Worst ever winning Eurovision song

Comments

• spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Estonia 01 is dreadful. They should have won in 02 not 01.
  • Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jem Casper wrote: »
    Dana Shiternational and Lorde.

Agreed.

I also hated:

Brotherhood of Man - Save All Your Kisses for Me (1976)
    Bucks Fizz - Making Your Mind Up (1981)
    All the Irish winners with the exception of Dana (1970)
    The pile of sh*te which won in 2013 for Denmark
    The French entry in 1977
    ABBA - Waterloo (1974) - (I preferred the UK and Dutch entries that year)
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,263
    Forum Member
    Estonia 2001 and Latvia 2002, because they're awful and SBS Eurovision refuses to let me forget them, especially I Wanna! I'm not one for believing in conspiracy theories, but I'm fairly convinced that Marie N is blackmailing SBS! :D:D

Russia 2008 was dire as well, Ani and Sirusho were robbed! :cry:>:(
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Angela F wrote: »
    Agreed.

I also hated:

Brotherhood of Man - Save All Your Kisses for Me (1976)
    Bucks Fizz - Making Your Mind Up (1981)
    The pile of sh*te which won in 2013 for Denmark
    The French entry in 1977
    ABBA - Waterloo (1974) - (I preferred the UK and Dutch entries that year)

You can't mean Johnny Logan's two triumphs surely?
  • spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Estonia 2001 and Latvia 2002, because they're awful and SBS Eurovision refuses to let me forget them, especially I Wanna! I'm not one for believing in conspiracy theories, but I'm fairly convinced that Marie N is blackmailing SBS! :D:D

Russia 2008 was dire as well, Ani and Sirusho were robbed! :cry:>:(

I assume you mean Kalomira, yes? ;-):p:D
  • zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serbia 2007 :yawn:
    Russia 2008 (overrated)
    Denmark 2013 (totally overrated)

However none of the winners have really stood out, they are good but all of the amazing entries are ignored because they are represented by minor countries, it should really be the Eurovision Country Contest (vote for your favourite country)

The last winner that stood out was Finland 2006 (that did deserve to win)
  • Odette ValmontOdette Valmont Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turkey in 2003 was bad.

Russia in 2008, I don't even know how he got through the semi finals let alone won!

I didn't like Rock and Roll Kids in 1994 as much as some of Ireland's previous winners but it was completely overshadowed by Riverdance anyway.

Oh and Running Scared, Eric Saade was robbed!
    Agreed! Eric should have won that year, I adore him - he's so cute :blush:
  • cc264cc264 Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Only started watching in 2008, but the worst by far is Running Scared.
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never really got Wild Dances but I like Ruslana so I'll forgive the noises that she made (oh no, not the whips?). I didn't like Molitva. I didn't like Believe. I didn't like Fairytale (I could punch Alexander Rybak quite a lot)... I will never like Fairytale. Didn't like Running Scared (my least favourite Azerbaijan song). I think we can all say that we don't really like Only Teardross anymore.
  • jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    Excuse me if this thread has been done before - I did a search but couldn't find one.

What in your opinion has been the worst ever winning Eurovision song?

Mine has to be this dirge from 2007 - Serbia

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FSueQN1QvV4

Link doesn't seem to work - you may have to cut and paste.

Totally agree. Serbia 2007 is such an awful, boring song- there's no melody, it doesn't go anywhere! Worst Eurovision Winner Ever
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsam93 wrote: »
    Totally agree. Serbia 2007 is such an awful, boring song- there's no melody, it doesn't go anywhere! Worst Eurovision Winner Ever

Wow I can't believe I'm reading this, its a great song and has stood the test of time and would probably win even if it was entered now.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diva Dima
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am out in Norway this weekend and last night they rerun on their main tv station Ng1 the whole of the 1986 Contest that was held in Bergen Norway after their first win in 1985.

The UK entry was truly appalling. Some nomarks called Ryder fronted by Bill Maynard's son would you believe.

Anyway the winner was also very poor. It was won by Belgium by a young girl who looked 13 - actually some say she was 13- and a song called I love the life. Just awful.

The show was very staid. The compere was a school mistress type a la Katie Boyle.

Norway have a massive TV build up to the Contest. They love it very much.
  • pauledin99pauledin99 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Estonia 2001

then

Yugoslavia 1989 & Russia 2008
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Malta should of won :(!

We seem to agree on some things, I thought that was a decent effort that year as well.

Not sure about some of the responses, it seems some people just have it in for songs that beat their own favourite rather than mentioning songs they really dislike. There's no way Molitva or Si la vie est cadeau are without melody.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rorybb wrote: »
    also thought 1997 UK winner was very boring

90s pop can be so formulaic and lacking in character, possibly the worst British winner, even if some like it for nostalgia or rate others worse just because they are in earlier styles they don't get.
    Angela F wrote: »

In Your Eyes is arguably the best Irish entry there's been, it's certainly not bad.
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In this century, Estonia 2001 and Latvia 2002; though I'm happy for those countries to have won, especially Estonia, but those songs were just dire. And of course, Russia 2008. >:(

Also never liked the Irish winners of 1992 & 1993.

(The best Irish winner is of course 1996, it's timeless :))
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 96 entry starts nicely undoubtedly, but then it gets offtrack and really the chorus is too simple and I don't find it memorable. Like a lot of music in modern times it's nicely performed, very smooth and I guess that's what people want. But I just wouldn't mind a memorable melody too.
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    The 96 entry starts nicely undoubtedly, but then it gets offtrack and really the chorus is too simple and I don't find it memorable. Like a lot of music in modern times it's nicely performed, very smooth and I guess that's what people want. But I just wouldn't mind a memorable melody too.
    Well, can't help you if you don't find a melody in it, I do (and considering it won, many others do too) :)

To me it's like a medieval ballad, and yet timeless, like an eternal voice of humankind echoing through mists of history...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I can't believe how many people hate I Wanna...I actually think its quite a quirky little song. For Estonia 01, although I don't like it, I can see why it won.

Although the worst winner has to be Russia 08 surely? What a load of crap!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    Well, can't help you if you don't find a melody in it, I do (and considering it won, many others do too) :)

To me it's like a medieval ballad, and yet timeless, like an eternal voice of humankind echoing through mists of history...

The starting melody is very nice, but then it becomes pretty middle of the road, even the break really too not just the chorus. And I think your second sentence refers to the atmosphere of it which is what I think most people like it for.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,491
    Forum Member
    I dislike all of the Irish winners in the 90's bar Rock & Roll Kids, and it goes almost without saying at this point that I think Latvia, Estonia and Russia were all dire!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satellite and Fairytale were both unworthy winners; not awful but shouldn't have won.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The vocal on Satellite was pretty awful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    The vocal on Satellite was pretty awful.

I'm sure Lena is lovely but I don't get the hype for her at all.