Lewis - New Series

sonparcsonparc Posts: 33
Forum Member
What on earth do ITV think is good about transmitting one hour episodes of the new series ?? Well maybe to try to disguise the fact that they have only made three stories I suppose. However I will record it,watch it all together and zap through the ads - is that what they want?

Comments

• millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did not realize it was only on one hour. I know Hathaway is away for one episode and Lewis has a new side kick, I do like Lewis thou.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn’t this the last series? Nice one ITV, treating one of your better shows like dirt by chopping it in half. :rolleyes:

They are ****ing clueless......
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May not be the last series - Kevin wants the summer off as he says he's worked every summer for 30 years. But he has not ruled out returning in 2014 and says the story line has been left open.But I think chopping it up into hour-long episodes may mark the demise of Lewis. But don't forget ITV have Endeavour on the cards as well.
  • flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What? No Hathaway? He's probably the main reason I watch!! I am a bit miffed that they've decided to split the stories in half, and like you OP, will record the lot and watch all at once.

Stupid ITV.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    May not be the last series - Kevin wants the summer off as he says he's worked every summer for 30 years. But he has not ruled out returning in 2014 and says the story line has been left open.But I think chopping it up into hour-long episodes may mark the demise of Lewis. But don't forget ITV have Endeavour on the cards as well.

They could also have a break for a few years and then start a new series with Hathaway as the lead detective with a Lewis-like sidekick.

Don't forget the game we played during the last season ie finding alliterative nicknames for the various bits of stuff that turned up :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought Fox said he’d had enough, with KW on record as saying it was up to Fox how long he’d continue with it as well?

It’s very disrespectful to carve it in half after decades of two hour Morse and Lewis. Wonder if this means Endeavour will also air in one hour episodes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As for Hathaway not being in one episode there is previous for this as Lewis didn't appear in one episode of Morse, the one where Morse was in hospital and tried to solve a Victorian murder.

If KW wants to come back but LF doesn't then they could just do a Midsommer Murders and give Lewis a new sidekick
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Lewis and will be sad to see it go. I'll give the one hour episodes a try to see if they work. I suspect they won't if it's just a two hour production chopped in half and not designed to work as a one hour episode with an appropriate cliffhanger etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see Lewis with a female sidekick if Fox decides it's time for him to move on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    If KW wants to come back but LF doesn't then they could just do a Midsommer Murders and give Lewis a new sidekick

But Wately is on record as saying that when Fox stops he will too. I would imagine that chopping the eps in half doesn’t sit well with either of them so even less reason for either to want to do more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fox is going to spend the summer looking for opportunities in Hollywood apparently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    But Wately is on record as saying that when Fox stops he will too. I would imagine that chopping the eps in half doesn’t sit well with either of them so even less reason for either to want to do more.

That would make sense, after all how long has he been playing Lewis??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I'm sure Fox would be great out there as the latest English 'villain cum eccentric'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would make sense, after all how long has he been playing Lewis??

Since the first episode of Morse screened on ITV on January 6, 1987, ''The Dead of Jericho'' written by Anthony Minghella.
    Lawrence Fox told the Daily Telegraph in May 2012 that this series would be the last as they both wanted to move on.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that the voiceover previewing the new series over the credits of Mr Selfridge last night referred to it as the final series, not that I think the itv presentation department has any say in it....
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duplicate post
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sonparc wrote: »
    ... However I will record it,watch it all together and zap through the ads - is that what they want?

To be honest it will make no difference to me if it's in two parts for that very reason. I never watch anything "live" on ITV
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    If you remember, they stopped doing 'series' of Morse's some time before Morse came to an end. (A series usually being 3 x 2hour films)

They then kept coming back and doing one offs as Colin Dexter produced new Morse books. Finishing of course with The Remorseful Day. Of course that doesnt apply to Lewis as each story is original to tv.

To be honest, a lot will be down the actors. If Lawrence Fox does well in the USA, then you wont see him again. I suspect he sees Lewis as a stepping stone to greater things.

If on the other hand Fox doesn't pull it off in the USA, and not all actors do - then I would have thought a few years down the line it is not impossble he would come back to Lewis.

I would have thought Kevin Whatley has less options. No disrespect to the guy, but he is soon going to be too old for leading man material. So being in a series where your character, Lewis is actually in the title is no bad thing. I don't see Kevin Whatley being in anything as big again. It will be guest staring parts like he was in George Gently last year.

So I would not be surprised to see him carry on in Lewis without Fox. He might take a few years off and then see that being in the odd Lewis is no bad thing when you are an actor the wrong side of 60 years old. ( and I mean that with no disrespect to the guy)
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    They'll ruin it - just like they did when they made Taggart one hour episodes...
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,028
    Forum Member
    Lawrence Fox told the Daily Telegraph in May 2012 that this series would be the last as they both wanted to move on.

Fox and his wife Billy Piper are moving to US as want to make it big in Hollywood !

I guess if they can get films or a lead in a major TV show it will be much more cash than ITV pay.

Hopefully wont have the same fate as Adrian Lester the lead in Hustle who left for a year, again to make it big in Hollywood but then came back when it didn't work out.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    sonparc wrote: »
    What on earth do ITV think is good about transmitting one hour episodes of the new series ?? Well maybe to try to disguise the fact that they have only made three stories I suppose. However I will record it,watch it all together and zap through the ads - is that what they want?

That's exactly what I'm going to do - will save til next week and watch both in one go as it was intended to be
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I'm being horribly superficial but Fox has lost that sweet bloom of youth and seems to be going through the motions tonight or maybe I just don't fancy him any more lol
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,028
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Radio Times online has it billed as final as well. I think I read somewhere that this is definitely the final series but that one off specials weren't ruled out.

Reading elsewhere Whatley wanted the ending left open in case he does specials but ITV wanted it given a wrap up and closure this year in case there are no more.

Does anyone else think they could
    have him marry the pathologist ? And retire. If there are more its to come out of retirement to solve one last case and so on
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It probably costs a lot to produce - anyone know how overseas sales stand up? Saw it in France whilst on holiday there last year. Maybe all eggs are going in the Endeavour basket?
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    As for Hathaway not being in one episode there is previous for this as Lewis didn't appear in one episode of Morse, the one where Morse was in hospital and tried to solve a Victorian murder.

Kevin actually decided to leave Morse at that time, which was why he didn't do the Wench is Dead. He wasn't going to do anymore.

He only went back cos the one after that was the last one.

I cant see Kevin doing it without Lawrence, even as one offs, not when he said about 3 years ago that he'd only go on doing Lewis as long as Lawrence wanted to do it.