There's going to be a new Poirot novel

chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
Forum Member
✭✭
Stunned.

Horrified.

Agatha Christie's grandson will stop at nothing to rake in the shekkels from his late granny.

:(

Comments

• JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    I wonder what David Suchet thinks? This is one more story for him to film after all.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this might have been a key factor in the decision-making process ...
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is writing it?:eek:

I can't believe the AC estate has sunk this low. (I don't know why I can't believe it, after seeing what they've allowed to happen to some of the TV adaptations).:(
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Crime novelist and poet Sophie Hannah will write the as-yet-untitled book, which will be published in September 2014."

Considering how Christie ended her Poirot novels, I'm not sure how on earth this is going to be accomplished. It will have to be set before 'Curtain'.
  • Fink-NottleFink-Nottle Posts: 60,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    "Crime novelist and poet Sophie Hannah will write the as-yet-untitled book, which will be published in September 2014."

Considering how Christie ended her Poirot novels, I'm not sure how on earth this is going to be accomplished. It will have to be set before 'Curtain'.

Well before: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/sep/04/hercule-poirot-agatha-christie-sophie-hannah

Sebastian Faulks is writing a Jeeves and Wooster novel, switching from Ian Fleming to PG Wodehouse!
  • sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She apparently lives in or near Cambridge as she was on local radio the other day talking about it, AC family have comissioned her, must be getting short of money apparently AC had a 4 year break from Poirot, between the Blue Train and another book, and thats where this new book will slot in, she said she is not bringing hjim back from the dead or anything.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 4yr break after Blue Train? Interesting. Thanks for that. Mind you, the Poirot continuity is a bit mental: he's retired in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (1926), but back from retirement in subsequent novels. Of course, Curtain was written in the 40s and feels like it is set there, but comes right at the end of his life ... trying to tie up Poirot continuity is not an easy task.

This is purely money-driven, and I doubt Mathew Pritchard's motives. Bearing in mind he's Agatha's only living relative and had the rights to Mousetrap signed over to him when he was a schoolboy, he cannot be short of a few bob. Some of the TV adaptations have been total abortions, so any claims to him keeping a close eye on granny's reputation must be taken with a pinch of salt.

Agaths's facebook page has a 90% negative response to this news.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I love Agatha Christie and Sophie Hannah is a fantastic writer, but I'm not sure about this. Some things are just better left alone.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I think it's a terrible idea. First the ridiculous 'Marple' adaptations, some that bore very little resemblance to the original stories, and now this. There's a reason why Agatha Christie was such a successful writer and people should just leave her work alone.