Have ninth, tenth and eleventh doctors all now bumped on one?

shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
Forum Member
It's going to be very confusing for everyone describing each doctor and where they fit in now...

Comments

• James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I think Hurt's official title is The War Doctor.

So it goes 8-War-9-10-11
  • SeventeenSeventeen Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I think Hurt's official title is The War Doctor

The thing is, he was ignored by the Doctor's that followed because they knew him as the man who destroyed Gallifrey. Now he knows better and has no reason to pretend he's had 11 faces rather than 12. There's nothing to differentiate his Doctor from any of the others.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Seventeen wrote: »
    The thing is, he was ignored by the Doctor's that followed because they knew him as the man who destroyed Gallifrey. Now he knows better and has no reason to pretend he's had 11 faces rather than 12. There's nothing to differentiate his Doctor from any of the others.

Oh yes that is true but I think for official merchandising it will be The War Doctor plus The others Doctors have forgotten up until the events of Day Of The Doctor so will keep their numbers as they still don't count him
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seventeen wrote: »

Only 11 knows this though and he's gone next month.

Capaldi may well refer to himself as the 13th Doctor but the others don't need to be renumbered.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Hurt can be the 12th Doctor - he's the 12th incarnation to hold the title, because he was only given it after 10 and 11 came into being.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    It's going to be very confusing for everyone describing each doctor and where they fit in now...

There is one Doctor with different faces.:)
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took Capaldi's "Make that 13" to mean he was Doctor number 13.

And the fact there only was 13 of them to mean that's all the versions of The Doctor there will be (until something is written in to explain how the show continues after 13 of course).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I'd say, yes and no.

Yes because by the end of Hurt's Doctors timeline he was recognised by 10 and 11 as the Doctor.

I'd say no, because 10 will never remember that, and to Hurt's Doctor he burned Gallifrey. But, we the viewers know the truth.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I'm concerned, yes!

I don't care what the official line is, Matt Smith is now the 12th.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    buuuut does this mean we only get one more doctor ?? and then no more?

I'm quite confused!
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capaldi named himself 13 so I think we should refer to Hurt as 9 now.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    buuuut does this mean we only get one more doctor ?? and then no more?

I'm quite confused!

Well, call me cynical but I can hazard a guess that as a thank you for "saving" gallifrey, the timelords grant The Doctor a fresh batch of regenerations. I reckon this will occur during Capaldi's series!
  • nosilauknosilauk Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hurt is 8.
    Capaldi announced himself as 13
    Hurt appeared 8th in the closing credits Doctor line up.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nosilauk wrote: »
    Hurt is 8.
    Capaldi announced himself as 13
    Hurt appeared 8th in the closing credits Doctor line up.
    McGann is unquestionably 8.

The only reason Hurt was 8 in the line-up is because Hartnell was on his own at the back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    I was sure the numbering would remain the same, until Capaldi arrived with that declaration of "Make that 13" now I keep finding myself referring to Matt as 12, Hurt as 9 etc, I think we won't really know until Series 8, if and when the Doctor or companion mentions what number he is and it is clarified or corrected.