Top Up TV, will it survive past 2013?

Comments

• Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    National Geographic channel started in November 2007 so I would expect the contract to run till November 2013. May get cut short due to lack of viewers or perhaps its a technical glitch?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=701278
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see the viewer side as much of an impact as it is all part of the TV Fav. package so the whole thing should run together until they wind things down.

But you never know with TUTV. Or maybe they worked out that they would run out of programmes before they closed down and have put a hold on National Geographic programmes for a week or so. They did something similar with US Drama a while ago.

I just get ticked off as I really wanted to see the programmes about the big cats and they had two rather interesting documentary series about Germany during the rise to power of Hitler and Co. creepy group but interesting viewing all the same as all the programmes about them prove.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay have an update.

I decided to telephone TUTV on the off chance of an answer. And the very nice lady I spoke to confirmed that National Geographic should still be downloading and that I should turn off National Geographic from my choice of providers leave it off about an hour then turn it on again. She said their box at the office was downloading National Geographic okay. So I will give that a go and see what happens.

Plus Picture Box is as of this month just part of TV Favourites and is not a seperate add on so the total cost is £13.99 for the whole thing which isn't so bad considering what's left.

I will do as customer service suggested and see what happens although I'm not sure it will work as I have found that if the EPG doesn't have the programme listed to download then it won't but I'll try and see what happens. I may have to call from home when I'm infront of the box to see what's what if this doesn't work.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Okay have an update.

I decided to telephone TUTV on the off chance of an answer. And the very nice lady I spoke to confirmed that National Geographic should still be downloading and that I should turn off National Geographic from my choice of providers leave it off about an hour then turn it on again. She said their box at the office was downloading National Geographic okay. So I will give that a go and see what happens.

Plus Picture Box is as of this month just part of TV Favourites and is not a seperate add on so the total cost is £13.99 for the whole thing which isn't so bad considering what's left.

I will do as customer service suggested and see what happens although I'm not sure it will work as I have found that if the EPG doesn't have the programme listed to download then it won't but I'll try and see what happens. I may have to call from home when I'm infront of the box to see what's what if this doesn't work.

That is pretty poor value compared to other pay TV services. If you're paying for a phone line and broadband anyway and happen to be with an ISP that offers TV services than you could get a lot more for your money.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeMeMeI wrote: »
    Why should it mean the end of Freeview?

Those lucky to get Youview can get Skysports channels through TalkTalk at least..

It is just a shame that costs mean none of the main Channels could afford to turn one of their +1 channels into a sports channel..

And doubt you will ever see sport on Pick TV

Pick TV was simulcasting Sky Sports last Saturday!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a516 as I am not on the net at home and do not wish to be this is the best I can hope for due to being unable to have freesat and not wanting full pay TV as that would, for me, be an even bigger waste of money relative to what I would be watching plus we don't use the phone that much but still like to have the landline incase we need it.

Anyway as I thought the suggestion from customer service was a bust and I have a feeling that if things don't change of their own accord then I will have to assume that National Geographic is set to disappear. What a pain!
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a516 as I am not on the net at home and do not wish to be this is the best I can hope for due to being unable to have freesat and not wanting full pay TV as that would, for me, be an even bigger waste of money relative to what I would be watching plus we don't use the phone that much but still like to have the landline incase we need it.

Anyway as I thought the suggestion from customer service was a bust and I have a feeling that if things don't change of their own accord then I will have to assume that National Geographic is set to disappear. What a pain!

Ever thought of getting rid of the landline and using a mobile phone instead? A pay as you go would save you at least £12 a month in line rental. Plus ditch TUTV before it goes bust saving you £14 per month for a rubbish service. You could then put that £26 per month towards something else. If you cant get satellite and refuse to get the internet you could rent films or TV shows by old fashioned post with Love Film or even Blockbuster.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ever thought of getting rid of the landline and using a mobile phone instead? A pay as you go would save you at least £12 a month in line rental. Plus ditch TUTV before it goes bust saving you £14 per month for a rubbish service. You could then put that £26 per month towards something else. If you cant get satellite and refuse to get the internet you could rent films or TV shows by old fashioned post with Love Film or even Blockbuster.

Plus net broadband £8.49 per month lowest price: https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/
    if you want to switch your phone to:
    https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/
    If you do dont forget to mention me as a referal my user name is: lotrjw
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member

My constructive suggestion is as follows, TV Time Mike. If National Geographic is going then I'd suggest scouring your PVR EPG to see what's on on the likes of BBC2, BBC4, C4, C5, More4, 4seven, Quest, Yesterday, Dave, Community Channel and Travel Channel* for documentaries to watch live or to record for viewing later.

*I've got the full Travel Channel on satellite and some of the documentaries I've seen, e.g. on China, Antarctica, USA & Canada and Australia have been just as good as anything on the National Geographic or Discovery networks and hopefully Travel Channel will become full time on Freeview at some future stage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice folks all greatfully received.

It really doesn't bother me that much over the overall situation as all we had was five channels not so long ago and we coped so it's all the same when TUTV finally goes.

Funnily enough Television User I do just that with my tv watching at the moment it's just that National Geographic had about 12 shows over this week and next I wanted to see but hey what can you do.

Plus with my parents living with us we prefer the landline rather than having a mobile that can go walk about etc. plus I'm no real fan of the internet overall and we have a stack of films, documentaries etc at home to watch as and when it's just nice to have something new or different once in a while.

Anyway at the present time Customer Service are telling me it's some sort of fault with the system arranging the downloads for National Geographic that they are looking into.

Either they are stringing me along or there really is an issue that they have no control over. The upside is I really don't mind all that much after all the service has been rolling down to zero for while so it's just one of those things.
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,595
    Forum Member
    Can someone tell me what does Marketplace show. Is it teleshopping downloaded to TUTV PVR's or actual linear teleshopping but behind an encrypted paywall?

I guess C5 may do a deal after contract renegotiation with TUTV to thus move Marketplace to overnights and the UKTV hour slot so 5 Later can broadcast during, say 0700-0200, that is if TUTV survives!
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M60 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what does Marketplace show. Is it teleshopping downloaded to TUTV PVR's or actual linear teleshopping but behind an encrypted paywall?

I guess C5 may do a deal after contract renegotiation with TUTV to thus move Marketplace to overnights and the UKTV hour slot so 5 Later can broadcast during, say 0700-0200, that is if TUTV survives!
    Marketplace shows teleshopping & is part of freeview not part TUTV meaning it is not downloaded on to PVR's or encrypted
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,595
    Forum Member
    Marketplace shows teleshopping & is part of freeview not part TUTV meaning it is not downloaded on to PVR's or encrypted

Cheers, thought for a moment it was part of TUTV but your right, just found it on LCN 50.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The forum changes have happened everyone, Top Up TV doesn't have much future so merging with freeview makes sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I have a feeling this is the next download channel to close. No downloads scheduled for the next seven days according to VOD schedule.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clive123 wrote: »
    I have a feeling this is the next download channel to close. No downloads scheduled for the next seven days according to VOD schedule.

What freeview LCN does it use?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUTV will cease broadcasting from 30th October at midnight
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Received a letter today from Top Up TV....and I can't find it mentioned elsewhere....especially now TUTV doesn't have it's own forum.

Basically the letter says that Picturebox & TV Favourites will be available until midnight 30th October

Subscription will automatically cease. The hardware will still work after this date.

Looks like they have offers for subscribers to join Sky, but I won't be going there
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUTV will cease broadcasting from 30th October at midnight

Source? ;)

EDIT: You should have probably linked your thread - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=68598664
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what happens between 30th October and 1st November? Hallowe'en I suppose.
  • michaelalanrmichaelalanr Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    Source? ;)

Other TUTV customers are reporting getting letters stating that their subscriptions will automatically cease on the 30th of October.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=68598664#post68598664

Mike
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the day TUTV turns back into a pumpkin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Through holding back the tears I forgot there were 31 days in October sorry....ok, so no TUTV from the 31st October
  • goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will be one of the few technological losses I won't miss in the slightest! :sleep:
  • hartcliffehartcliffe Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    i still got an unused card here - lol