Options

Setting up a website..

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi All,

I've been selling clothes on eBay for the past year and it's turned out to be a small success. I am feeling a bit adventurous now & would like to set up my own website.

Over the past few days I've been reading online on where to start & what to do. But I have no idea. Everything might as well be written in a different language as my head can't take it all in. I've been looking at courses but I am unsure what one I should be joining.

Some sites I've clicked on look a bit dodgy – hence the reason why I’d rather make the site than trust someone else to.

If anyone could advised anything - I'd appreciate it! :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.weebly.com

Its the best, Just drag and drop, you can even set up your domain through them.:)

You can choose from different themes as well, and it allows you to set up a store.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try looking at the web sites of some of the web hosting companies. Bear in mind that these can be anywhere in the world.

As well as the actual hosting, you'll need domain registration - sometimes this is thrown in as part of package, sometimes not.

You'll need some method of creating the site. An online CMS (Content Management System) such as WordPress or Joomla is probably the best way nowadays, and for a beginner it's probably a good idea to have this software pre-installed for you as part of the package (experts can install these things themselves on the hosting server).

Then you'll need to investigate how to handle orders, and credit and debit card payments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you totheground & John, i'll try this.

How do you set up security for your website?
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People will pay a small margin for trust and if your price is barely different than ebay/amazon etc and remember you'll have to pay for setting up a domain/webhosting costs/payment provider costs etc and deal directly with the idiots as there will be no buffer between you and the great unwashed idiots of the web
  • Options
    thebtmanthebtman Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strict wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've been selling clothes on eBay for the past year and it's turned out to be a small success. I am feeling a bit adventurous now & would like to set up my own website.

Over the past few days I've been reading online on where to start & what to do. But I have no idea. Everything might as well be written in a different language as my head can't take it all in. I've been looking at courses but I am unsure what one I should be joining.

Some sites I've clicked on look a bit dodgy – hence the reason why I’d rather make the site than trust someone else to.

I can recommend Webhosting UK - been with them for 6 years.

Get a Cpanel package and then setup the Opencart software - its all included in CPanel as well as forums and various other software.

http://www.webhosting.uk.com/cpanel-hosting.php
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    tothegrand wrote: »
    http://www.weebly.com

Its the best, Just drag and drop, you can even set up your domain through them.:)

You can choose from different themes as well, and it allows you to set up a store.

There are a lot of simple website builders like Weebly.

Moonfruit isn't bad either.

Don't go anywhere near 1and1 though. Very restrictive.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    You have several options.

Set up a website using one of the free builders, weebly etc: Medium amount of time, small cost, but not a professional end product.

Build it yourself using Joomla, etc: Large amount of time, small cost. Potential for a better and more flexible end product, but steep learning curve.

Employ a professional company. Large cost (probably about 1-2k for a basic commerce site.) But you will get a professional end product which customers will enjoy using.

It sounds like you want to build it yourself, which is admirable, but website creation takes a long time to become good at, so be prepared to put the hours in. There are too many awful sites out there already.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    I'd recommend employing a web design company if you can afford it. While it's not impossible for a 'newbie' to set up an e-commerce site, doing one that looks good is a different matter. At some point in the process you'd have to find out how your ordering systems fits into your site and then put the payment gateway (you'll need a merchant account as well to be able to accept credit cards) in as well as stock checking (in the event of something selling out). You could use PayPal as your payment gateway, but even then you'd have to tinker with the webpage itself and be comfortable inserting code into the page.

The design company will also take care of implementing security certificates as well so that payment details are encrypted, as well as any other security issues related to the server and site.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    I'd recommend employing a web design company if you can afford it. While it's not impossible for a 'newbie' to set up an e-commerce site, doing one that looks good is a different matter. At some point in the process you'd have to find out how your ordering systems fits into your site and then put the payment gateway (you'll need a merchant account as well to be able to accept credit cards) in as well as stock checking (in the event of something selling out). You could use PayPal as your payment gateway, but even then you'd have to tinker with the webpage itself and be comfortable inserting code into the page.

The design company will also take care of implementing security certificates as well so that payment details are encrypted, as well as any other security issues related to the server and site.

I'd agree with this, Hire a professional if possible They'll be able to create a responsive site with rich client side operations in the user interface as well as implementing proper security and standards... something that someone who has read web design for dummies might struggle to do quite as well

Web site design is one of those jobs that amateurs feel they can take on and sometime, if they do the learning, they can come up with a decent site. But it won't be as good as someone who spent years gaining a professional qualification then gaining a lot of practical esperience. You wouldn't think of trying to fly a 747 after a single flying lesson in a cessna.... so if you can afford it, go with hiring a professional. It can make the difference between your site being okay and a really attractive, professional, functionally rich and accessible one,
  • Options
    zcraftszcrafts Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    If you are looking to host your site I know couple of provider, there support is quit helpfull to guide you with the setup and get your site active. Looking at your requirement you should search for specialize ecommerce package with SSL and IP:

you can take a look at :

http://www.Webhost.Uk.Net
    or
    http://www.Rshosting.Com

Both are UK based got personal experience with both companies from 4 to 5 years support and service is great.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I am a complete IT idiot, but I set up my website very easily using WordPress. I buy my domain name from EasySpace. Honestly, if I can do it ...
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    RegMonkey wrote: »
    I am a complete IT idiot, but I set up my website very easily using WordPress. I buy my domain name from EasySpace. Honestly, if I can do it ...

Yeah your website probably looks like one that's been set up on wordpress by a "complete IT idiot,"

Feel free to post the link and prove me wrong :)
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    RegMonkey wrote: »
    Good stuff. How did you go about processing card payments securely, stock control, reports etc? Does Wordpress do all that for you?
  • Options
    hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All,

Hello! Just to make sure you don't go too heavy, too fast; I'd recommend the following...

1) If you're happy to keep selling using eBay, then I'd keep your new website light and full of personality. Selling via your own shop system isn't easy and costs money
    2) Make sure you get an attractive website name. Nothing too long or too short. Even consider using a country code that allows it to be shorter (i.e. www.stri.ng - .ng is the Nigeria code)
    3) I would look to building your brand via a blog. Add some personal thoughts on your brand and take pretty pictures to upload and give dedicated followers a reason to keep coming back to your eBay shop. There's a new blog system called Ghost (www.tryghost.org) that will be centred around blogging and not be as complicated as Wordpress. (try to avoid Wordpress / Blogspot)
    4) Keep the website updated! Important to keep people coming in.
    5) Make sure you have a simple single e-mail address so it's easy for customers to contact you and you keep your work from personal stuff.

A website which does include an ordering system and then tied to stock control with security costs money. Even off the shelf. If you want anymore help; feel free to PM me. :)
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Good stuff. How did you go about processing card payments securely, stock control, reports etc? Does Wordpress do all that for you?

There are e-commerce plugins that do it for you on Wordpress, but it isn't cheap or easy to do.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might be a bit wet but I don't think I'd ever even click on a ".ng" website let alone actually bung my card details into it!
  • Options
    hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    I might be a bit wet but I don't think I'd ever even click on a ".ng" website let alone actually bung my card details into it!

That's because you don't understand how it works. It's a domain name. All it does is redirect a name to a number where your site is hosted (like a house number + postcode). You trust the site by the SSL security certificate. There's plenty of dodgy sites on .com and .co.uk. Makes no difference how secure it is. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi All,

I'm doing one right now for my karate club using

www.wix.com

I'm a complete dullard when it comes to things like this but this is so simple I'm really having fun with it! Its free too!

:)
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somethings to think about when choosing a host :-

Backups...will they backup your site for you so if the server its on dies you can just move over or will the answer be tough!! and don't forget how often will they do it as you may have to rebuild all your data from the last backup to what it was before it went down

Diskspace/bandwidth..how much you get, might not seem like much today but if you start flogging stuff and use video's to show the item it'll soon eat up both of them and you'll have a limit per month normally on both especially for a free host

Background databases..the choice of DB engine(s) may affect the software you can use to build your website

Support - do they have 24x7 support or just office hours and also response time to any problems you may have

Oh crap eventuality - does the data centre have battery backups/generators and if so how long do they last along with extra links out of the place to cover some numpty with a JCB outside pulling up cables by the mile

If they can answer those then you have a good idea of the service level of the company so as you can see theres a lot more to choosing a web hosting company than price and a fancy looking frontpage