Little Mix and Amelia both dissapointing chart performances with recent singles

Comments

• PJ RiverPJ River Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Exactly!! So many examples over so many years - and more recently Olly Murs, 1D, Nicki Minaj, Britney Spears, Rihanna ......

Ok so what is talent then ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little Mix - Change Your Life charted in the Top 40 after there first performance of it on Dancing On Ice, the music video hadn't even been released yet...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly!! So many examples over so many years - and more recently Olly Murs, 1D, Nicki Minaj, Britney Spears, Rihanna ......

Ok, they all may have average voices...but their main selling points are:

- Charisma/Personality
    - Photogenic/Image
    - Stage Presence (not every singer has this)
    - Uniqueness
    - Marketability
    - The ability to "act" in a music video, knowing how to "work" the camera, not every singer can do this...

These qualities are vital for any popstar, but you could be a decent singer with none of these qualities...a perfect example would be Jai McDowall (BGT Winner 2011)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I hate Rihanna, I've seen her live, she can definitely sing.
  • kieranyeah123kieranyeah123 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like Little Mix but their album hasn't been as successful as I think most thought. It's not even gone platinum yet but I don't understand why so many of their fans on here are deluded and get offended at any slight criticism of the band, even when I'm not saying it in a bad way as I like the band but 250k sold isn't exactly amazing for a winner.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like Little Mix but their album hasn't been as successful as I think most thought. It's not even gone platinum yet but I don't understand why so many of their fans on here are deluded and get offended at any slight criticism of the band, even when I'm not saying it in a bad way as I like the band but 250k sold isn't exactly amazing for a winner.

Oh, they sold 250k albums... I didn't know that, isn't it on par with Matt Cardle?
    Then again, I have never thought that he was a complete flop either, just truely underperformed, especially compared to his domination during the most voted for and viewed X factor serie.
    Little Mix seem to sell more singles than Matt though.
    But I understand why people say that they are "underperforming", I expected more albums too, probably because this forum seems to be supporting them.

I really like Wings and Change your life, but didn't like the 2cond single at all. However, I remember that the second single came out during a very competitive week, I think that it must have sold well.

What I dislike about LM is their image, or maybe their styling. I think that it's important for a girl band to not look ridiculous, and they seem to be trying too hard when it comes to outfits (I don't know how else to explain it) and have too much make up on. They are good looking girl, they don't need all that!
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member

No one's being deluded...the album should have sold more, but the girls obviously don't a huge fanbase or are failing to attract a wide audience for some reason. But they're not 'in trouble' as they recently signed a US record deal, someone in charge has faith in them (A year ago Matt Cardle parted ways with Syco/Columbia).

Although I wish CYL charted higher, it's done alright for a post album single and hasn't really dropped down the itunes chart.
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Little Mix have done too badly - CYL was never going to be a number 1 hit having been on their album which had already been released, so it did pretty well in the charts in my view. They're in a much better position than Matt was last year and Joe the year before. They've also got their American contract which will hopefully work out for them, and shows that there is belief in the industry that they can do well. Their recent contract with Live Colour XXL shows that they are still popular if they are being chosen to represent brands - they wouldn't choose a group they thought were about to flop.

I didn't even realise Amelia had a second single out so can't really comment too much, but as she hasn't yet released her album she was probably hoping for a higher chart entry.
  • MasterjonboiMasterjonboi Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1992 wrote: »
    Really? :rolleyes:

Change Your Life was a post album single which had no Single EP or seperate single. You had to buy it from the album if you wanted it.

So #12 is brilliant for it.

Did you expect it to go to #1 with 100K sales :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thats Lies. A Remix Bundle is released this weekend!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member

Are you sure about this? The official release date was long ago and they didn't release the EP then, why would they release one now?
  • rated_2000rated_2000 Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for me Little Mix do not have a star in the band, every band need at least 1 star, whether it be in terms of voice, style, star quality, personality, the X FACTOR !!!!!!! very rarely is a group is successful without a genuine star in the band,, Little Mix 2nd album will tank,, if I was cowell I wouldn't even bother doing a 2nd album, quit while your ahead
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've actually noticed that post-album singles tend to stick around longer than pre-album ones do.

Lawson and Conor Maynard are good examples of this - their first singles plummeted after top ten debuts, then after the album came out their singles climbed the charts and stuck around for a bit and then slowly fell back down.
  • wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that 250,000 isn't as much as people were expecting, for a winner that is low in terms of albums. However, I don't think it is fair to compare them to Matt Cardle, he came from one of the highest rated series with a lot of potential stars. He won most weeks in the show and had one of the highest selling winners singles. So it is no suprise 250,000 sales for him is underperforming, especially when he was cosigned to columbia. His 3 runners up are all doing better than him too which won't look good for the brand even though winning doesn't guarantee you will do better, although in theory it should as you are the one the public backed. However, Little mix came from one of the worst rated shows, only got high on the voting near the end i think, I cant remember really, had one of the lowest selling winners singles (which i believe is due to the song too, if they released dlg they would have done better.) and they have so far outperfromed all the other contestants. They have also sold well in terms of singles which helps and have over 50 million vevo views which brings in money. They also are on tour and have merchandise out and have more deals in place which bring simon money and have done well in Australia and are going to america soon, where they already sold 17,000 copies of wings with no real promo except a few online articles. Matt and joe didn't have all this, so i doubt they broke even or made syco a profit where as little mix have probably done this so i think they will be around for a while yet. Cher lloyd didn't sell much here in the UK but has sold over 2 million singles in America so I wouldn't write them off just yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are over-looking how well Little Mix have done overseas...Australia, New Zealand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna be picky nut LM have nearly sold 270k in the UK and well over 1 million singles. Otherwise, verything gcmac said in his post is true and relevant.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Misha B - she was easily the best thing to come out of the show that year.

She has done even less than Amelia and Little Mix chart wise
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Amelias song was better......should have done better TBH!!! LM has a tour going on at present.....new fans seeing them live would have wanted to support them by buying the single as a one off, surely???
  • 19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How did you know this?! lol :D
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think being released post-album is a good excuse for a song flopping. Labrinth's sixth single was released six months after the album. It still sold over 700,000 and stuck around the top ten for ten weeks.

Not that I think Change Your Life has flopped. It's done fine. I just think it's a weak song, which is why it was never going to go to number one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vash1221 wrote: »
    People are over-looking how well Little Mix have done overseas...Australia, New Zealand.

Similar market tastes to the UK - and really only Wings sold well as a single and the album sold a few copies. DNA flopped.
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    kryskrys wrote: »
    I don't think being released post-album is a good excuse for a song flopping. Labrinth's sixth single was released six months after the album. It still sold over 700,000 and stuck around the top ten for ten weeks.

Not that I think Change Your Life has flopped. It's done fine. I just think it's a weak song, which is why it was never going to go to number one.

Beneath Your Beautiful became a smash for a number of reasons.
    1. Timing - his previous single Treatment released in spring/summer flopped completely due to zero promo/lack of airplay, but BYB had a stronger campaign and released in the 4th quarter where sales are generally higher.
    2. The song - a ballad with Emeli Sande (who sells bucket loads) topped with an XF performance...a guaranteed hit imo. Also showed a different side to him as an artist...it had mass crossover appeal (R1 and R2 playlisted).

You're right, I'm a fan and didn't expect CYL to be a hit...because it's not instant like Wings and doesn't have crossover appeal. Turn Your Face would gave been top 5 imo (look at the success of Clown, Stay...just raw vocals with piano)... The wrong single choice imo.

And I know some posters on here who think they're a complete flop who have no hope as a group, but they're still getting an international push and signed to major label. Syco (and Modest) could have dropped them by now if they weren't happy...see the last 2 winners.
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    Similar market tastes to the UK - and really only Wings sold well as a single and the album sold a few copies. DNA flopped.

Wings sold well because they actually promoted it over there, DNA was just sort of thrown out with no promo whatsoever. Considering the pretty much non-existent level of investment for Little Mix in Australia/New Zealand I'm sure their label are pretty happy with the sales. Little Mix were never going to be huuuge sellers, all this talk about them being the female 1D is so overly optimistic, but the sales for album one and the related singles were all solid, decently recieved by critics and provided a decent platform to build on for album 2.
  • OMGItsAnnieOMGItsAnnie Posts: 2,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3rd singles never do well because they are after the album when everyone has the song already, so no the CYL sales AREN'T disappointing they were probably what the label expected. if I remember rightly 1d and cher lloyd 3rd singles in 2011 didn't chart any higher? and are they flops? no.

Amelia lily on the other hand, that's quite disappointing sales for before the album even comes out and it's not promising. i blame it on the lack of promotion, and she obviusly isn't signed to any major label.
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member

Amelia lily on the other hand, that's quite disappointing sales for before the album even comes out and it's not promising. i blame it on the lack of promotion, and she obviusly isn't signed to any major label.

Amelia is on Xenomania, so she's technically signed to a Sony label.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Amelia seems to have started her European promotional tour :)