Options

New software - Humax

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    truckerbob wrote: »
    To get the "Watch in HD" option a HD program has to be showing and you have to select BBC1 in EPG to actually watch. Then in the following options menu it should be there . Try then. The blank screen problem is intermittent.Not sure but I think it is liable to happen when exiting from recordings if there is no small inscreen display or it is blank if there is one.

I take it you mean press OK after I inputted 101 in my above post ? Did you press OK at the resulting watch in HD prompt or let it go away ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    But it's hardly a major thing. As I posted above, just press 'Exit' and you get the HD channel you selected back in full screen anyway.

As bugs go it's very, very minor imo. Probably better off just dropping an email to Humax so they're aware.
    Hi
    On reflection it probably is only a minor irratation, never the less still an obvious bug that should not happen if they got their act together. Seems a shame when it is still a good device let down by software bugs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I take it you mean press OK after I inputted 101 in my above post ? Did you press OK at the resulting watch in HD prompt or let it go away ?
    No. I am talking about the choice "Watch in HD" in the popup menu after pressing okay when BBC1 programme is highlighted in the EPG. Selecting tht choice then changes the channel to BBC1 HD but then goes back to the EPG. As Mickey says press Exit to clear the EPG. Not serious but never the less an obvious bug that shouldn't happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I am talking about the choice "Watch in HD" in the popup menu after pressing okay when BBC1 programme is highlighted in the EPG. Selecting tht choice then changes the channel to BBC1 HD but then goes back to the EPG. As Mickey says press Exit to clear the EPG. Not serious but never the less an obvious bug that shouldn't happen.

Tuned to BBC1-HD (Doctors) recording at the time as well.

TV Guide - pressed 101 - pressed OK - Selected Watch Now in HD - pressed OK. BBC 0ne HD appears in live channel preview box so you are watching BBC1-HD. As usual Exit clears the epg. Sorry I don't see an issue at all :confused:
  • Options
    IQ1IQ1 Posts: 235
    Forum Member

Hasn't it always done that, I remember playing around with it months ago and thinking that was a little odd. Surely watch in HD should bring up the full screen HD programme so you can watch it, but it doesn't and I don't think it ever did (might be wrong).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IQ1 wrote: »
    Hasn't it always done that, I remember playing around with it months ago and thinking that was a little odd. Surely watch in HD should bring up the full screen HD programme so you can watch it, but it doesn't and I don't think it ever did (might be wrong).

You may be right only time I ever watch in SD is to watch the regional news, I switch channels by simply keying the channel numbers, seems little point in using the epg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't know if its been that way before this update (I too normally use the channel numbers to select) but many rely on the EPG, not being able to remember the channel numbers, especially the new HD channels. Not sure where the programmers are based but surely "Watch in HD" means in English just that, not "Show me the guide again". Yet another unnecassery extra button to press.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know if its been that way before this update (I too normally use the channel numbers to select) but many rely on the EPG, not being able to remember the channel numbers, especially the new HD channels. Not sure where the programmers are based but surely "Watch in HD" means in English just that, not "Show me the guide again". Yet another unnecassery extra button to press.

9 keys to go via the epg (including the exit) if you don't watch the SD channel at all. If you do 12 , 6 to get there, 6 to get back. Using the channel numbers 3 to get there 3 to get back. Personally I think the prompt isn't needed to switch between simulcast channels anyway. I could see the point where in the past a BBC 2 programme may have been on BBC-HD (a separate channel)

This assumes you can remember the channel numbers, if you can't using the epg could take loads more key presses depending where you start from.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    9 keys to go via the epg (including the exit) if you don't watch the SD channel at all. If you do 12 , 6 to get there, 6 to get back. Using the channel numbers 3 to get there 3 to get back. Personally I think the prompt isn't needed to switch between simulcast channels anyway. I could see the point where in the past a BBC 2 programme may have been on BBC-HD (a separate channel)

This assumes you can remember the channel numbers, if you can't using the epg could take loads more key presses depending where you start from.

BBC 1 is the only one AKAIK that broadcasts regional stuff in SD which is not available in HD.
    So I think I'll delete SDs where there is an HD channel.
    The HDs are so scattered that I need a print of all remaining channels.
    I'm thinking in terms of my old HDR, but presume that would work for the 1000 series.
    David
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SWIZZ? wrote: »
    BBC 1 is the only one AKAIK that broadcasts regional stuff in SD which is not available in HD.
    So I think I'll delete SDs where there is an HD channel.
    The HDs are so scattered that I need a print of all remaining channels.
    I'm thinking in terms of my old HDR, but presume that would work for the 1000 series.
    David

Yes you can delete channels. Deleting 101 will still leave you the SD regions at the top of the epg anyway so you could simply keep that one.
  • Options
    paul1962paul1962 Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I was hoping they'd fix the DLNA client. Only allowing 1024 files makes it useless.

Removal of recording time in the planned list is also a retrograde step. It'd be much better if they changed the planned and record list display to that shown when debug mode is enabled.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Tuned to BBC1-HD (Doctors) recording at the time as well.
    TV Guide - pressed 101 - pressed OK - Selected Watch Now in HD - pressed OK. BBC 0ne HD appears in live channel preview box so you are watching BBC1-HD. As usual Exit clears the epg. Sorry I don't see an issue at all :confused:
    Well I confess that when I first used the Watch in HD I was thoroughly confused by the redisplay of the EPG rather than immediately switching to full-screen display of the HD channel. Now that I understand then, agreed, it's no big deal. It does, however, raise the question of why on earth they designed it that way, given that it requires a further unnecessary button push. I guess lots of users will feel like me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I confess that when I first used the Watch in HD I was thoroughly confused by the redisplay of the EPG rather than immediately switching to full-screen display of the HD channel. Now that I understand then, agreed, it's no big deal. It does, however, raise the question of why on earth they designed it that way, given that it requires a further unnecessary button push. I guess lots of users will feel like me.

I would ask what the point of the option is anyway. afaik it doesn't know if the HD simulcast version of the channel is in fact transmitting true HD (a certain proportion will be upscaled SD). Apart from watching regional news on 101 the epg entry is a copy of the HD one anyway. You get an on screen prompt press 101 anyway if watching the HD channel when regional news is available. You could delete channel 101 and still watch all the BBC SD regions. I reckon it's a hangover from when BBC-HD was a totally separate channel and transmitted true HD content gleaned from BBC1 and BBC2. In that case the epg entries for 101 and 102 were totally different to 108. It did then make sense to see what was coming up next on BBC-HD when flipping from 101 or 102.

Hope that's not too disjointed :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I would ask what the point of the option is anyway...
    I have some sympathy with that view. There are two issues here...
    1) Is this feature required, or keenly sought by users. I never missed it before and if I want to watch the HD version I know how to find it. So the presence or otherwise of this feature I'm not really bothered about.
    2) Having decided to include it, or any other feature, Humax might at least do their users the courtesy of implementing it with excellence, making it intuitive and easy to use. Why then do they or Freesat insist in making everything counter-intuitive and confusing? When you look at the roll call of senior staff in Freesat (all almost certainly on 100K+ pa) you would imagine that among them would be some who actually use the box they are promoting and would think...this is not the best we can do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have some sympathy with that view. There are two issues here...
    1) Is this feature required, or keenly sought by users. I never missed it before and if I want to watch the HD version I know how to find it. So the presence or otherwise of this feature I'm not really bothered about.
    2) Having decided to include it, or any other feature, Humax might at least do their users the courtesy of implementing it with excellence, making it intuitive and easy to use. Why then do they or Freesat insist in making everything counter-intuitive and confusing? When you look at the roll call of senior staff in Freesat (all almost certainly on 100K+ pa) you would imagine that among them would be some who actually use the box they are promoting and would think...this is not the best we can do.

Humax have no say on the UI, the design is entirely down to Freesat. I don't like the daft boot to the home screen, or the flashing version of the press OK either. I have expressed these views already, not prepared to start a tirade, life is too short to get so upset over minor issue that do not stop the box carrying out it's primary purpose.

I have seen posts from users who love the SD/HD link. You can't please everyone.

Mine continues to reliably record everything I ask it to, despite very minor irritations.

However some of the comments made by some posters are particulary inane. Complaining about the date the firmware file was created from what was presumably a previous beta version to create the production release rather says something about the poster don't you think.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I have seen posts from users who love the SD/HD link. You can't please everyone.

I like the SD/HD link, but I doubt I'll see it again as I watch the HD channels and record most things.

Still haven't seen a watch/record this programme trailer thing yet ! Does it work on recordings too ?
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    However some of the comments made by some posters are particulary inane. Complaining about the date the firmware file was created from what was presumably a previous beta version to create the production release rather says something about the poster don't you think.
    Yep that did make me laugh a little :D
    It's almost as good as the guy whos complaint is because he can't see what's on in the earlier guide even though the box isn't even connect to the internet :D.
    Still haven't seen a watch/record this programme trailer thing yet ! Does it work on recordings too ?

No it doesn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

Thank you, I'll stop looking out for them then. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the SD/HD link, but I doubt I'll see it again as I watch the HD channels and record most things.

If you click OK you get the options for series recording etc. It only seems to appear on BBC channels. It just appeared in the gap between Real Lives Re-united and Bargain Hunt (on 108). I actually quite like this feature if only they wouldn't strobe the large and rather bright message. I will get a screen shot next time it happens. :)

I will post on MyHumax as it's much easier to embed photographs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep that did make me laugh a little :D
    It's almost as good as the guy whos complaint is because he can't see what's on in the earlier guide even though the box isn't even connect to the internet :D.

No it doesn't.

Gonzo

Did you not get the option to create a scheduled recording ?

Graham
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you click OK you get the options for series recording etc. It only seems to appear on BBC channels. It just appeared in the gap between Real Lives Re-united and Bargain Hunt (on 108). I actually quite like this feature if only they wouldn't strobe the large and rather bright message. I will get a screen shot next time it happens. :)

I will post on MyHumax as it's much easier to embed photographs.

Thanks I'll look out for, that strobing one doesn't sound overly appealing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gonzo

Did you not get the option to create a scheduled recording ?

Graham

Yes I did on live broadcast, but you don't get the pop up on a recording or if watching within the buffer.(which I think that's what IQ1 was meaning with regards to does it work on recordings too)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I did on live broadcast, but you don't get the pop up on a recording or if watching within the buffer.(which I think that's what IQ1 was meaning with regards to does it work on recordings too)

Misunderstood, would you want the popup overlayed on recordings or non live playback ? the popups only appear in the gaps between programmes, I can imagine the outcry if they were overlaid on someones favourite programme :)

Need the OP to clarify. A popup for The Voice appeared in the gap between Bargain Hunt and The News. Set a series recording for it with no problems.

IQ1 I have photos but it hardly seems worthwhile posting them as Gonzo doesn't have an issue. I can upload to a file share site if you want to see them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Misunderstood, would you want the popup overlayed on recordings or non live playback ?
    Talking about popups, I was using YouTube last night and that pocksy recording set banner appeared :mad:
    Now if only they could do something about that as it's ever so annoying everytime it updates a series link. (Well I assume that's why it randomly appears)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking about popups, I was using YouTube last night and that pocksy recording set banner appeared :mad:
    Now if only they could do something about that as it's ever so annoying everytime it updates a series link. (Well I assume that's why it randomly appears)

I never figured out why that appears either. Wouldn't be so bad if turning on diagnostics enabled it. Surprised you see it while viewing Youtube.