Software/Firmware update Foxsat HDR

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radicalrad wrote: »
    is there any sign of any new updates for this

Yes there do seem to be some signs that one is on the cards, like, there is a representative from Humax that came on this forum and confirmed they do have some engineers who are allocating time on software changes. Another is that some forum members have spoken here about being contacted by Freesat themselves to see if they want to test the new software in order to feedback on new BBC iplayer features that the engineers have added.
    Radicalrad wrote: »
    and does anyone know if we are ever likely to see stuff like being able to record stuff in the buffer and it stopping clearing the buffer when you change the channel

I doubt it radical rad. I spoke to a representative from Humax one month ago for PVRJunction and the next software update may have some bug fixes and iplayer functionality but nothing else major. There's only one of this type of recorder on freesat so for some it's the best option at the moment but I am sure there will be some PVRs released over the next 6 months that may cater for everything needed so do keep an eye out.

Humax continue to deny there will be other new features going into this next new software version. I did find that engineers have been working on one or two particular items of improvements because they received feedback from the helpdesk, and I discovered one or two of those could make it into a future software update, but only after a long testing process, (which seems certain to rule out the the iplayer software release altogether) as testing at humax is taking a long time on this one. If testing is not successful theyll get canned I think
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    OK Thanks for the info marcdavis i suppose we can only wait and pray i bought this machine as soon as it came on sale paid a premium as well i suppose and couldn't believe they had skipped stuff like this it was my first Humax bit of kit. i must say i won't be jumping in so fast next. much as i like it has what i would call some serious flaws. oh and some seriously bad customer service .. thanks again
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Edited cos I'm a total noob...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Anyone heard anything else? What is the latest estimated date?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Sadly, there is no further new on this, and I now doubt there will be until it is ready. I'm only guessing, but i get the impression that Humax have taken the decision to do a single full update including iPlayer and it appears to me that this is a couple of months away at best, though I think Jan is more likely bearing in mind the pace of it all to date.

The speculation over the past 9 months has all turned out to be false so far, and even Bob_Cat has stopped giving even speculative hints on timing for the next release. I believe he has become tired of the constant requests for info. When he has been able to provide any, it has then proven premature and he's then taken the backlash for it, so don't expect any further hints.

All the above is the main reason this topic no longer gets much bandwidth on the forum, because there is no point.

Regards

Nick
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nikodemus wrote: »
    Sadly, there is no further new on this, and I now doubt there will be until it is ready. I'm only guessing, but i get the impression that Humax have taken the decision to do a single full update including iPlayer and it appears to me that this is a couple of months away at best, though I think Jan is more likely bearing in mind the pace of it all to date.
    Your impression is wrong then ;)

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    savvy wrote: »
    Nikodemus wrote: »

Your impression is wrong then ;)

Do you have information that Humax are going to do a bug fix release before the iplayer one?

If they do I think it will go some way to restore quite a few people's confidence in them. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tern wrote: »
    Do you have information that Humax are going to do a bug fix release before the iplayer one?

If they do I think it will go some way to restore quite a few people's confidence in them. :)
    No, I was referring to the dates.

Bob is willing to bet money on 2009 in this thread.

Rgds.

Les.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    savvy wrote: »
    No, I was referring to the dates.

Bob is willing to bet money on 2009 in this thread.

That's brave of him because no matter how well a product of this complexity is alpha tested there is always the possibility that something has been overlooked that will show up in beta testing a require a great deal of work.

I'd say that indicates in the next ten weeks because I'm sure they wouldn't be daft enough to risk an update the week before Christmas or the new year.

We live in interesting times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    All I can say is... 'It's not before time' the product is not far short of being a year old.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    That's brave of him because no matter how well a product of this complexity is alpha tested there is always the possibility that something has been overlooked that will show up in beta testing a require a great deal of work.

I'd say that indicates in the next ten weeks because I'm sure they wouldn't be daft enough to risk an update the week before Christmas or the new year.

We live in interesting times.

The Freeview 9200T update came out only a week or so before xmas 2007 so I wouldn't rule out similar!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what i don't understand with regards updates, is why haven't Humax done updates in a similar fashion to Sony with the PS3,
    an update every month or so , it wouldn't take much for them to work on something specific and get it spot on, then allow the software to be released, instead of doing everything all at once which is what seems to occuring now

god help us , one morning we will all wake up and find our Freesat boxes updated :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Rich243 wrote: »
    what i don't understand with regards updates, is why haven't Humax done updates in a similar fashion to Sony with the PS3,
    an update every month or so , it wouldn't take much for them to work on something specific and get it spot on, then allow the software to be released, instead of doing everything all at once which is what seems to occuring now

god help us , one morning we will all wake up and find our Freesat boxes updated :eek:

Your suggestion is far too sensible for Humax. :):)

In the mean time we keep on checking back here for further news. I joined this forum partly to find out when there would be an update - started in February - we have had several false alerts since to maintain interest :eek:. I've been checking in almost everyday since. I really pity those who have had to wait a year for updates.

From other postings I bet we now have to wait until the end of November. :yawn:

Patrick
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    The one thing that REALLY annoys me is the being unable to delete whilst another recording is taking place. I would be happy for that alone to be fixed!

I realise that lots of other people have many other issues and requests but that is the big one for me. I do have other issues around timed recordings. It seems that I get the ends chopped off progs now and again and I believe it's when there are two other recordings due to start at the time. I would rather not have the end chopped off the thing I'm watching and would prefer to miss the start of the thing which is about to record.

Oh and a tip for the unable to delete thing in case some people don't know. I read this somewhere on these forums and use it all the time. While something is recording and you have watched something and wish to delete it you will find you can't. When you have finished crying, rename the file. I rename to something like DEL1, DEL2 and so on. Renaming a file takes it out of the series folder and puts it at the top level. When no recordings are taking place you can then nip into file manager or whatever and mark and delete all the DELx files. Hope somebody finds that useful. Having a memory like a sieve I find it invaluable!!!
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich243 wrote: »
    an update every month or so
    Sony is far richer than Humax....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »

Hmmm ...

Were there any updates for the Humax non PVR Freesat box?

If so, how many and how long did they take?
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm ...

Were there any updates for the Humax non PVR Freesat box?

If so, how many and how long did they take?

Here you go Tern though the dates aren't complete or missing

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/downloadcenter_model.aspx?category_seq=61
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »

And the PS3 is sold on a much bigger scale, and suspect the support team for the PS3 employs as many people as Humax as a company...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/downloadcenter_model.aspx?category_seq=61

So they have done SEVEN releases to improve the performance of the non PVR.

I think that demonstrates the irrelevance of the relative size of Humax to Sony as far as not releasing a single significant update to the PVR.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member

I don't know whether to consider that a positive for how few (albeit some fairly serious) problems have affected the PVR, or an indictment on the level of support (arguably, for both products) since the PVR was launched.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    It seems that I get the ends chopped off progs now and again and I believe it's when there are two other recordings due to start at the time. I would rather not have the end chopped off the thing I'm watching and would prefer to miss the start of the thing which is about to record.

That won't be a Humax issue. All that the PVR can do is work on the best information it has - the start and end times in the EPG, and any updated flags that the broadcaster may send.

I absolutely have had cases where a recording that was due to start comes in late, due to a recording already in progress.

If the broadcasters don't supply the correct information, then the recording will miss part of the programme.

One thing that the Humax could benefit from is manual prioritisation of the recordings. It's not always the case that you want the first recording to carry on at the expense of a later one. The Sky+ had a basic facility - anything marked 'keep' was prioritised over anything that wasn't. But with the Humax it's entirely out of your hands.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they have done SEVEN releases to improve the performance of the non PVR.

I think that demonstrates the irrelevance of the relative size of Humax to Sony as far as not releasing a single significant update to the PVR.

A cynic might also add that the non PVR Freesat box had competitors whereas the Humax Freesat PVR has none.... just a thought.....

GG (cynical old granny mode)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had more releases on the basic box because we had already done 90% of the work when developing that non-PVR and when it came to the PVR we had already addressed the issues. (They are the same platform).

Bob
  • Options
    pizzajohnpizzajohn Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Hi,

As a newcommer to the HDR, I search the net to discover more about the device and came across this forum.

I read with interest that a new firmware is being written and, it would seem, many are champing at the bit for its release.

However, I am unsure about the 'bugs' that have been aired in these pages. Surely, something like, not being able to delete whilst another recording is in progress, is a feature that doesn't exist, not a bug.

Is there an extensive list of bugs i.e. things that don't work as intended and a list of 'nice to have's'? And, out of these lists, what is being tackled in development.

I don't know why, but I have to admit to having a sneaking suspision that the new release will be a jaw dropper.

PJ
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pizzajohn wrote: »
    Hi,

As a newcommer to the HDR, I search the net to discover more about the device and came across this forum.

I read with interest that a new firmware is being written and, it would seem, many are champing at the bit for its release.

However, I am unsure about the 'bugs' that have been aired in these pages. Surely, something like, not being able to delete whilst another recording is in progress, is a feature that doesn't exist, not a bug.

Is there an extensive list of bugs i.e. things that don't work as intended and a list of 'nice to have's'? And, out of these lists, what is being tackled in development.

I don't know why, but I have to admit to having a sneaking suspision that the new release will be a jaw dropper.

PJ

It's not a bug in itself but deletion while recording was possible in v01 firmware which was removed in v02 due to a bug that could corrupt the file system.