Options

oliver cromwell,mad?

workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was reading about Oliver Cromwell on wiki and taking him as an example, was it his religion that caused him to kill.if thats the case then religions are in need of controls,as how often have killers said they felt they had gods backing.what's your opinion

From wikipedia
Born into the middle gentry, Cromwell was relatively obscure for the first 40 years of his life. After undergoing a religious conversion in the 1630s, he became an independent puritan, taking a generally (but not completely) tolerant view towards the many Protestant sects of his period.[1] An intensely religious man—a self-styled Puritan Moses—he fervently believed that God was guiding his victories.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    Probably politics and conquest - no different from leaders with no religion, I'd expect.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was the guy that banned christmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitler believed that something was guiding him. How can one be sure if there is something guiding them or not. Although in both cases the end result was a failure for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably politics and conquest - no different from leaders with no religion, I'd expect.

perhaps your right it just seems to much of a coincidence after 40 years and becoming a puritan that he feels he had gods backing to kill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    Hitler believed that something was guiding him. How can one be sure if there is something guiding them or not. Although in both cases the end result was a failure for them.

now if ever you need an example of a mad man he was one.
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    "I am persuaded that this is a righteous judgement of God on these barbarous wretches..."

^^Cromwell's justification of the Drogheda massacre.

Have a read about things Cromwell did after 1645 and make your own mind up.

He certainly wasn't a tolerant bloke! To be honest whilst it's difficult to put 21st century standards on 17th century actions, some of the things he came out with were not too far removed from the things proclaimed by the 'religious radicals' of the time, whom were thought dangerous enough for the Blasphemy Act to be passed.

Personally I think he was a religious nutcase.
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    "I am persuaded that this is a righteous judgement of God on these barbarous wretches..."

He certainly wasn't a tolerant bloke! To be honest whilst it's difficult to put 21st century standards on 17th century actions, some of the things he came out with were not too far removed from the things proclaimed by the 'religious radicals' of the time, whom were thought dangerous enough for the Blasphemy Act to be passed.

And a genocidal mass murderer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tortfeasor wrote: »

I agree with you and yet I can't explain the following.
    From Wikipedia
    In a 2002 BBC poll in Britain, Cromwell was selected as one of the ten greatest Britons of all time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And a genocidal mass murderer.

what I am reading would support that.shocking.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I can't stand Cromwell. He inflicted enormous damage on the country for no reason and then set himself up at Hampton Court where he lived like a tyrant of old.

He was infinitely worse than Charles I as he pretended to be something better, and he wasn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand Cromwell. He inflicted enormous damage on the country for no reason and then set himself up at Hampton Court where he lived like a tyrant of old.

He was infinitely worse than Charles I as he pretended to be something better, and he wasn't.

I haven't read up on Charles 1 but I read this on Oliver Cromwell in Wikipedia in relation to him.

Cromwell was one of the signatories of King Charles I's death warrant in 1649,