To Go Or Not To Go

JonahTakaluaJonahTakalua Posts: 2,516
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Okay, I will try and keep this brief.

Basically there is a good chance that I will be made redundant in September from the company I work at. In the meantime I am still working there but also volunteering in a primary school as I see my future as working as a TA and then trying to be a Teacher once I have the necessary qualifications.

Now, a few of my best friends want to book to go to New York at the beginning of December. They cannot go any other time so have asked me if I would like to book now as they want it booked as soon as possible. I really want to go, and I was all set to book to go, until I suddenly thought about my future....Ideally, if I am made redundant I want to get a job in a school which will mean certain holidays I have to abide by.

Therefore do I just go ahead and book this and tell any future school based employers that this was already booked or do I not book it ijust in case.

It's difficult as there are a lot of things I am not totally sure of like whether I definitely will be made redundant and will I even have a job by December. Guess I'm looking for advice as to whether I should just book it now and deal with the consequences if there is any.

Another thing to add is that the school are really pleased with me and the teacher I work with has spoke about putting in a good word for me and that theres a chance they could take me on and train me up...but again, it's another 'what if'.

Advice please :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    How do you know there will be a vacancy at the school. I think you should go with your friends and think about work probably after the Christmas holidays. I`m assuming you will get some redundancy pay to tide you over.
  • JonahTakaluaJonahTakalua Posts: 2,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moomsie wrote: »
    How do you know there will be a vacancy at the school. I think you should go with your friends and think about work probably after the Christmas holidays. I`m assuming you will get some redundancy pay to tide you over.

That's the thing, there may not be a vacancy. I know I have a tendency to look at a lot of 'what if situations' before I do things which I know is not good although I know I'm getting a bit better.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you do get a job in a school and need time off for the holiday you can ask for unpaid leave. I work in a local authority school as a learning assistant and whilst they don't encourage it, sometimes they have to give people unpaid leave to attend weddings abroad which are in term time etc.
  • Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would book it and then tell your future employer about it when you get the job. I got a job as a receptionist a few years ago and had already booked a holiday to Corfu so I told my boss I wouldn't be able to start work until after my holiday because it was already paid for.
  • JonahTakaluaJonahTakalua Posts: 2,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you do get a job in a school and need time off for the holiday you can ask for unpaid leave. I work in a local authority school as a learning assistant and whilst they don't encourage it, sometimes they have to give people unpaid leave to attend weddings abroad which are in term time etc.

Thanks for that info. I guess I am unsure of the policy. I can totally understand it not being encouraged, I just didn't want it to effect my chances of employment if I turn round and say "oh, actually, I need five days off in December". I would gladly take unpaid leave if possible. I guess it would be their choice to employ me once I have given them that information.

Starting to think I am just thinking too much about things that have not happened yet and I just go with the moment.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Usually if you have holidays booked when you start a new job your new employer will be pretty flexible. I understand that this is slightly different because of the pre defined holidays in teaching, but I would expect them to accommodate you anyway, although they might specify that it would be unpaid.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most employers ask have you any holidays booked when you start so they can accommodate you. You do have a right to take your leave.

However, i'd be wondering if you'll be able to afford it if you'll be unemployed? Finding a job isn't as easy as all that, I'd be looking for a new job now if i were you. Especially for a job in a school where you'd have to have possibly lengthy background checks and so on.

Just to give you an idea of how long it can take, I started my 51 week contract in my current job at the start of September. I had applied for a different job before I started (learning disability support worker in an NHS hospital). I went to interview in November and told I was successful in December. I am still being checked and waiting for my start date - 7 months into my 12 month contract!

I know it is taking a particularly long time for me, and I don't mean to scare you, but book the holiday if you really want and can afford it, then put it to the back of your mind and get yourself out there and get a new job before worrying about getting approved for leave.
  • bronsonbronson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you book the holiday you will get the job.
    If you don't book the holiday you won't get the job....this seems to happen:)
  • PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as i'm aware employers have to honour holidays, as long as you tell them straight away you'll be fine
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Book the holiday. If there is a job to apply for you will usually have to say if you have particular holiday commitments. If an employer wants you they will usually be prepared to honour plans you've previously made. As long as you make it clear to them that you would understand that if you got the job you would be restricted to school holidays for any future leave I'm sure it would be absolutely fine.

Have a nice holiday and good luck with the job.