you really are a complete muppet". :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    You've gone from being obsessed with 5 Live dying on its feet to this thread doing the same!

All long running threads ebb and flow. The thread is just having a quite period...

Yes, you are probably right. I still can't believe Lbc (which Rajar suggests has fewer listeners !!!) has a thread which receives considerably more traffic. And that too bearing in mind there is a separate Lbc politics thread...
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it any surprise the thread is dying on it's feet? as soon as anyone breaks with the trend of negativity from the regulars and posts anything good about the station, they get ridiculed or their views get dismissed with 'funny' replies such as 'nice one tony'. even the regulars can't bang on forever about VD and the Ego. As others have said, it'll liven up again in October when the new schedules kick in. *puts on tin hat*

I did say that before you posted this but it was deleted. Seems if you criticise the critics here they go crying to the mods. Bless.
This discussion has been closed.