Options

Another Kind of TV Cliche Thread

Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I buy Radio Times every week, not sure why, it's dull as, but anyhoo, on the last page they have an interview that discusses a celebrity's viewing habits. The Q&A is so predictable every week and usually goes like this:

Q What scared you on TV as a child?
A Doctor Who!!! Ooh, I used to watch it from behind the sofa!!!

Q What do you switch off?
A Oh those terrible scripted reality shows like TOWIE

Q Who do you admire on the TV?
A David Attenborough is SUCH a hero of mine...

And so and and so forth. I think of all of them it's the "Doctor Who from behind the sofa/cushion" that bugs me the most, it's so cliched and predictable.

Anybody else care to share?

Comments

• Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor Who thing is something a lot of people say whether or not they actually did hide from it. I don't believe it myself. I was a child when Dr Who started but never found it that scary. Exciting yes, but not scary. It was tea time TV on BBC, it was clearly not real, why hide?

Myths turned into cliches: Back in the day I remember Kenneth Wolstenholme commentating on the Cup Final and every year he would mention, at least once, the lush Wembley turf and its particular cramp inducing qualities. Nothing to do with lack of fitness, dehydration or playing extra time then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After 'seeing' the shadow of the Yeti at the end of Episode 1 of Dr Who I was terrified and had to sleep with my bedroom door open and the hall light on for the next several years.
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Brendon Foster commentating on the London Marathon, the Great North Run, Great Manchester Run etc....

"36000 runners running this race, every one of them running a race of their own"

Every year without fail.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ever since I first heard Carole Vorderman laugh, I've had to stop watching her as I've had migraines for days afterwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think that Del Boy falling through the bar cited as the height of comedy is really lazy and cliched.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actors/writers whenever they're plugging their new project in an interview or on The One Show for example are always 'very excited' about their latest production and it's always to do with something they always been 'very very passionate about'.

It's a dreadful cliche, extremely corny, and it's enthusiasm I'm sure they very often have to fake, but they never the less still need to promote their wares. Poor luvvies.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Continuing with the Dr Who thing, everybody seems to have forgotten that an awful lot of the old stuff was cheap pantomime shite of the worst kind.

Since it's reinvention with loads of cash being thrown at both production values and scripts, it is unrecognisable from former years. The hardcore fanboys seem to pretend that it was always like this when it really wasn't.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I also think that Del Boy falling through the bar cited as the height of comedy is really lazy and cliched.

Yes - it was VERY funny at first I must say. But it has been shown so many times since....it has become a parody of itself!

I never understood the "hiding behind the sofa" bit with Doctor Who. I was sometimes a bit scared as a kid - but I was more on the edge of my seat panting for more!!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Adverts for albums

"The album of the year"

Every album released can't be the album of the year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Adverts for albums

"The album of the year"

Albums of soft rock like Foreigner/Def Leppard/Aerosmith compilations...PERFECT FOR FATHER'S DAY!!!!!

Albums of soft shite like Mickey Bubble, Boyzone and Westlife compilations...PERFECT FOR MOTHER'S DAY!!!

I'd disown both of my kids if they presented me with that crap of a Sunday morning in March.
  • Options
    Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Football commentators have to be the most banal human beings on the face of the planet, and no sport, game or pastime is more riddled with clichés than football.

Every player who ever kicked a ball with his left foot is described as having "a sweet left foot". Nobody ever runs down the wing, they go "marauding" and any goal that is scored at any time between the 40th and 45th minute is described as having been scored "on the stroke of half time." The fact that the game then restarts and play carries on for another five minutes seems to totally elude them.

Commentators clearly don't even think about what they're going to say next. They just engage mouth and let it run away with itself. Some of them must be worried that if they ever stop talking, that hole in the middle of their face will somehow heal itself up and they won't be able to use it any more.

We should be so lucky.

Sky Sports had a red button option for a couple of seasons where viewers could watch live matches with no commentary, just the crowd noise. It was sheer bliss. Unfortunately, this facility was cancelled after a couple of seasons. Methinks it must have become very popular and the commentators became miffed because fewer and fewer people were listening to them any more.

If there was any group of people in sport and / or television that I would send to Room 101, it would be football commentators.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Adverts for albums

"The album of the year"

Or it's 'The Stunning ' new album from xxx.

Who says it is? It's only just been released, we haven't even heard it yet. Bell ends.
  • Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I buy Radio Times every week, not sure why, it's dull as, but anyhoo, on the last page they have an interview that discusses a celebrity's viewing habits. The Q&A is so predictable every week and usually goes like this:

Q What scared you on TV as a child?
    A Doctor Who!!! Ooh, I used to watch it from behind the sofa!!!

Q What do you switch off?
    A Oh those terrible scripted reality shows like TOWIE

Q Who do you admire on the TV?
    A David Attenborough is SUCH a hero of mine...

And so and and so forth. I think of all of them it's the "Doctor Who from behind the sofa/cushion" that bugs me the most, it's so cliched and predictable.

Anybody else care to share?

It might be my age (I turned 24 last week) but almost all TV is horribly cliched, though I suspect it always was. There is the faux excitement and artificial tension of Masterchef, the knocking on the door of someone who opens up and is suprised to see the presenter ('Oh, hello') and, presumably the cameraman, soundrecordist, producer and I don't know who else in his trail

There are the oh-so predictable 'police procedurals' with these days a feisty, but caring women inspector, probably a single mum juggling motherhood and career and who won't be cowed by any man!

There are the bullshit Horizon one-hour programmes, when you know what the guy/gal is going to say several minutes before they say it with lots of moody or snazzy shots and mood music.

Give me a break.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    When anyone comes out of the Big Brother house, whether celebrity or 'civilian' I'd like Emma Willis to ask the contestant "So describe your experience without using the words 'emotional' or 'rollercoaster'". It seems to be a cliched phrase used for every TV experience that even slightly raises the blood pressure.

I'm also immensely irritated by the overuse of the word 'amazing' to describe utter mediocrities such as the karaoke turns on X Factor. If I were ever on "Room 101" I'd put it in alongside other misuses of superlatives.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any show where there is a group of contestants (mostly celebrities) that compete every week and get whittled down to an ultimate winner e.g. Dancing On Ice, Strictly Come Dancing, Masterchef etc where the presenter will inevitably say: "This is the best year ever" (even when it's not).
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be an endless supply of contestants on quiz shows that are as thick as pig sh*t or haven't heard of anything older/ that occurred more than 20 years ago.

If I wasn't so self conscious I would apply, but I wouldn't be good TV fodder.
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody giving / gave 110% effort on programmes like The Apprentice, footballers inteviewed after matches, etc
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Continuing with the Dr Who thing, everybody seems to have forgotten that an awful lot of the old stuff was cheap pantomime shite of the worst kind.

Since it's reinvention with loads of cash being thrown at both production values and scripts, it is unrecognisable from former years. The hardcore fanboys seem to pretend that it was always like this when it really wasn't.

Yeah whatever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corkhead. wrote: »
    Football commentators have to be the most banal human beings on the face of the planet, and no sport, game or pastime is more riddled with clichés than football.

Every player who ever kicked a ball with his left foot is described as having "a sweet left foot". Nobody ever runs down the wing, they go "marauding" and any goal that is scored at any time between the 40th and 45th minute is described as having been scored "on the stroke of half time." The fact that the game then restarts and play carries on for another five minutes seems to totally elude them.

Commentators clearly don't even think about what they're going to say next. They just engage mouth and let it run away with itself. Some of them must be worried that if they ever stop talking, that hole in the middle of their face will somehow heal itself up and they won't be able to use it any more.

We should be so lucky.

Sky Sports had a red button option for a couple of seasons where viewers could watch live matches with no commentary, just the crowd noise. It was sheer bliss. Unfortunately, this facility was cancelled after a couple of seasons. Methinks it must have become very popular and the commentators became miffed because fewer and fewer people were listening to them any more.

If there was any group of people in sport and / or television that I would send to Room 101, it would be football commentators.

It's much more likely the sound without commentary option was removed because it was UNpopular.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What irritates me is threads being turned into "Trivial things that annoy you on TV" when there is already such a thread lower down the first page.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What irritates me is threads being turned into "Trivial things that annoy you on TV" when there is already such a thread lower down the first page.

I am not annoyed about bad contestants on quiz show, I just expect them. Thus they are a cliché.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree, it was never even that funny in the first place.
  • Options
    WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ''Join me, on this incredible adventure...''
    ''Join me, on an incredible adventure...''
    ''This has been...SUCH, an adventure''
    ''This is a journey for me''
    ''I just feel like...I've been on a journey''
    ''This is the biggest journey for me''

...and repeat until you feel the need to cave your face in with blunt nails and fire.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be an endless supply of contestants on quiz shows that are as thick as pig sh*t or haven't heard of anything older/ that occurred more than 20 years ago.

If I wasn't so self conscious I would apply, but I wouldn't be good TV fodder.

I think Richard Osman on Pointless has banned people from saying "that was before my time" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "before my time" response on quiz shows is really annoying. Imagine if any question about Mozart/World War 1/Queen Victoria was met with this inane answer.