The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dillan wrote: »
    Twitter was eastenders mad tonight. I'm hoping for high ratings, but I think 8-8.5million will be the highest.
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Not at all, If people are talking about it.....

EastEnders is top UK Trend and has 5 others tonight
    and one worldwide.

Im hoping for at least 8million but I feel it will fall short (Just)

BBC3 might see a nice boost but I think the officials could be pretty high
    I never trust Twitter trends for ratings. Some of the lowest rating and youngest skewing shows do well on Twitter. However I do try and gauge opinion from the comments. I was looking for comments where people were saying it was the first time they'd watched EastEnders in awhile. There were quite a few comments so I think a boost for tonight's episode is possible.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Not even 10m in the consolidated ratings?

I'm talking overnights here.

I have no idea about the consolidated as BARB split ITV ratings into SD, HD, +1, -4, left-handed viewers, viewers who've been to Greece on holiday, those who like Marmite, those who hate Marmite.....

It's too complicated to work out.

:rolleyes:
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The storyline was awful but the reveal was good. Haven't watched in ages and watched out of curiosity like I think a few viewers would have done. If the rating stays static it'll be a disappointment.
    this kind of episode is what EastEnders does best, even when its at its worst, with proper planning, it can pull this kind of thing out its back pocket and both be really good, and get good ratings.

This storyline points to this, the episodes leading up to it, and the idea of us not knowing who the affair was with, were both (if not many) poor decisions on the shows part, but the reveal was a really strong episode.

Classic EastEnders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    this kind of episode is what EastEnders does best, even when its at its worst, with proper planning, it can pull this kind of thing out its back pocket and both be really good, and get good ratings.

This storyline points to this, the episodes leading up to it, and the idea of us not knowing who the affair was with, were both (if not many) poor decisions on the shows part, but the reveal was a really strong episode.

Classic EastEnders.

Don't really watch the soaps but see a few clips here and there and know what's going on as headlines pop up on Twitter. Corrie and Emmerdale sound like they're in a rich vein of form with EastEnders lagging behind. The turnaround quality wise could start with tonight's episode
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't really watch the soaps but see a few clips here and there and no what's going on as headlines pop up on Twitter. Corrie and Emmerdale sound like they're in a rich vein of form with EastEnders lagging behind. The turnaround quality wise could start with tonight's episode
    you would like to hope, but with EE, I dont think you can say that a reveal episode being good, means anything, as (as I said above) that is what EE always has been able to, and always will be able to do well. Its basically in the shows DNA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    I'm talking overnights here.

I have no idea about the consolidated as BARB split ITV ratings into SD, HD, +1, -4, left-handed viewers, viewers who've been to Greece on holiday, those who like Marmite, those who hate Marmite.....

It's too complicated to work out.

:rolleyes:

Yes you need an equation and a code cracking machine to work it all out!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you would like to hope, but with EE, I dont think you can say that a reveal episode being good, means anything, as (as I said above) that is what EE always has been able to, and always will be able to do well. Its basically in the shows DNA.

That's true. One swallow doesn't make a Summer. Enders needs a consistent run of good episodes to turn things around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's true. One swallow doesn't make a Summer. Enders needs a consistent run of good episodes to turn things around.
    it needs for the episode leading up to a big reveal to be good, and for the reveals to not be so predictable. As good as this episode was, the reveal was not in anyway shocking.

If the show can get even a half decent acting performance out of Shane Ritchie, it can do better.
  • Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    That's a bit desperate, Dan.
    Twitter is not a good way to measure ratings as we seen from the ITV show, Take Me Out :D

Dan seems to be stuck in a time warp where Eastenders is concerned bless him.

Twitter has never reflected a shows rating and never will ever. One good episode of EE means nothing its still not must see TV anymore we hear about this nonsense of EE getting a boost near enough for months now yet we still wait.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    They need to reduce EastEnders to two episodes per week and get Simon Ashdown to write the episodes. Tonights was very good and you can tell the difference immediately when it is a quality written episode.
    One person to write the episodes?! He'll suffer from Jonathan Creek-itis, like Mr Renwick. :)

After a few years, he'll grow sick of the show and kill them all in a fire. :D
    Coronation Street is doing OK, but it should be doing a lot better. And it deserves to as it's been brilliant recently.
    I wouldn't say it's been brilliant, but it's been slightly above average to what the other soaps have been offering so far. Nearly a month or so until the Tyrone/Kirsty storyline comes full circle.
    it needs for the episode leading up to a big reveal to be good, and for the reveals to not be so predictable. As good as this episode was, the reveal was not in anyway shocking.

If the show can get even a half decent acting performance out of Shane Ritchie, it can do better.
    It needs better storylines basically. Eastenders were very good at dealing with gritty stuff but in the last few years, plots have been all over the place. Who frankly gives a toss about Kat having an affair? It's been done before and it's always, always Alfie who has to pick up the pieces.

I always feel a measure of a good storyline is the impact it has on the community. That will ultimately bring in the viewers. Probably the best one in the last decade was Richard Hillman's killing spree, which had great repercussions -- from Gail and Audrey to Ashley and Emily. Two national grid power surges: not bad.
  • Re-MinderRe-Minder Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tomorrow i think around 7m as i think Text Santa will do better this year with all its promotion Via ITV,Vodafone ,Heart Radio and ASDA. EastEnders on monday is in a perfect slot and i think it will get its highiest figure for sometime.

Two things are you willing to take me up on the ratings wager I mentioned in an earlier post and text Santa bombed last year so it will do five million at most,:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EastEnders is trending on twitter already so it's got people talking at least

Twitter is not a reliable or respectable barometer of tv viewing habits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    That's a bit desperate, Dan.

Shall we buy him a cow pie. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God please let EastEnders get 10m tonight.

I want my Ratings Thread back..... :rolleyes:

Robbies I'll win the Euromillions before EE reaches that figure again.:D

So who was the sleazy shagger shagging?
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say it's been brilliant, but it's been slightly above average to what the other soaps have been offering so far. Nearly a month or so until the Tyrone/Kirsty storyline comes full circle.

Last night's episode was excellent and in general I think it's been pretty good.

EastEnders was also very good tonight but these big episodes are nothing new, at its worst the show still managed to pull a good episode out of the bag now and again - the problem is the show now seems to focus everything on these big 'reveals' that the day-to-day stuff has been completely neglected. No point having a decent climax if the months of build-up has been tedious, repetitive garbage.

I partly blame Santer for that as that approach to storytelling was used quite heavily when he was producing. More and more storylines seem to be relying on 'explosive reveals' and it's not the way the show should be written.

Ratings-wise I'll be stunned if it's not at least above 8m tonight. Quite a few people were talking about it today so I'm expecting some sort of rise.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    Re-Minder wrote: »
    Twitter is not a reliable or respectable barometer of tv viewing habits.
    Re-read my post I said nothing about ratings AT ALL just the fact that people were talking about it on twitter

Re-Minder wrote: »
    Two things are you willing to take me up on the ratings wager I mentioned in an earlier post and text Santa bombed last year so it will do five million at most,:)
    No while I have no doubts about EastEnders doing well at xmas I will only bet £50 quid on it :D There's no point in me saying I won't talk about EastEnders because this is never going to be the case.Text santa might have bombed last year but so did strictly,X factor ect in their first series (compared to the latter years) it's had a lot of promotion and I think it's in the right slot too.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Well, considering Coronation Street didn't get anywhere near 10m for its heavily hyped episodes based around Peter and Carla's return (an excellent trailer in my humble soap-hating opinion) then no chance.
    Good luck with that ratings prediction Robbie! It won't happen. But hopefully it'll do better than in recent ?

It wasn't a prediction but sarcasm.

If it did get 10m, which it obviously won't, we might at least find something else to talk about.... :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    It wasn't a prediction but sarcasm.

If it did get 10m, which it obviously won't, we might at least find something else to talk about.... :rolleyes:

Oh dear, one would almost think you didn't have the power to exercise free will... ;)
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bits and pieces...

BBC Daytime Controller Liam Keelan is going to run Sky 1. He has been in charge of BBC Daytime since 2006. At Sky he will report to Stuart Murphy. For a channel which is more about big one off ratings for comedy, drama, imports and entertainment rather than sustained mediocrity from cheap factual, I'm not sure hiring BBC1's daytime chief makes a huge amount of sense but we'll see how it plays out.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/dec/20/liam-keelan-director-sky1

A poster on this thread has been hinting about ITV's drama commissioners leaving. To flesh it out a bit, an article appeared in Broadcast in October claiming Laura Mackie and Sally Haynes were looking to move into production (presumably backed by one of the big indies). ITV denied it and nothing has since happened. The same article claimed Company Pictures were closing in on a big name appointment and that came shortly after when they poached John Yorke from the BBC.

Mark Burnett (creator of The Apprentice) seems to be pushing for that formats replacement with The Job which has been confirmed for a spot on CBS midseason (Fridays at 8pm). Not sure if this has been picked up in the UK? Sounds Channel 4-ish.
    The Job gives candidates from around the country a chance to win positions at top companies. Each episode will feature five candidates participating in several rounds of elimination challenges before a panel of executives as they compete for their dream job. In addition to the episode’s featured company, representatives from three guest companies from related industries will have the opportunity to make an on-the-spot offer to one of the candidates, who must decide if they will accept the offer or remain in the running for the featured job.

Interested to know the nature of the 5 challenges if they're going to pack all that into 42 minutes. Can't see it being the next Apprentice anyway.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/cbs-new-reality-series-the-job-gets-friday-8-pm-slot/
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Afetr Clare Baldings huge rise in popularity this year, I now think her show Britains Brightest will get better ratings than Splash when they go head to head on Saturday nights in January.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Afetr Clare Baldings huge rise in popularity this year, I now think her show Britains Brightest will get better ratings than Splash when they go head to head on Saturday nights in January.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this end in the standard "crap on both sides" outcome for Saturday nights. So BBC1 maybe about 4.0-4.5m and ITV1 about 3.0-3.5m.

But who knows, they might capture the imagination and do better. On that side I'd give more chance to Splash of being a surprise success. But also more chance of being a total flop. Britain's Brightest just screams of being the kind of show that will plod along at a middling level.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see this end in the standard "crap on both sides" outcome for Saturday nights. So BBC1 maybe about 4.0-4.5m and ITV1 about 3.0-3.5m.

But who knows, they might capture the imagination and do better. On that side I'd give more chance to Splash of being a surprise success. But also more chance of being a total flop. Britain's Brightest just screams of being the kind of show that will plod along at a middling level.
    Just read how British version of Splash is working. First three weeks are heats. In each heat are 5 different sets of celebs, two from each heat will get through to the fourth live show which is the semi final. Then the fifth live show will be the finale.

It was a hit in Holland and has potential with the right celebs. But heres a problem: how do you make people diving into the pool exciting 25 different times in a series? With Strictly come dancing and Im a Celeb, the types of dance can be different from tango to salsa to ballroom and types of trials change from eating bugs to physical ones to underwater changes. But with diving its the same thing, a person jumping off a board, albeit at maybe different heights. How can it be made different from person to person to keep interest up for five weeks?
    Forum Member
    Just read how British version of Splash is working. First three weeks are heats. In each heat are 5 different sets of celebs, two from each heat will get through to the fourth live show which is the semi final. Then the fifth live show will be the finale.

It was a hit in Holland and has potential. But heres a problem: how do you make people diving into the pool exciting 25 different times in a series? With Strictly come dancing and Im a Celeb, the types of dance can be different from tango to salsa to ballroom and types of trials change from eating bugs to physical ones to underwater changes. But with diving its the same thing, a person jumping off a board, albeit at maybe different heights. How can it be made different from person to person to keep interest up for five weeks?

I know you're desperate for it to be a flop Sam but better to save the critique for after it actually airs.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was a hit in Holland and has potential. But heres a problem: how do you make people diving into the pool exciting 25 different times in a series? With dancing and Im a Celeb, the types of dance can be different and types of trials change. But with diving its the same thing, a person jumping off a board. How can it be made different from person to person to keep interest up?
    Quite easily - no two dives will ever be the same, especially where amatuers are concerned. Remember too in each 90 minute show probably less than 2 minutes of it will be actual live diving - the rest will be padding a plenty, so it's making that entertaining and raising the anticipation which is key.

P.S. The Radio Times and Daily Mirror have picked upon C4's stupid scheduling of The Snowman (and other shows) and how it'll hit ratings:
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-12-20/is-the-snowman-sequel-on-too-late-to-be-a-hit-with-viewers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was a hit in Holland and has potential with the right celebs. But heres a problem: how do you make people diving into the pool exciting 25 different times in a series? With Strictly come dancing and Im a Celeb, the types of dance can be different from tango to salsa to ballroom and types of trials change from eating bugs to physical ones to underwater changes. But with diving its the same thing, a person jumping off a board, albeit at maybe different heights. How can it be made different from person to person to keep interest up for five weeks?

To those uninformed about ballroom dance (most of the country) then it's all very much the same perhaps beyond "slow" and "fast". Strictly has obviously educated its audience over the years (although some will have known plenty when it started).

Same with diving, I guess. So it's all about opening up the subject to viewers. In theory you'd give them different elements to master each week. Anyone who watched the diving at the Olympics would know there's a hell of a lot more to it than jumping off the board at different heights.

I know one of the versions somewhere will bring in synchronised diving at some stage. I guess that's the kind of thing that could happen.

My issue with the show is that learning how to do a "reverse double twist and three forward spins with pike" is probably going to take a bit more than a week to master even for the most desperate celebrity. And it's not like dancing - you can't just take a crack at it even if you suck.

But we'll see how it goes. These are the kind of "long shots" I like to see being commissioned for Saturday nights. 80% chance it flops horribly but people probably said the same about I'm A Celebrity or Strictly. Either way, I'm sure its ratings will be far more interesting than middle of the road Lottery gameshows.
This discussion has been closed.