The Blitz? Isn't that something to do with bombs and war?

2»

Comments

• ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Magic8Ball wrote: »
    I cannot believe that 20-somethings nowadays have such a weak grasp of basic general knowledge, which was also apparent with their vague idea's of what 'Apollo' referred to. The sad thing is, that they don't even seem to be aware of the fact have such a lack of knowledge. They probably didn't even know that the word 'Blitz' was German.

I blame the education system.

You actually mean, these 20 somethings, on an 'entertainement' show on tv...

I would say it had little to do with their age, or the education system.

I am a 20 something and know all about the blitz, apollo etc...

So who do I blame for some people being so patronising? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dix wrote: »
    They probably weren't in the War, and didn't have houses demolished, people killed, terror felt. Maybe they want to re-create that feeling with that cleaner. I wasn't in that war either, but know people who were, and one fled from falling bombs, but I suppose that doesn't matter to folk these days, as any name will do for a brand, and it doesn't hurt the dead, kind of reaction.

Well for what it's worth, next week they are in Hamburg selling crisps. In late July 1943 Hamburg had several very heavy air raids.
    It created a firestorm that killed about 42,000 people (nearly twice Dresden).

My late Dad was in the war, lost all his mates in one go one night in Normandy. Still happy to buy Mercedes. My Mum lost her brother in the RAF (flying accident).

'Blitz' would be acceptable to most people in the UK. 'Goering', would not. Context and the passage of time are what counts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Hamburg_in_World_War_II
    Forum Member
    Tercet2 wrote: »
    Well for what it's worth, next week they are in Hamburg selling crisps. In late July 1943 Hamburg had several very heavy air raids.
    It created a firestorm that killed about 45,000 people (twice Dresden).

My late Dad was in the war, lost all his mates in one go one night in Normandy. Still happy to buy Mercedes. My Mum lost her brother in the RAF (flying accident).

'Blitz' would be acceptable to most people in the UK. 'Goering', would not. Context and the passage of time are what counts.

Well the main thing is that you're still happy to buy Mercedes...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Well the main thing is that you're still happy to buy Mercedes...

Yep, he was. Even though his wounds left him partly disabled. They all had the mental scars.

On the other hand there were/still a fair number who won't buy anything Japanese.
    Forum Member
    On the other hand there were/still a fair number who won't buy anything Japanese.

So they're all xbox fanboys?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they're all xbox fanboys?

???

Their grandchilden might be.
    Forum Member
    ???

Their grandchilden might be.

Why THREE question marks?!

Old people play PS3's too you know!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why THREE question marks?!

Old people play PS3's too you know!!

cos I didn't understand your reply. This one doesn't play any, so doesn't get the reference. You get my Japanese one?
    Forum Member
    You get my Japanese one?

Yes, they won't buy anything Japanese because of the war.

I can relate because when I was five, a girl stole 12p from me, and I haven't been able to buy anything from girls since.

It's difficult when girls are selling so many great things (as are japs), but I understand their position.

May their stubburn prejudice against people behind other imaginary international borders remain in place for another 1,000 years...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, they won't buy anything Japanese because of the war.

I can relate because when I was five, a girl stole 12p from me, and I haven't been able to buy anything from girls since.

It's difficult when girls are selling so many great things (as are japs), but I understand their position.

May their stubburn prejudice against people behind other imaginary international borders remain in place for another 1,000 years...

No, it's because of what happenned to those of them that were in prisoner of war camps. It's very close to the reasons why German products don't sell well in Israel. War is one thing and most people forgive and move on. These were something else, moving on is the most some of the survivors can do.
  • DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It created a firestorm that killed about 42,000 people (nearly twice Dresden).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Hamburg_in_World_War_II

The passage of time hasn't diminished for me as I lost both my parents. My dad has been MIA since 1944, and I've spent many years searching everywhere for him, and have pinned him down to a region which can't be proved. I was a refugee for 33 years of my life before I became a British citizen, which is just part of my story. I have studied the war in full detail and continue watching anything shown, as it's part of what I am.

:)
    Forum Member
    No, it's because of what happenned to those of them that were in prisoner of war camps.

Which was a consequence of war, hence why they are called prisoner of "war" camps.
    It's very close to the reasons why German products don't sell well in Israel. War is one thing and most people forgive and move on. These were something else, moving on is the most some of the survivors can do.

I understand the reasoning, but it's this sense of national pride and boundaries etc.. that started such wars in the first place.

I mean why such pettiness over products made by Germans/ Japanese in 2010- who have nothing at all to do with WWII?

There were even people back then who had the intelligence to realise not all Germans who were actually fighting in the war were responsible for Hitlers actions. That's why you'll see a few rare pictures of allies helping germans, germans helping french soldiers etc...
    Forum Member
    I have studied the war in full detail and continue watching anything shown, as it's part of what I am.

It's ironic that some of the most disugsting things that happened, actually happened after the war (and by the allies).

Once the Russians got into Germany, they pretty much had their way with every German woman they could find.

The German women were essentially starved purposly by the allies so they would have to sell the only thing they had left.

Not all the rapes were committed by Russians either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The passage of time hasn't diminished for me as I lost both my parents. My dad has been MIA since 1944, and I've spent many years searching everywhere for him, and have pinned him down to a region which can't be proved. I was a refugee for 33 years of my life before I became a British citizen, which is just part of my story. I have studied the war in full detail and continue watching anything shown, as it's part of what I am.

I'm sorry. If you haven't already, you might try asking some of the regimental forums or their historians. The BBC has a People's History site where people posted their memories. I found an article written by another in my Dad's battalion describing that particular night. Never found that action covered in any detail before in regular histories. Best of luck finding someone who might have further info.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean why such pettiness over products made by Germans/ Japanese in 2010- who have nothing at all to do with WWII?

It's not pettiness for them! No offence, but I don't think you know the difference between how the Germans treated POW's (apart from the Russians, Poles etc) and the Japanese treated all POW's. Then we come to current German companies who used slave labour during the war. You can't judge others, they have their private reasons.

Incidently, did anyone know that the advertising agency that launched the VW Beetle in America in the 60's were all Jews? Same car that was Hitler's Peoples' Car. The ad men were well aware of the irony but still produced one of the finest campaigns ever.
    Forum Member
    It's not pettiness for them! No offence, but I don't think you know the difference between how the Germans treated POW's (apart from the Russians, Poles etc) and the Japanese treated all POW's. Then we come to current German companies who used slave labour during the war. You can't judge others, they have their private reasons.

I know how the Japs treated POWs in 1945. To still not buy products from the Japanese today is like admitting that you think all Japanese people are the same, even today.

And the current companies haven't used slave labour for decades, most of the people will have changed. It's not really the same company other than a badge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magic8Ball wrote: »
    "The Blitz, isn't that something to do with bombs and war?"

"Well to me blitz means to do something fast, to blitz it"

Jesus Wept, if these are supposed to be Britains brightest candidates, then the education system is abysmal.

Even those with the most rudimentary education should surely know that 'the Blitz' nickname was coined during WWII as a shortened version of the German phrase 'Blitzkrieg'.

And in German, Blitz Krieg means 'Lightning/Flash War' - i.e. the revolutionary new tactic employed by the Nazi's to utilise new technology in great numbers to quickly overpower an opponent and avoid getting bogged down into the stalemate situation the combatants ended up in in WWI.

I cannot believe that 20-somethings nowadays have such a weak grasp of basic general knowledge, which was also apparent with their vague idea's of what 'Apollo' referred to. The sad thing is, that they don't even seem to be aware of the fact have such a lack of knowledge. They probably didn't even know that the word 'Blitz' was German.

I blame the education system.

and apparently it only happened in London?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry. If you haven't already, you might try asking some of the regimental forums or their historians. The BBC has a People's History site where people posted their memories. I found an article written by another in my Dad's battalion describing that particular night. Never found that action covered in any detail before in regular histories. Best of luck finding someone who might have further info.

Bit difficult as my dad was on the other side, but I did email the German Archives years ago, but they couldn't find him, and asked them 3 times, using different name spellings, but they didn't know. I did my searches via online sites for years, and bought books, then tracked what I thought might be his unit across every battle field there was. The one person who became my adopted mum knew a lot of those times, and she wrote down everything re her own fight and flight from Latvia, so I had something to go on, but can't go to every battlefield in Europe to search for bones, as my health is bad. I had to stop the intensive search and moved on, but roots remain. Each time they show WW2 memory springs up.TV doesn't allow one to forget. But I was a child victim of war like many others. I was lucky in being in the British Zone. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know how the Japs treated POWs in 1945. To still not buy products from the Japanese today is like admitting that you think all Japanese people are the same, even today.

And the current companies haven't used slave labour for decades, most of the people will have changed. It's not really the same company other than a badge.

It's not that so much, as keeping faith with those friends, comrades, family, who died at their hands. Starved to death or executed, murdered. Those that have seen that, are quite understandably, likely to think rewarding in any way even the heirs of their friend's killers is something they can't do out of respect. It's still giving witness to those they lost.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ironic that some of the most disugsting things that happened, actually happened after the war (and by the allies).

Once the Russians got into Germany, they pretty much had their way with every German woman they could find.

The German women were essentially starved purposly by the allies so they would have to sell the only thing they had left.

Not all the rapes were committed by Russians either.

They showed quite a lot of that on telly some time back, and how the women threw themselves into the river. Some women gave their own stories of how they tried to hide from soldiers, but were discovered. Soldiers lust for revenge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit difficult as my dad was on the other side, but I did email the German Archives years ago, but they couldn't find him, and asked them 3 times, using different name spellings, but they didn't know. I did my searches via online sites for years, and bought books, then tracked what I thought might be his unit across every battle field there was. The one person who became my adopted mum knew a lot of those times, and she wrote down everything re her own fight and flight from Latvia, so I had something to go on, but can't go to every battlefield in Europe to search for bones, as my health is bad. I had to stop the intensive search and moved on, but roots remain. Each time they show WW2 memory springs up.TV doesn't allow one to forget. But I was a child victim of war like many others. I was lucky in being in the British Zone. :)

With so much chaos in that area it would be doublely difficult than the same for the western allies. It was a different and more defined area, but WW1 remains are notified to which ever country that soldier was from. I would think the same applies for all still being found. If you have an area, local historians might have something that state records do not. With the collapse of the Warsaw Pact, history became a much less dangerous interest. It seems like quite few are digging into what really happened now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With so much chaos in that area it would be doublely difficult than the same for the western allies. It was a different and more defined area, but WW1 remains are notified to which ever country that soldier was from. I would think the same applies for all still being found. If you have an area, local historians might have something that state records do not. With the collapse of the Warsaw Pact, history became a much less dangerous interest. It seems like quite few are digging into what really happened now.

So I believe. Years ago someone paid for my searches, as he thought it was owed to me, which was very nice of him to do. Before that time the British Red Cross said they'd help too, and did up to a point, but I couldn't go forward as they wanted info I couldn't give them as I didn't know. Which is why I did my own searches online. Did find something and had to make a decision, which wasn't easy. Once you go on then you can't turn back, and wasn't sure I wanted to cause havoc which would have happened. Unsure if I did right even now.

Thanks for your reply. :) See you in XF. :) nn xxx