Options

Girl, 10, died after drug blunder at Basildon Hospital

lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
Forum Member
✭✭✭
as this is not making the main news i will post it here so more can see it.

"AN URGENT probe is underway at Basildon Hospital paediatric department after two separate drugs blunders including one being linked to the death of a ten-year-old girl.

The girl died last month after being transferred to St Mary’s Hospital in London, and it is suspected she received incorrect or out of date medicine at Basildon.

The second incident under investigation, also in October, involves a baby girl being given a wrong dose of medication"

there another local report that say two children have died due to this, i take it thats the baby.

any way why do you think this is not making the main tv news?

Comments

• Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    any way why do you think this is not making the main tv news?

Because human error occurs in every workplace including hospitals?

Because the parents have asked for privacy and it is being respected?

EDIT. Forgot one. Because perhaps being a legal issue it cannot be discussed?

I dunno. Why do you think it isn't making news?
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without wishing to sound callous, one child dying is hardly national news. Terrible things happen on a daily basis. A few months ago I was amazed to watch the 6 o'clock news in which, apparently, nothing of interest had happened that day, followed by a report on the regional news about a body having been found on the motorway and, evidently, a murderer on the loose! Go figure. :confused:

By the way OP, if you are going to indulge in a spot of armchair journalism you may wish to post your source(s). ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because human error occurs in every workplace including hospitals?

Because the parents have asked for privacy and it is being respected?

I dunno. Why do you think it isn't making news?

the problem is that this has happend time and time again in this hospital and they always seem to not make the news.

we live in fear around here in case we get ill and have to go there.

when this happens in any other hospital its make the main news.

a lot of locals have spent today sending emails to the bbc and sky trying to get them to look into it and report on it.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did the baby die out of interest OP?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without wishing to sound callous, one child dying is hardly national news. Terrible things happen on a daily basis. A few months ago I was amazed to watch the 6 o'clock news in which, apparently, nothing of interest had happened that day, followed by a report on the regional news about a body having been found on the motorway and, evidently, a murderer on the loose! Go figure. :confused:

By the way OP, if you are going to indulge in a spot of armchair journalism you may wish to post your source(s). ;)

http://www.yourthurrock.com/2012/11/08/basildon-hospital-child-death-alert/

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/10035780.Girl__10__died_after_drug_blunder_at_Basildon_Hospital/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the baby die out of interest OP?

the first report that was made this morning said the baby did die but that since has been changed but it dont say it did not die.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I read about a press blackout in one article this morning, the staff aren't allowed to discuss it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lakes wrote: »
    “A report of our inspectors’ full findings will be published in due course. We are also liaising with our partner agencies with regard to the trust and will take any appropriate action where this is deemed necessary.”
    "We are monitoring the trust very closely and carried out an unannounced inspection at the trust on Saturday, 3 November. A report of our inspectors' full findings will be published in due course." More in tomorrow's Echo.

Does that answer your question, OP? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have my own problems with this hospital anyway. going back many years but even 16 weeks ago the almost cost me a wife and a baby.

we had a midwife that it was her first day on the ward take control of the birth of my daughter, she said she had burts my wifes waters. 8 hours later and an 1 hour after i had her removed from dealing with my wife it turned out that she had not done it. my wife had gone in as a very low risk and in the doctors words "have gone to very high risk due to the midwife"

at one point things got very bad but i am not going to go into that but they are both in good health now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    “A report of our inspectors’ full findings will be published in due course. We are also liaising with our partner agencies with regard to the trust and will take any appropriate action where this is deemed necessary.”

"We are monitoring the trust very closely and carried out an unannounced inspection at the trust on Saturday, 3 November. A report of our inspectors' full findings will be published in due course." More in tomorrow's Echo.

Does that answer your question, OP? :)

no as this is the fifth time they have been there and nothing has changed, it seem as long as its not reported in the main media they dont change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were two very bizarre cases over here in the last month or so. One patient died after soup was injected into her veins, another died the same way, except with coffee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were two very bizarre cases over here in the last month or so. One patient died after soup was injected into her veins, another died the same way, except with coffee.

what!!! oh dear, that cant be by mistake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok i was just sent a pm from another site saying that the word is that the Basildon is an important conservative seat and Basildon council are the control of the media that comes out of there, it seem the hospital spokesperson and Basildon council are had in hand.

not sure about that myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no as this is the fifth time they have been there and nothing has changed, it seem as long as its not reported in the main media they dont change.
    The way I read it was that there is an investigation underway and the results will be published, at which point they may become newsworthy. It's called due process. Consider this; If the wheel that squeeks gets the grease what happens to the other wheels?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

that is shocking

"Ilda feeding was done by a probe that was on the nose. According to the family, on Sunday night (7), a nursing technique have confused during the meal and injected soup into a catheter that was in his right hand, where the patient was receiving direct remedies into a vein. "When she injected into a vein, my mother began to hit. I got scared and called the nurse, "reports David's daughter, Ana Ruth M Dean."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its made the bbc news website now.

November 2012 Last updated at 15:40 Share this pageEmail Print Share this page

ShareFacebookTwitter.Girl's drug death at Basildon Hospital leads to CQC inquiryContinue reading the main story
    Related Stories
    Hospital legionella cases action
    Bring own fans, hot patients told
    Records concern at Essex hospital

The death of a girl after a suspected drugs error at a hospital in Essex has led to an investigation by the health watchdog.

Basildon Hospital, which has informed the Care Quality Commission (CQC), said it was "looking at stock control" after the 10-year-old's death last month.

A baby girl is "recovering" after being given "an incorrect dose of medication", it added.

The hospital said it was committed to providing excellent care.

"Following two recent incidents at Basildon Hospital, where the care we delivered to children did not meet this standard, we are working with the Care Quality Commission to strengthen our paediatric services," it said.

'Unannounced inspection'

Clare Panniker, chief executive, said: "I want to ensure that every child coming to Basildon Hospital is given the best possible care.

"We are working hard to strengthen our paediatric services to make sure this is achieved."

The 10-year-old girl died after being transferred from Basildon to St Mary's in London.

No long-term damage was caused after the baby was given the wrong treatment, the hospital said.

The CQC said: "CQC is aware of the death of a 10-year-old child following treatment at Basildon University Hospital.

"The trust informed CQC about the death and of the action it had taken as a result.

"CQC is monitoring the trust very closely and carried out an unannounced inspection at the trust on 3 November."

It said a report of its inspectors' full findings would be published in due course.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-20267796
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has something changed with the management of basildon hospital in the last few years because Ive always found it to be excellent whenever I have been there (as a patient or visitor)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Has something changed with the management of basildon hospital in the last few years because Ive always found it to be excellent whenever I have been there (as a patient or visitor)

bee like it for years mate...they are just good at cover ups, when they get it wrong they get it very wrong. a friend of mone was in A&E a few weeks ago for 8 hurs before being told to go home and come back in the morning......she ended up being rushed in to have an op.........an op to fix a muck up they did a few years ago i should add.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and this one just been posted on a local media site.

"First may I say that my heart goes out to these families. Such pain that they feel cannot be imagined.
    But enough is enough. Too many such mistakes have happened in Basildon Hospital. My Dad's last hours were spent in Basildon unable to help himself with no bed clothes to cover him in a cold ward with windows open and no care available. His pleas for assistance were ignored.
    My daughter-in-law recently gave birth after an horrendous experience with a nurse who could not speak proper English and was on ward that she had not been trained for. Luckily a doctor did intervene in time and we feel lucky that mother and baby did arrive home safely. I could go on with more such horror stories - some resulting in questionable deaths.
    No more excuses! Cut-backs, lack of staff, lack of supervison what ever the cause IT MUST STOP NOW,
    Basildon Hospital in general is far below the standard that people expect and deserve. My advice is should you need medical attention do your best to avoid Basildon Hospital."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're being a little pessimistic, lakes. You seem to be focussing on anecdotal evidence as though it were representative. Things often go wrong in hospitals. Mistakes happen and people even die. Does Basildon hospital have more or less incidents than other hospitals? What's the statistical significance of these incidents? Basically what you're doing is fear mongering, which is helping nothing.

When I was in hospital there was a gentleman there who had accidentally been given the wrong bloodtype. He was okay, thankfully, as was every other patient. I certainly wouldn't go around telling people which hospital it was. It can be frightening enough for patients and their families going into hospital without people filling their heads with fears. In 99.9% of cases (a statistic I just made up!) it's far more dangerous to avoid going into hospital. Perhaps you should just let this be.

[Edit] I can understand your anger about what happened to your wife but perhaps you should try to focus on the positive and be thankful that things turned out well in the end. To err is human. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're being a little pessimistic, lakes. You seem to be focussing on anecdotal evidence as though it were representative. Things often go wrong in hospitals. Mistakes happen and people even die. Does Basildon hospital have more or less incidents than other hospitals? What's the statistical significance of these incidents? Basically what you're doing is fear mongering, which is helping nothing.

When I was in hospital there was a gentleman there who had accidentally been given the wrong bloodtype. He was okay, thankfully, as was every other patient. I certainly wouldn't go around telling people which hospital it was. It can be frightening enough for patients and their families going into hospital without people filling their heads with fears. In 99.9% of cases (a statistic I just made up!) it's far more dangerous to avoid going into hospital. Perhaps you should just let this be.

[Edit] I can understand your anger about what happened to your wife but perhaps you should try to focus on the positive and be thankful that things turned out well in the end. To err is human. :)

Basildon hospital has had more over the last 30 years than most other hospital. even things like someone walking onto a baby ward and taking a baby. a women fell out of a window when she was meant to have being looked after by a nurse., a 90 year old man was found in basildon shop with almost nothing on, he was missing from the hospital for 5 hours yet they did not know he was missing untill the police called them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girl's hospital drug death probed

has now made it onto of bbc news.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a women fell out of a window when she was meant to have being looked after by a nurse.

Seriously, got a link?

Edit: Found this which happened at Southend Hospital to a man not a woman:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, got a link?

Edit: Found this which happened at Southend Hospital to a man not a woman:confused:

going to pm you