Mentions of Savile / Harris / Hall etc in old comedies

shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
Forum Member
With the unfortunate repeat of the Benidorm episode mentioning Rolf Harris tonight what other comedies and sketch shows have scenes which will either have to be edited out for future repeats or mean they can't be re shown? I think there's a Goodies episode with multiple Rolf Harrises.
And is there a Porridge where Fletch mentions Jimmy Savile?

Comments

• steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    With the unfortunate repeat of the Benidorm episode mentioning Rolf Harris tonight what other comedies and sketch shows have scenes which will either have to be edited out for future repeats or mean they can't be re shown? I think there's a Goodies episode with multiple Rolf Harrises.
    And is there a Porridge where Fletch mentions Jimmy Savile?

TV Burp has Harry and the audience doing Jimmy Saville impressions and his appearance on Big Brother.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no point in trying to airbrush these people out of history. They were on telly for about fifty years each, so we're bound to have mentions cropping up on old programmes quite regularly.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OFAH has had a very funny line from Trigger cut regarding Jimmy Savile.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Dave, who are well used to cutting things, seem to have reacted calmly to Savile - or just not noticed - because they have kept Hugh Dennis' Savile impressions in Mock The Week.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a problem -they exist so why pretend they don't? Stalin isn't erasing history any more!
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a problem -they exist so why pretend they don't? Stalin isn't erasing history any more!

Who's running the Daily Mail these days though;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Dave, who are well used to cutting things, seem to have reacted calmly to Savile - or just not noticed - because they have kept Hugh Dennis' Savile impressions in Mock The Week.

Well then thats me boycotting DAVE then! In future if I want to watch a show that Dave air Im putting on the rwtail DVDs from now on.
  • TheDevil666TheDevil666 Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't Rolf Harris once in an episode of My Family?
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was half watching Benidorm on ITV+1 tonight. Is that the reason why they cut to the 'legal issues' screen a couple of times? Were the Rolf mentions aired on ITV?

There was a mention of Rolf Harris (and a little clip of Two Little Boys) on Dave last night, on the drugs episode of Not Going Out.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Rolf Harris once in an episode of My Family?
    I think it was the 2010 Xmas special.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x1sp7
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't North Korea. We shouldn't airbrush people out of history. Half of old TV won't make any sense if we do.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    This isn't North Korea. We shouldn't airbrush people out of history. Half of old TV won't make any sense if we do.

QUITE RIGHT!!

The old sods have done their bad bits - and some are paying for it now!!
    But pleeease let us have programmes that mean something - and not chop and cut everything out of it all!! Was 'Two Little Boys' cut out of NOT GOING OUT?? We are not children - we KNOW what has happened!! Jimmy Saville was a paedophile too.....he still remains on DVD's !
    They deserve to rot in hell.....but why spoil everyone elses enjoyment in a programme that may involve them briefly - and block it entirely?
    What if Rolf or Jimmy appeared in a 70's series like THE GOOD LIFE or FAWLTY TOWERS? Would they scrap them???
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Well then thats me boycotting DAVE then! In future if I want to watch a show that Dave air Im putting on the rwtail DVDs from now on.

Give me strength.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »

I would agree. They especially shouldn't be cut from 70s or 80s shows like Only Fools and Horses as those shows are products of their time. I'm pretty sure my OFAH box set is the uncut version.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just why did he think introducing 'Showaddywaddy,' in a Jimmy Savile-style slow staccato, and repeating it ad nauseam, was so amusing?
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodnight Sweethart had a funny sequence with Rolf Harris. No doubt that will he cut.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Goodnight Sweethart had a funny sequence with Rolf Harris. No doubt that will he cut.

It did make me laugh, to be honest.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XTx5XuN8_A
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    You can not rewrite history. I think the Daily Mail has too much clout in my eyes and the paper needs curbing.

Harris and Saville are indeed sick men yet they did exist.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been trying to find a recording of the "Rolf Harris Dirty Songbook" from "I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again", but no luck so far!

K

edit: found it!

http://www.stafaband.info/download/mp3/lagu_rolf_harris_dirty_song_collection/
  • conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's getting like communist Russia, what will happen if there needs to be a long edit ?
    Part of a party political broadcast ? ..
    'Due to legal reasons, we are unable to broadcast the next segment so here is a message from the Labour Party'
    political correctness reaching ridiculous levels.
    Unedited boxed sets of nostalgic shows are set to go up in value.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie Chaplin had sex with under-age girls but no-one suggests banning his films or air-brushing him out of history.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't imagine Stuart Hall's name crops up in popular culture very often, but I bet someone at UK Gold has been sharpening the scissors (again; he's just recovering from the Saville all-nighter) in readiness of the long night ahead cutting out all the references to Harris.

FWIW, I think the only circumstances I would agree with cutting a mention of them would be if it was done under license in some way (and would subsequently involve a payment to them) or it makes an un-fortunate and co-incidental reference (made innocently and in jest at the time) to what we now know happened.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    I think it's nice to keep these things as they are as they clearly show attitudes of the time and how they have changed. I also hate censorship of any kind. I'm an adult and can make my own choices as to if I wish to view something or not.

It's like the black dog's name in the Dambusters. That was his name and it was 1943. Why pretend he wasn't called that and try and change history? Also the attitude of the time in Mr Selfridge were women were seen as lesser than men.

So keep things as they were.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV have now apologised, they withdrew it from the +1 channel as soon as they realised their error:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28124959
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps a warning beforehand that the programme contains references to Saville/Hall/Harris and that they were recorded years before information about them came to light is all that is required. Then people can make an informed choice whether to watch or not, instead of being told what they should and shouldn't watch.