Mentions of Savile / Harris / Hall etc in old comedies

Comments

• DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    There's also an episode from Have I Got News For You from 2009 that's never gonna see the light of day again.

I have found it online,

Have I got Didgerdoos for you as he introduces it

Rolf makes a joke about hell and sinners (can't remember it, but it's a few minutes in), one of those "oh dear" moments

Ahh here ya go...

.. He is talking about the devil leaving hell as it's too crowded, so goes up to earth to find sinners (or something)... And ends with the line "Well he would have been busy this week"...
    It's in relation to mps expenses, but definitely has an extra feeling this week
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a pity that so many people seem to have been brainwashed into thinking that these people, their work and anything in which they feature "cannot" now be shown.

The real reason is that the BBC is intensely embarrassed by all this because Savile and others like Rolf Harris, Stuart Hall etc were employed by them. That's why they won't show programmes that include them. It shouldn't be a concern for other channels or anyone else for that matter.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    Google 'Elm House'.

Before the Savile stuff came out there were threads on DS linking Savile to the Jersey Childrens homes, and alleging he helped cover up for several "prominent" individuals.

Lest we forget that Anthony Blunt was known to be a Russian spy and worked for the Queen as her art adviser.
    There was a documentary about Edward VIII that alleged that it was Blunt who went to France and destroyed any evidence of his Nazi sympathy.

However, as the Newsnight story about North Wales showed, sometimes names get bandied about for no reason.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a pity that so many people seem to have been brainwashed into thinking that these people, their work and anything in which they feature "cannot" now be shown.

The real reason is that the BBC is intensely embarrassed by all this because Savile and others like Rolf Harris, Stuart Hall etc were employed by them. That's why they won't show programmes that include them. It shouldn't be a concern for other channels or anyone else for that matter.
    That doesn't explain ITV cancelling a +1 repeat of Benidorm which mentioned Rolf Harris and apologising for showing the episode at all.

The BBC is not responsible for the crimes of its employees.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the whole of that HIGNFY RH episode

There is a few more "oh dear" moments, including a reference to his swimming with kids video (says the kids were all over him), and a joke about The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown about a burning helmet and groupies.

So odd in the new context.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    That doesn't explain ITV cancelling a +1 repeat of Benidorm which mentioned Rolf Harris and apologising for showing the episode at all.

That was exactly my point. There was no need for it, whereas it's clear why the BBC wants to shove it all under the carpet.
    The BBC is not responsible for the crimes of its employees.

There have been suggestions that the behaviour of Savile and others was known about and tolerated by management. And that complaints were ignored, or worse.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real reason is that the BBC is intensely embarrassed by all this because Savile and others like Rolf Harris, Stuart Hall etc were employed by them.
    They all worked for ITV, too. Hall was working on ITV's "Granada" regional news after he left the BBC regional news.

Savile worked at a couple of ITV companies, plus two decades at commercial radio after he left Radio 1.

Harris left his BBC Cartoon Time series in 1989, to do Cartoon Club for Children's ITV (made in Bristol).
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been suggestions that the behaviour of Savile and others was known about and tolerated by management. And that complaints were ignored, or worse.

Also tolerated by the Conservative party & Royal family. :o
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Besides the Rolf Harris HIGNFY, there is also a Chris Langham, plus panel appearances by Savile & Jonathan King.

Those won't be shown again.

Any more ?
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Besides the Rolf Harris HIGNFY, there is also a Chris Langham, plus panel appearances by Savile & Jonathan King.

Those won't be shown again.

Any more ?

Does the Paula Yates 'sperm of the devil' ep ever get re-run? Figure that one might be considered embarrassing now too.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Does the Paula Yates 'sperm of the devil' ep ever get re-run? Figure that one might be considered embarrassing now too.

I suppose it would have got to the point eventually, that these editions would be too old to rerun on a regular basis.

By the way, Dead Ringers, in its final series, had a lengthy Totp sketch in one episode. Did the recent Comedy Channel include that sketch?

I would have to check my off airs for this otherwise, but how often did Culshaw do Rolf Harris?

Correct me if I'm wrong but this censorship is gonna be worse with Rolf than Savile, as he made many more one off appearances in all sorts of stuff than Savile surely?
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    It actually really upsets me to think that Rolf is guilty of these crimes, i used to like him:(

I never would have thought it of him, Saville i never ever liked anyway but Rolf :(

I'm still shocked about it and probably will be for a few weeks, im so disappointed in Rolf:(
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,471
    Forum Member
    I'm still shocked about it and probably will be for a few weeks, im so disappointed in Rolf:(

It's like finding Bagpuss with mouse tails dangling from the corner of his mouth.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    There is a few more "oh dear" moments, including a reference to his swimming with kids video (says the kids were all over him).

RH - "Once they're in the water, they really love it!"

At least with the cameras on him we can be sure that nothing nasty happened while in the pool. I just hope he didn't get into the changing rooms!

As others have said, I was surprised to find RH involved in kiddie fiddling, and am so disappointed that someone who - on TV - was such a part of my childhood chose to live as he did.
  • RelugusRelugus Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ITV employed Savile and Harris as well, though. In fact the real embarrassment should be from Edwina Currie and Ken Clarke, who allowed Savile a ridiculous, and highly suspicious, amount of access and power at Broadmoor.
  • RelugusRelugus Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RH - "Once they're in the water, they really love it!"

At least with the cameras on him we can be sure that nothing nasty happened while in the pool. I just hope he didn't get into the changing rooms!

As others have said, I was surprised to find RH involved in kiddie fiddling, and am so disappointed that someone who - on TV - was such a part of my childhood chose to live as he did.

Terry Nutkins, Tony Hart, and Bobby Ball still shine like beacons in my childhood, thankfully.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suggestions aren't fact. The worst that is likely is they didn't check who he allowed in his dressing room etc. but then why would they?

I don't subscribe to the view that his activities were deliberately facilitated. He wasn't so powerful as to be above the law either. The problem was complaints weren't taken seriously and probably assumed to be malicious. He knew a lot of influential people but most would have dropped him if underage sex accusations had been made and taken seriously.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,684
    Forum Member

Yeah, it hit me hard too :( It seems everyone liked Rolf, I wanted to believe he was innocent or not guilty, so disappointed in him :(

I did like his HIGNFY episode at the time :)
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,684
    Forum Member
    On the song Two Little Boys, I read a post in the General Discussion forum, that song was wrote in 1902, and kept people going through 2 world wars, who has tbe right to erase it

I agree. I dont think it should be erased, and think its actually a very moving song with a lovely message about friendship :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

Why would it be embarrassing now? Surely not because Paula has died? Or is it something I've forgotten about?
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Will they have to trawl through every single programme to see if anyone says 'd'you know what it is yet?' seeing as that's said because Rolf Harris said it.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 26,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Will they have to trawl through every single programme to see if anyone says 'd'you know what it is yet?' seeing as that's said because Rolf Harris said it.

Probably yes, I'm surprised nobody at ITV didn't pick up on the shows details before airing it
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I have hundreds of DVD's of programmes I've taped over the years to watch again and there's one about the story of something to do wtih music (can't remember what it was, at this moment!) and Jimmy Saville appears on it.

That programme has been repeated since then and he was cut out of it.

I've got the official OFAH DVD's as well, which is just as well, cos Trig's line about 'Sounds like Jimmy Saville' when it was actually Del and Rodney's mum - lol - is hilarious and cutting that out just ruins the joke!
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I'll believe it's true when he actually admits it's true and it's not just 4 women out to jump on the bandwagon and make money out of the modern trend of blaming someone for something they say was done umpteen years ago.

How many well known men from decades ago have been worrying they'll be accused of things just because they were a bit too touchy feely at the time?

I'm just glad I have lots of episodes of Animal Hospital on DVD, which I taped a few years ago cos I always loved it, cos that sadly won't be shown again.

I assume this is a pathetic attempt at a joke !
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Perhaps a warning beforehand that the programme contains references to Saville/Hall/Harris and that they were recorded years before information about them came to light is all that is required. Then people can make an informed choice whether to watch or not, instead of being told what they should and shouldn't watch.

I agree with you. For all we know Oscar Wilde had sex with underage boys. He was alleged to have said that' little boys should be' obscene and not heard' though I am unable to verify this. Nevertheless his works such as The Importance of Being Earnest are too classic in wit and style, as are his many epigrams, to be erased from our literature, in my own view.

The Queen has not asked for Rolf Harris's depiction of her to be burned and neither should she, again, obviously, in my own view.

Simone de Beauvoir, 60s feminist icon, and the works of Jean Paul Sartre still stand, though De Beavoir had relationships with female students then passed them on to her husband Sartre. Where will it all end regarding art, music, literature? Salvador Dali is alleged to have nailed a kitten to a board!

Rolf Harris has been convicted of doing very wrong and should be brought to justice, no question , however old or frail he may be, but his work should remain and any references are of their time and should also remain.