Is Leicester really a fitting resting place for Richard III?

Comments

• Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Quitea good showing for Westminster abbey as well I thought.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Leicester languishing on 28%.... :o
    Forum Member
    The York Minster epetition is closing soon so please sign it if you haven't already. It only takes a few moments.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/38772
  • DPSDPS Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Quitea good showing for Westminster abbey as well I thought.

Including that option is skewing the results. It's giving people the impression that Westminster is a possibility when it's not.

There are only two realistic options, and those are York and Leicester - those should be the only two options in the poll.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The York Minster epetition is closing soon so please sign it if you haven't already. It only takes a few moments.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/38772

International petition, if you're not in the UK:

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/university-of-leicester-to-return-king-richard-iii-for-ceremonial-burial-in-york
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,508
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that. I voted for the Minster but I'm open to other suitable options.

I've voted for Leicester - seeing as York don't seem to want him, and York Minster in particular don't seem interested either.

It's just a few old bones, chuck them anywhere - who really cares.

Is Leicester can make a tourist attraction out of it, good for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've voted for Leicester - seeing as York don't seem to want him, and York Minster in particular don't seem interested either.

Richard was a human being, his remains are not merely a few old bones. They're the last physical remnants of a once living person. Certainly not a tourist attraction.

That's an attitude I'll never understand, how people can be so disrespectful of the dead.

And this isn't about which city wants him or not, but about doing what is right for a former King of England. Something that's significant to the whole country, and to our history and heritage.
    Forum Member
    DPS wrote: »
    Richard was a human being, his remains are not merely a few old bones.

I beg to differ :D

Yet another reason to be a supporter of cremation.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You were right to. Your choice perfectly reflects the heartlessness and philistinism of the Leicester fatcat councillors. :)
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    You were right to. Your choice perfectly reflects the heartlessness and philistinism of the Leicester fatcat councillors. :)

I suspect 'Nigel' is Soulsby in disguise. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    I suspect 'Nigel' is Soulsby in disguise. ;)

I suspect he`s spent the last 7yrs winding up countless DS members;)
  • moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect he`s spent the last 7yrs winding up countless DS members;)

I suspect you're right - him and certain other fms who infest this thread :rolleyes:
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What have you been reading? York City Council's already been involved, as have other Yorkshire MPs, in the campaign to bring his remains back to the city. The Minster's towing the party line to avoid a conflict with their fellow CoE establishment in Leicester but there's plenty of people working in the Minster who have disagreed with the Dean, Chapter and Council's decision to "remain neutral".
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    What have you been reading? York City Council's already been involved, as have other Yorkshire MPs, in the campaign to bring his remains back to the city.

I haven't been 'reading' anything, just talking to the population of York.

The Minster's towing the party line to avoid a conflict with their fellow CoE establishment in Leicester but there's plenty of people working in the Minster who have disagreed with the Dean, Chapter and Council's decision to "remain neutral".

I would hope you meant 'toeing' the party line :p

But not at all, the Minster see no advantage in it - it would be difficult to find space to inter the remains, cost them a lot of money to do so, and they don't see as it would benefit them (or York) in any way.

Richard III hardly ever visited York, they don't have much of a claim on him, or much interest.
    Forum Member
    moondew wrote: »
    I suspect you're right - him and certain other fms who infest this thread :rolleyes:

I don't consider any regular contributor to this thread as wind-up merchants or as any kind of infestation.
    There are strong opinions on both sides, and vigorous discussion.
    Perhaps if people can't cope with being disagreed with they shouldn't log on to discussion forums.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't been 'reading' anything, just talking to the population of York.

I would hope you meant 'toeing' the party line :p

But not at all, the Minster see no advantage in it - it would be difficult to find space to inter the remains, cost them a lot of money to do so, and they don't see as it would benefit them (or York) in any way.

Richard III hardly ever visited York, they don't have much of a claim on him, or much interest.

Indeed I did :) Interesting that the people who you've spoken to in York are saying different things to those interviewed on TV and in the press around here, as well as my friends who live and work there and, interestingly enough, the majority of people who were visiting Middleham Castle today, who were nearly all in favour of his being reinterred in York.

I don't believe for a second it would be difficult to find space for the remains in York Minster, it's an enormous structure and the last time I was there, about five months ago, the huge amount of space there is actually inside the Minster is one of the things which is constantly reinforced each time I visit. They could easily fit a tomb for Richard in the Minster.
    Whether they want to or not, or rather whether the Dean, Chapter and Council want to, is a completely different issue to whether they could.

Richard visited York on a significant number of occasions, there is evidence that he was considering moving his Parliament to York, he had his son invested as Prince of Wales in York, he made plans to invest a Chantry Chapel in York, he spent the majority of his life in Yorkshire, his son is buried at Sheriff Hutton. To say York hasn't much of a claim to him is quite incorrect. Whether it has the best claim is a different argument.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't consider any regular contributor to this thread as wind-up merchants or as any kind of infestation.
    There are strong opinions on both sides, and vigorous discussion.
    Perhaps if people can't cope with being disagreed with they shouldn't log on to discussion forums.

There are ways of expressing a strong opinion without being deliberately provocative, or jumping in with a contradiction every time an fm says anything in favour of a York burial. Saying things like "I'll keep on needling then" shows us exactly what your agenda is, doesn't it.
    Forum Member
    There are ways of expressing a strong opinion without being deliberately provocative, or jumping in with a contradiction every time an fm says anything in favour of a York burial. Saying things like "I'll keep on needling then" shows us exactly what your agenda is, doesn't it.

That was a light-hearted comment to which DPS gave an equally light-hearted riposte.
    I know I hold a minority view on here but it is just an opinion with no agenda attached. I regret you felt it was inappropriate - it was meant in a jovial way.

As for 'jumping in' I think you'll find I do very little compared with what I get back. If you look at the last three pages alone I'm pounced on, getting quoted and multi-quoted more than any other FM. Doesn't bother me. It's what this place is for
    Forum Member

I find it's best to ignore certain FMs who get on your nerves. It makes DS much more enjoyable :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for 'jumping in' I think you'll find I do very little compared with what I get back. If you look at the last three pages alone I'm pounced on, getting quoted and multi-quoted more than any other FM. Doesn't bother me. It's what this place is for

It's difficult to quote anyone else when there's no-one else posting an opposing view. Most people don't bother with quoting someone they're agreeing with unless they're adding an additional bit of information.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a light-hearted comment to which DPS gave an equally light-hearted riposte.
    I know I hold a minority view on here but it is just an opinion with no agenda attached. I regret you felt it was inappropriate - it was meant in a jovial way.

No it isn't what this place is for, it's for sensible discussion. The fact that you keep getting pounced on shows that you've been winding people up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it's best to ignore certain FMs who get on your nerves. It makes DS much more enjoyable :)

You're right, as usual, Kapp. I do ignore them most of the time, but occasionally an fm is so ott that it's almost impossible to refrain from responding to them. I'll have to try harder in future ;)
    Forum Member
    No it isn't what this place is for, it's for sensible discussion. The fact that you keep getting pounced on shows that you've been winding people up.

Oh for goodness sake. I'm not the one calling any kind of diversity of opinion on here an 'infestation'.
    If you think your paltry attack is going to deter me because you want dissent-free uniformity on here then you can think again.

If I feel I disagree with a point someone makes re York minster, as a preferable site of reinterment I shall say so and explain why. That isn't 'jumping in' on someone, it's explaining a viewpoint.

Any time you feel like discussing the topic, I'll join in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    It's difficult to quote anyone else when there's no-one else posting an opposing view. Most people don't bother with quoting someone they're agreeing with unless they're adding an additional bit of information.

That's an interesting point - it would seem that most people are in favour of a York burial, as very few fms are arguing against it. It's very heartening :)
    Forum Member
    Btw was just reading the York minster statements again. An interesting position.
    At one point they say "York minster has maintained a neutral position" and at another point they said "The Chapter supports the terms of the Ministry of Justice licence and the wish of Chapter of Leicester that Richard should be reinterred in Leicester Cathedral"

Those are two contradictory statements. To support (or to oppose) something is completely incommensurate with being neutral about it.

A matter of words perhaps, but it struck me on closer reading.