New E4 comedy The New Normal

shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
Forum Member
Anybody watch it? No laugh out loud moments but think it might be a grower.
And the three main leads all very likeable and the nana suitably nasty - should be fun!

Comments

• FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Watched it too shanders, very sharp dialogue but not too over the top like Glee :)
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a gay man, I am sick to the high teeth of this constant portrayal of gay men as only effeminate camp queens who bitch.

And so we have this new campfest of baby obsessed gays and scatter cushions.

How strange that someone should mention Glee. (The biggest pile of camp crap ever to soil TV)
    Forum Member
    Because the creator of this show, also created Glee.
  • thetvkingthetvking Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    It's from the creator of Glee and feels a bit OTT. Apparently it gets better, could be worth sticking with.
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol Nana's lines - she says things no one dares to say in public anymore :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if this as been axed in the US? Because if it as then its not worth watching.
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    OTT gay characters in comedys are what work
    Look at Will & Grace, nobody really liked Will or Grace it was all about the 2 camper characters Jack & Karen

Still quite entertaining half hour though
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    OTT gay characters in comedys are what work
    Look at Will & Grace, nobody really liked Will or Grace it was all about the 2 camper characters Jack & Karen

Still quite entertaining half hour though

That happens in sitcoms where the supporting characters are more popular than the main characters. It didn't help in Will and Grace that the main characters were a bit boring and not very likeable.
    Forum Member
    Sky better keep their hands off this, they've got enough covert deals with the major studios to get any show they want already.
  • cutekitty7686cutekitty7686 Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to say I enjoyed it like others have mentioned not a lot of laugh out loud but something nice to watch and it does feel like it continue to be good :) Looking forward to more
  • Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed it too. Gay dude, it's not just the gay guys who are stereotypes; the whole main cast were, they're basically cardboards cutouts. I think that's basically the point. Just enjoy it for what it is!
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 15,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liked it. As other have said not LOL humour but nice little throwaway lines and actions. Ellen Bursten as Nana with the casual racism "Hey you - Hello Kitty", her Sharon Stone moment and her granddaughter having her listed as "Nana From Hell" on her phone. Yes they are all stereotypes because without setting them up in that way they wouldnt be able to show them differently as the series progresses (if that makes sense). I'm keeping with it. Reminds me of a cancelled US series about an extended family that was shown on ITV in the middle of the night a while back (cant remember the name).
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if this as been axed in the US?

No, it hasn't been cancelled. And the ratings are solid enough that a second season is likely.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It was brilliant.