Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I took my information from the slim book I read "The Man Who Hated Sherlock Holmes, etc." mentioned above. Thanks, Mona, for correcting me. I'm looking forward to your post after you view Arthur and George with MC.

I am very excited about seeing that show! The whole George Edalji case is very interesting though it seems to be a sad example of the fallacies of the British Justice system. On the good side it led to the formation of the Criminal Court of Appeals and a TV movie with MC!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took my information from the slim book I read "The Man Who Hated Sherlock Holmes, etc." mentioned above. Thanks, Mona, for correcting me. I'm looking forward to your post after you view Arthur and George with MC.

PS: If the man cannot even get right the number of SH stories ACD wrote, I might be wary of other "facts" he presented in that book.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it was known that MC would be taking the role of Arthur Conan Doyle in Arthur and George, I read the book by Julian Barnes, said book being quite wordy, but it did spark my interest in ACD to read more about this Renaissance Man. Not only did he write some 72 Sherlock Holmes stores, he was a boxer, football player, golfer, and engaged in other sports as well. He served aboard a whaler in the Artic; introduced skiing in Switzerland; set up a practice as an eye surgeon in London, served England in 3 wars, wrote historical novels, perfected the modern detective story and created the most famous detective story who ever followed a clue. The aforesaid I learned from a book "The Man Who Hated Sherlock Holmes, A Life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle" by James Playstead Wood published in 1965 which I found in the young adult section of my local library. I didn't want to read a long, lengthy book about ACD (of which there are many) but was curious to know more about him. This book is only 174 pages long.

What I am getting at is if Arthur and George is a success when it will shortly be presented on British TV, I wonder of MC would explore other scripts about ACD and entertain doing more films about his life.

I did quite like this book, and found the case fascinating. I think that Martin Clunes' cousin Jeremy Brett, who encouraged him to get into show business, himself played Sherlock Holmes in films.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In case you haven't seen it, 4Runners is adding about a chapter a day to a fanfic that follows on from the end of S6. He or she is up to chapter 35.

Also, a very intriguing story, Just a Glimpse, starts telling the story from an altogether different vantage point. Very well written, I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I did quite like this book, and found the case fascinating. I think that Martin Clunes' cousin Jeremy Brett, who encouraged him to get into show business, himself played Sherlock Holmes in films.

I'm not sure about movies, but he was in that long-running Sherlock Holmes TV series from about 1984-1994 (with breaks). Looks like about 40 episodes total. I think they were all shown on Masterpiece over here. In that regard, it does seem karmic and fitting that MC would play ACD now.
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Conan Doyle was also involved somewhat in the criminal appeal act of Scotland, enacted in the 192Os. He had championed the case of wrongly-convicted murderer Oscar Slater soon after the Edalji case. Conan Doyle published a book calling for a full pardon of Slater, but it wasn't until the establishment of the Scottish court of criminal appeals that the Slater case was finally quashed in the late 1920s. A recent book by Thomas Toughill untangles the case and Conan Doyle's involvement. I am not sure if MC would do another Conan Doyle project immediately, but this would be a way for him to continue in the role as Marchand
    suggested.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Baaaaaaaack!

We have EIGHT episodes left in the survey

This week's Competition:

S5E8 Ever After vs S6E8 Departure

I'm also asking you to rank the episodes that were eliminated in the last round.

The remaining matchups (so you can be thinking about your vote):

Week 2: S1E6 Haemophobia vs S5E1 Preserve the Romance

Week 3: S3E5 The Holly Bears a Prickle vs S6E1 Sickness & Health

Week 4: S2E8 Erotomania vs S4E8 The Wrong Goodbye

To vote in the survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hester_52 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about movies, but he was in that long-running Sherlock Holmes TV series from about 1984-1994 (with breaks). Looks like about 40 episodes total. I think they were all shown on Masterpiece over here. In that regard, it does seem karmic and fitting that MC would play ACD now.

Right, Jeremy Brett played Holmes in the Granada produced series. He was magnificent and it was his role which sucked me into the Sherlockian world. Unfortunately, after the death of his wife, Brett's bipolar disease sort of overtook him, his drugs for that disease caused him to gain massive amounts of weight, a lot of water retention, and the last shows of that series were difficult to watch. But, early on, Brett as Holmes and David Burke (then Edward Harkwicke), were perfect, I thought.
  • ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Right, Jeremy Brett played Holmes in the Granada produced series. He was magnificent and it was his role which sucked me into the Sherlockian world. Unfortunately, after the death of his wife, Brett's bipolar disease sort of overtook him, his drugs for that disease caused him to gain massive amounts of weight, a lot of water retention, and the last shows of that series were difficult to watch. But, early on, Brett as Holmes and David Burke (then Edward Harkwicke), were perfect, I thought.

Mona did you know that JB had previously played Watson in a stage production of SH?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Mona did you know that JB had previously played Watson in a stage production of SH?

I know there was no film production of him as Holmes, on TV or movies. But, that's interesting he played Watson on stage. Thanks!

Did you see it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aside from Conan Doyle, I think MC would make a great James Watson, too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know there was no film production of him as Holmes, on TV or movies. But, that's interesting he played Watson on stage. Thanks!

Did you see it?

My typo!

THAT IS, he did not play WATSON on film or TV movies. Sheesh!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just finished writing (and finished posting) a Doc Martin / Murder in Suburbia crossover. Just something about CC in two productions at once... :) I hope you enjoy it. Note: This story is rated T for teen, so no worries!

https://www.fanfiction.net/Doc-Martin-and-Murder-in-Suburbia-Crossovers/3887/5350/

Rob
  • earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    I have just finished writing (and finished posting) a Doc Martin / Murder in Suburbia crossover. Just something about CC in two productions at once... :) I hope you enjoy it. Note: This story is rated T for teen, so no worries!

https://www.fanfiction.net/Doc-Martin-and-Murder-in-Suburbia-Crossovers/3887/5350/

Rob

Rob - I followed along as you posted chapters, and thoroughly enjoyed the story. I did post a review on fanfiction, but accidentally posted as "Guest". Anyways, it was me who could so easily picture Louisa and Kate on the train :)

One question - do you write it all out ahead of time, and then just post chapters as you go? Or do you write each chapter as you post it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob - I followed along as you posted chapters, and thoroughly enjoyed the story. I did post a review on fanfiction, but accidentally posted as "Guest". Anyways, it was me who could so easily picture Louisa and Kate on the train :)

One question - do you write it all out ahead of time, and then just post chapters as you go? Or do you write each chapter as you post it?

THANK YOU for your kind words!

I did diagram the method of the deed and how the detectives would solve the case after I wrote chapter 1. Then I forged ahead from there. I wrote every day and posted each day for 26 days; about 1500 words per day on average; which was a personal challenge.

Rob
  • ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    My typo!

THAT IS, he did not play WATSON on film or TV movies. Sheesh!

No, Mona, I never saw it. The only reason I know about it is that I heard JB talk about it in an interview. He described how his stage experience as Watson informed his TV portrayal of Holmes.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, I know tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day for those of us in the US and I have always wanted to celebrate it without the intrusion of anything Christmas yet (despite what the stores are already doing.)

But I have to say I am so enjoying the clips of Nativity 3: Dude, Where's My Donkey? For those who haven't seen them, check out the video clips here: https://www.facebook.com/NativityFilm?rf=111943138831733

And yes, because MC's in it, but the actress who plays his little daughter is cute as a button, too.

Only hope to be able to see it sometime in the not too distant future when it's released on DVD.

Zarwen, it takes me back to the elementary school Christmas time concerts of the kiddies.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy Thanksgiving To All....!
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    THANK YOU for your kind words!

I did diagram the method of the deed and how the detectives would solve the case after I wrote chapter 1. Then I forged ahead from there. I wrote every day and posted each day for 26 days; about 1500 words per day on average; which was a personal challenge.

Rob

Then I am doubly impressed that you managed to keep the pacing and reveal of the plot so strong throughout. When I write (fiction, blog posts, emails, even my grocery list!), I have to go back and rewrite/edit multiple times before it's cohesive. Kudos to you on your personal challenge :)
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shall we all wish Martin Clunes a very Happy Birthday!! In our imaginations today we are all meeting outdoors at the Large Restaurant for a piece of cake (of course, low sugar content approved by the Doc himself!!) It's a nice, warm sunny day--after all --this is Portwenn.:):)
    Forum Member
    My favourite game to play is "Spot The Doc Martin Actor" and tonight we watched the 1995 version of Pride & Prejudice. Who did I see but Lucy Robinson as Mrs. Hurst! Lucy played Louisa's friend Holly in S3 :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week's episode thrown out of the surgery:

S6E8 Departure

New survey this week:

S1E6 Haemophobia vs S5E1 Preserve the Romance

Here are the standings for the eliminated episodes. I encourage you to vote on this list each week!

1 S3E6 Nowt So Queer
    2 S1E4 The Portwenn Effect
    3 S3E1 The Apple Doesn't Fall
    4 S4E2 Uneasy Lies the Head
    5 S1E1 Going Bodmin
    6 S2E6 The Family Way
    7 S5E4 Mother Knows Best
    8 S2E1 Old Dogs

Complete survey results: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyResults.html

New survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html

Episode title survey (suggestions for the eliminated episode):
    http://portwennonline.com/SurveyEpisodeTitles.html
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This post is a little off topic about DM, but in some ways similar: I receive several catalogs with British series available on dvd in the U.S. One new one which really caught my eye is from the BBC catalog: Doctor Blake Mysteries, Season 1. In some ways it is about a doctor but different in that he returns to his Australian hometown to take over his father's practice and becomes the town's chief medical officer. The actor Craig McLachland as Dr. Lucian Blake appears to be a big hunk of a man with a very sad face who is trying to hide his past. In Australia, they have just agreed to do Season Three, but Season One is only available in the U.S. at the present time (which I had to pre-order for release 1/20/15). Has anyone seen this series? There is information available on Wikipedia and some very short trailers of Season One on the internet. Sorry MC,
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This post is a little off topic about DM, but in some ways similar: I receive several catalogs with British series available on dvd in the U.S. One new one which really caught my eye is from the BBC catalog: Doctor Blake Mysteries, Season 1. In some ways it is about a doctor but different in that he returns to his Australian hometown to take over his father's practice and becomes the town's chief medical officer. The actor Craig McLachland as Dr. Lucian Blake appears to be a big hunk of a man with a very sad face who is trying to hide his past. In Australia, they have just agreed to do Season Three, but Season One is only available in the U.S. at the present time (which I had to pre-order for release 1/20/15). Has anyone seen this series? There is information available on Wikipedia and some very short trailers of Season One on the internet. Sorry MC,

Well, it certainly sounds interesting and looks interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl9Jk1wfiGs. There are a whole bunch of trailers and behind-the-scenes things on YT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week's episode thrown out of the surgery:

S5E1 Preserve the Romance

New survey this week:

I think every contest from now on is going to be incredibly difficult. This week we have to pick between the proposal and the actual wedding!

S3E5 The Holly Bears a Prickle vs S6E1 Sickness and Health

Here are the standings for the eliminated episodes. I encourage you to vote on this list each week!

1 S3E6 Nowt So Queer
    2 S1E4 The Portwenn Effect
    3 S3E1 The Apple Doesn't Fall
    4 S4E2 Uneasy Lies the Head
    5 S1E1 Going Bodmin
    6 S2E6 The Family Way
    7 S5E4 Mother Knows Best
    8 S2E1 Old Dogs

Complete survey results: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyResults.html

New survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html

Episode title survey (suggestions for the eliminated episode):
    http://portwennonline.com/SurveyEpisodeTitles.html