Mosconi Cup 2014

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    I don't know what that sentence means. I wouldn't judge someone on one shot though.

The pockets may be bigger, but the balls are also bigger and the table is smaller, meaning that there is less space to position the cue ball for the next shot. Potting is the easy part, but positional play is particularly important, especially when you always have to hit the lowest numbered ball first. In snooker you can hit any one of 15 reds then any one of 6 colours.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agreed
    getting the cueball into a usable position is pretty crucial in 9ball, otherwise you're stuffed!

and HERE WE GO on the last of four days in THE MOSCONI CUP!!!

teamEUROPE leading teamUSA by nine matches to five, and with tonights all singles matches the holders can feel pretty confident in retaining that trophy for the FIFTH straight win!

oh and i see van boening is starting he FIRST TWO matches!!!
    as when they moved the last match from yesterday of COURSE ^_^
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    van boening's having a frikking NIGHTMARE in this match!!!

good choice teamUSA in making him play twice!

this might be OVER after the second match!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and DARREN APPLETON beats a woeful SHANE van BOENING 5-2, and now they only need one more match point to retain!

teamEUROPE 10-5 teamUSA
  • MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SVB has had some shocking misses so far tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and NIKOS ECONOMOPOLOS is one rack away here!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johann is going to be sorely missed next year. He has been the turning point for this European domination over the last few years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and teamEUROPE RETAIN THE MOSCONI CUP!!!!!

winning the whole damn thing 11 matches to 5!!!!!

never looked like losing those first two matches, poor shane van boening had his worst mosconi cup, and just poor captaining putting him out there twice

EUROOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE
    EUROOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE
    EUROOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Another anti-climax.

SVB has just had a nightware of a week but not sure what you can say about the rest of the team.

I don't think that's anyway near the best Euopean team that's been out over the past few years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that's the pool game. Europe for a fifth time in a row!! Ole Ole Ole!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nice send off for johann there, getting the MVP trophy and that poster

the americans will really have to change their game for next year, because that performance was abysmal
  • AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is he standing down as captain? I see he said the same thing last year. I take it he is a top coach because the only top players from NL I know of are Feijen (who lives in Denmark now) and van den Berg. Wonder what happened to Nick and even guys like Chamat etc.

Did Sky show the Worlds this year? They used to really push it back in the day but the tournament seems to have become a lot less prominent.

OT: Are Efren and Bustamante still playing? I remember Bustamante was close to qualifying for German citizenship and thinking if he played for Team Europe, it would ignite the whole Mosconi!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZ fan wrote: »
    Why is he standing down as captain? I see he said the same thing last year. I take it he is a top coach because the only top players from NL I know of are Feijen (who lives in Denmark now) and van den Berg. Wonder what happened to Nick and even guys like Chamat etc.

Did Sky show the Worlds this year? They used to really push it back in the day but the tournament seems to have become a lot less prominent.

OT: Are Efren and Bustamante still playing? I remember Bustamante was close to qualifying for German citizenship and thinking if he played for Team Europe, it would ignite the whole Mosconi!

He said he has a few other projects on the horizon. I hope he does come back. 7 cups, 7 wins. It's an amazing record. Ortmann tried and didn't win, Lely has won one and lost one, so if Johan doesn't come back, will be interesting to see who will get picked. I'd like to see Souquet out there if he doesn't qualify.

The WCOP was shown live on Sky, but not sure that the World Masters was. Would love to see Sky pick up the US Open. They used to show womens pool too, some great players on the tour.

Reyes and Bustamante are still playing, and have been winning some recent tournaments on the tour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madsocks wrote: »
    He said he has a few other projects on the horizon. I hope he does come back. 7 cups, 7 wins. It's an amazing record. Ortmann tried and didn't win, Lely has won one and lost one, so if Johan doesn't come back, will be interesting to see who will get picked. I'd like to see Souquet out there if he doesn't qualify.

The WCOP was shown live on Sky, but not sure that the World Masters was. Would love to see Sky pick up the US Open. They used to show womens pool too, some great players on the tour.

Reyes and Bustamante are still playing, and have been winning some recent tournaments on the tour.

Sorry, it's 7 cups, 6 wins, 1 draw.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madsocks wrote: »

Thanks for the info. How could I forget..the plague from The Hague?! I preferred the World Championships to the tournaments they show sometimes from Poland etc but a lot of that is probably down to nostalgia.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,626
    Forum Member
    I was out last night so watching the re-run, SVB playing some awful shots typified by that 2 ball in the corner then snookering himself on the 3 ball.
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    and teamEUROPE RETAIN THE MOSCONI CUP!!!!!

winning the whole damn thing 11 matches to 5!!!!!

never looked like losing those first two matches, poor shane van boening had his worst mosconi cup, and just poor captaining putting him out there twice

EUROOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE
    EUROOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE
    EUROOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

Are you for real? Where are you from mate?
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simsini wrote: »
    The pockets may be bigger, but the balls are also bigger and the table is smaller, meaning that there is less space to position the cue ball for the next shot. Potting is the easy part, but positional play is particularly important, especially when you always have to hit the lowest numbered ball first. In snooker you can hit any one of 15 reds then any one of 6 colours.

With all due respect, I've barely played on a 9-ball table in my life but I could fairly easily pot all 9 balls in a row - 'run the rack' is that what it's called?

I've spent many, many hours playing snooker and my highest break is 25 if I remember correctly. I could play every day for the rest of my life and I'd never make a 147 break. The skill levels being displayed in snooker are vastly superior to those being displayed here and thankfully TV coverage reflects that so I hope prize money does as well.

It's similar to PDC darts v BDO darts, the one renders the other pointless and it shouldn't really exist at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How exactly is "qualification" for the Mosconi determined? Tournament winners, world rankings then the odd discretionary pick from Matchroom?
  • SheshatSheshat Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    That's a good question - in commentary Jim Wych said that Mark Grey was Team Europe's first pick, which seems a bit odd. It's hardly respectful to Neils Feijen, current world champ and the previous year's MVP. He may have been a Matchroom pick, to load the team with English players for the benefit of the home crowd. Just as well the rest of the team were able to carry him, I guess.

There was some mention of the US team selection which was down to the new captain (who was gracious in defeat, imho), there were 20 applicants which were whittled down to 8 who were interviewed to make the final selection. How you can pick a sports team by application/interview process is strange, and perhaps that showed in the results, even if there was a far better team spirit than last year.

I also thought SVB's playing last night was a bit suspect - he's a far better player than that; it'd be interesting to see if there was any odd betting going on.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheshat wrote: »
    That's a good question - in commentary Jim Wych said that Mark Grey was Team Europe's first pick, which seems a bit odd. It's hardly respectful to Neils Feijen, current world champ and the previous year's MVP. He may have been a Matchroom pick, to load the team with English players for the benefit of the home crowd. Just as well the rest of the team were able to carry him, I guess.

There was some mention of the US team selection which was down to the new captain (who was gracious in defeat, imho), there were 20 applicants which were whittled down to 8 who were interviewed to make the final selection. How you can pick a sports team by application/interview process is strange, and perhaps that showed in the results, even if there was a far better team spirit than last year.

I also thought SVB's playing last night was a bit suspect - he's a far better player than that; it'd be interesting to see if there was any odd betting going on.

Mark Gray was ranked European number 1 - hence how he qualified automatically. If I am being honest he was very much the weak link in the European team.

Personally I think the yanks chucked it on the 2nd day and simply wanted out of there as quickly as possible - the crowd were borderline the first 2 days and it is pretty obvious that something was said before the last session as there was a massive difference ... nobody should be playing pool in that sort of atmosphere and I can only guess they are pretty well rewarded financially for their efforts.

I don' think we will get a true reflection of the teams until this tournament reverts to a home and away format.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all due respect, I've barely played on a 9-ball table in my life but I could fairly easily pot all 9 balls in a row - 'run the rack' is that what it's called?

I've spent many, many hours playing snooker and my highest break is 25 if I remember correctly. I could play every day for the rest of my life and I'd never make a 147 break. The skill levels being displayed in snooker are vastly superior to those being displayed here and thankfully TV coverage reflects that so I hope prize money does as well.

It's similar to PDC darts v BDO darts, the one renders the other pointless and it shouldn't really exist at all.

You have got a highest break of 25 at snooker and you expect to clear the table at 9 ball!!

I think maybe you should have a couple of games first before making such stupid remarks - these guys make it look easy but the man on the street (even the half decent ones) will find it a very different proposition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it ever be worth the Mosconi trying to replicate the different kinds of challenges in the Ryder Cup with perhaps some 9-ball, some 10-ball and some straight pool in the same way you have fourballs, foursomes and singles? (I realise that they have doubles, singles and 5v5 games but it's more a question motivated by wondering if 9-ball is still as big as it was or whether it has been overtaken by other forms of pool. I remember the World 10-ball Championship being on a few years ago on Sky Sports.)

There are replays of this summer's World 9-ball Championship in Doha here: http://live.qbsf.qa/en/qbsf?token=6ce4db73d68a258a940ffaebbd939b21. I'm currently watching Efren against Boyes.

Edit: As 9-ball is so easy, I look forward to seeing all the forumites in the Mosconi team next December. I read it is due to be held in the USA.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think Sky only show the 9-ball as it's quick action, usually a lot of potting and trick shots (not really but for the casual viewer plants and doubles might seem that way).

No sure what went wrong with the world champs. It was covered by Sky, held in the UK even but then the professional body seemed to have problems and some years it wasn't organised and since it's been played in Asia it doesn't seem to get coverage.

I imagine Sky only show what Matchroom have the rights for.

I watched a tournament on Sky a year or two back. Not sure if it was 10 ball. Might have been 15 ball? Earl was in a huff again and was shouting out his shots each shot :D (it is a rule but generally not scrictly observed).

I much prefer watching 9 ball than the UK pool that they show from Blackpool.
  • Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes that's true I have played both games and snooker is on a different level in terms of difficulty however I very much doubt you could clear the table in 9 ball pool, it's easier than snooker but it's not as easy as you are making out.