Absolutely Disgusting

Comments

• neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Calm down dear it's only an entertainment show.
    It something that causes unnecessary distress to people.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I know its X Factor and all out for drama and ratings .But the format last night made me really uncomfortable .These were young girls and boys being used for effect and drama and I hated it .
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is humiliation TV in the spirit of the Roman amphitheatre where the Gladiators fought to the death for the entertainment of the masses. The Hunger Games comparison is a good one.

There has always been an element of humiliation in the format, it's just more cruel now. Not every good singer can be a a pop star but there are more acceptable ways of coming to that conclusion.

This programme is in termination mode.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Well, the new format has riled people and got them talking about the show, which is what the producers want!

Not only have the producers got me talking about it, they've also got me not watching from now on. I doubt they want that reaction, really.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the producers have changed it to this way because they wanted to be guaranteed of getting the best singers once bootcamp had finished.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    Not only have the producers got me talking about it, they've also got me not watching from now on. I doubt they want that reaction, really.

It depends on how many have stopped tuning in and how many have carried on watching. I don't think they'll be bothered about a miniscule amount watching something else. I suppose we'll see when the viewing figures for this show are revealed.
  • chris_latimerchris_latimer Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This new musical chairs nonsense is just cruel. it's getting hopes up of people who don't end up making it to the next round.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have to agree with most comments here - this is cruel and purely for entertainment.
  • Jessica_HambyJessica_Hamby Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch the live shows. I don't care who wins. Now the yodeller has gone I'm not sure I'll bother withjudges houses. Watching him massacre a classic everyweek would have been hilarious.

I think they need these gimmicks because they simply haven't got enough great singers for the show. If they relied on vocal ability alone for entertainment then the show wouldn't work. There are at most 10 outstanding performers in the 24 they have left so without the chairs schtick there would have been no drama at all.
  • chris_latimerchris_latimer Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch the live shows. I don't care who wins. Now the yodeller has gone I'm not sure I'll bother withjudges houses. Watching him massacre a classic everyweek would have been hilarious.

I think they need these gimmicks because they simply haven't got enough great singers for the show. If they relied on vocal ability alone for entertainment then the show wouldn't work. There are at most 10 outstanding performers in the 24 they have left so without the chairs schtick there would have been no drama at all.

The top level of talent this year is really good. but after that the rest are average.

Theres 4 exceptional acts imo (Zoe tamara abi paul) After that the rest are generic
  • jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A nasty way of choosing final six won't be watching again:mad:
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this was a thread about the show in general:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The top level of talent this year is really good. but after that the rest are average.

Theres 4 exceptional acts imo (Zoe tamara abi paul) After that the rest are generic

have to agree - cant remember their names but there's around 4 people who stood out for me. I find this stage a little tiresome so was listening to singing but not really watching that much. for the most part they were just generic voices - good but not great
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sonicmfc wrote: »
    It's far worse too because they're being publicly humiliated in front of thousands at the time, then millions later on.

It's a new low for X factor in a cheap attempt in causing some drama and I find it disgusting how we get to see the contestant so happy to get a seat then have it ripped from then in the last second and have to leave while the crowd have forgotten you already and are cheering the new contender,,,

I don't watch X Factor anymore - I read all about this on twitter at the weekend.

Such desperate pathetic attempts to boost ratings, no wonder Strictly is whipping its arse.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think the producers have changed it to this way because they wanted to be guaranteed of getting the best singers once bootcamp had finished.

Really? Did you hear the groups?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the outrage. Surely everyone knows by now that when you sign up to xf you sell your soul. We see it every year, people being blagged, manipulated, humiliated and generally messed about.

The contestants do it because they think it's easier than making it their own way, recording, gigging, writing and working etc and the possibility of being camera fodder is a price they willingly agree to pay. Maybe they don't think it will happen to them or maybe they fall for sogt soap and flannel from judges and producers or maybe having to perform leaves you open and vulnerable. Maybe it's a combination or something else that makes them do it.

Regardless, we all know what xf is about by now and so do they, so I'm not on board with the outrage.

Sometimes when I watch I fantasise about applying myself but I probably never will, partly because I don't have a good voice (and I know it) but mostly because I don't want to be used.
  • CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    This is humiliation TV in the spirit of the Roman amphitheatre where the Gladiators fought to the death for the entertainment of the masses. The Hunger Games comparison is a good one.

There has always been an element of humiliation in the format, it's just more cruel now. Not every good singer can be a a pop star but there are more acceptable ways of coming to that conclusion.

This programme is in termination mode.

A Roman amphitheatre is just what I thought it was like. The moronic audience chanting swap swap swap knowing someone was going to lose their place was repulsive.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the outrage. Surely everyone knows by now that when you sign up to xf you sell your soul. We see it every year, people being blagged, manipulated, humiliated and generally messed about.

The contestants do it because they think it's easier than making it their own way, recording, gigging, writing and working etc and the possibility of being camera fodder is a price they willingly agree to pay. Maybe they don't think it will happen to them or maybe they fall for sogt soap and flannel from judges and producers or maybe having to perform leaves you open and vulnerable. Maybe it's a combination or something else that makes them do it.

Regardless, we all know what xf is about by now and so do they, so I'm not on board with the outrage.

Sometimes when I watch I fantasise about applying myself but I probably never will, partly because I don't have a good voice (and I know it) but mostly because I don't want to be used.

I perfectly understand where you're coming from. I think the same way - you put yourself into it, you get what they throw at you, and a lot of them are fame-hungry, talentless wannabe Leona Lewis or Bryan Ferry (or whoever).

However, that six-chair business went far beyond the normal humiliation that they signed up for. Previously, once they were through to the next stage at Boot Camp, they were aware there was another selection and then Judges' Houses if they were lucky. That was all done whilst the contestants were elsewhere, though, not right in front of them on a stage in front of 4,000 people. And the crowd yelling names out for swapping?? What the hell was that for? "Swap [insert name]!!!! Booo! Swap!" How awful. Finally, as someone else said, the one eliminated has to go from absolutely terrified to the absolutely best singer ever to have been on X Factor, to "I'm sending you home" in about 3 minutes with not even a bit of appreciation.

Anyway, I'm pretty much repeating myself in here, which isn't useful, and I think all I can contribute from now on is a pitchfork-waving demonstration or something, so I'll butt out. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I perfectly understand where you're coming from. I think the same way - you put yourself into it, you get what they throw at you, and a lot of them are fame-hungry, talentless wannabe Leona Lewis or Bryan Ferry (or whoever).

I wish a contestant would come along wanting to be Bryan Ferry :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

However, that six-chair business went far beyond the normal humiliation that they signed up for. Previously, once they were through to the next stage at Boot Camp, they were aware there was another selection and then Judges' Houses if they were lucky. That was all done whilst the contestants were elsewhere, though, not right in front of them on a stage in front of 4,000 people. And the crowd yelling names out for swapping?? What the hell was that for? "Swap [insert name]!!!! Booo! Swap!" How awful. Finally, as someone else said, the one eliminated has to go from absolutely terrified to the absolutely best singer ever to have been on X Factor, to "I'm sending you home" in about 3 minutes with not even a bit of appreciation.

Anyway, I'm pretty much repeating myself in here, which isn't useful, and I think all I can contribute from now on is a pitchfork-waving demonstration or something, so I'll butt out. :D

Well at least they didn't provide the audience with rotten fruit to throw.....
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    To make anyone think they have a seat and then take it away is just wrong :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe... etc.

It's all pre-planned...
  • J05hJ05h Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are overreacting a tad.

all contestants knew that until everyone sung that the seat wasn't guaranteed.

it not the judges fault the acts were celebrating before everyone sung.

I actually like the new format because it gives other contestants added pressure to do better on the performance.

however it was obvious with the girls some would lose seat for drama as they left some of the strongest till last 2 sing.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Did they though? If the seat wasnt guaranteed until everyone had sung why do some judges sit in the seat?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Did they though? If the seat wasnt guaranteed until everyone had sung why do some judges sit in the seat?

:confused: