Ch. 61 from Waltham Transmitter.

alicia.calicia.c Posts: 6
Forum Member
Hi everyone!

I wonder if anyone can help me with a Freeview question I have? We have a bedroom TV connected to an old roof aerial and are in the Waltham transmitter region. We have Sky downstairs, so the aerial is connnected directly into the bedroom television. We are able to get all channels except the BBC ones despite retuning. When selecting BBC 1, BBC 2 etc, the picture and sound constantly break up, making viewing these channels impossible.

In the TV diagnostics page (TV is an LG M227WD), there are five channels:

Ch 29, Signal Strenth 68%, Signal Quality 100%
Ch 54, Signal Strenth 70%, Signal Quality 100%
Ch 56, Signal Strenth 70%, Signal Quality 100%
Ch 57, Signal Strenth 64%, Signal Quality 100%
Ch 61, Signal Strenth 51%, Signal Quality 1%

From my online research, Channel 61 is BBC A and the signal is obviously weak, although I'm not quite sure why if all others are OK. Also from the Waltham transmitter, BBC A has a power output of 50KW, which is greater than the 25KW of other channels, but yet we're still having problems receiving BBC A. I think it may be because BBC A is on a high frequency or perhaps we're receiving some interference on that frequency. I understand from the Waltham Transmitter Wikipedia page that BBC A will be moved to Channel 49 in May. So my question is, will this move solve my problem? Or am I wasting time waiting for a switch which likely will not solve the problem and I need to pay an engineer to replace the old aerial? And by old I'm talking at least 15 years, but it seems to work great for all other channels!

Look forward to any replies.

Thanks very much!

Alicia. x

Comments

• fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had to have a new aerial after Sudbury power up.
    Pre DSO all cahhenls were OK but when they put a mux on channel 60 it would not work even being 100KW.
    Since changing the aerial the mux now comes in fine here.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waltham used to be a C/D area, so the aerial should be tailor made for UHF 61. I suspect there' s another explanation for this problem.

I'd wait for the frequency move if I were you and see what happens.
  • alicia.calicia.c Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies! Yes I was leaning towards waiting until May for the changeover, saving me about £100 for a new aerial with installation. But I wanted just to confirm my logic - that because BBC A will move from 61 to 49, I should with my current aerial get a greater signal strength for BBC A because 29 and 54 are OK and 49 falls in between them. Although to a professional that might be some twisted logic, so I thought it better to ask someone in the know!

What is a C/D area?

Thanks!

Alicia. x
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alicia.c wrote: »
    What is a C/D area?
    Aerials are designed to work over specific channel ranges and each range is described as a group. One of the groups is called C/D so an area where such an aerial is ideal is called a C/D area.

There Is more about the groups here.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, 61 is the strongest here by far (the only one my TV card can get with the supplied aerial) - however the highest frequencies get attenuated most (i.e. signal strength reduced) when going down cables - especially if it's got water in it.

It's worth double checking the cable hasn't been damaged (crushed in a door, plug coming loose) as that may be reducing the signal strength too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting. I've started haveing problems from Tacolneston on channel 62 (the HD channels). I can't help but wonder if there's some 4G testing going on, which could cause problems as 4G is the reason Waltham and Tacolneston are having retunes in May
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,770
    Forum Member
    Looking at your signal strengths I would say it isnt a C/D aerial, I would expect 29 to be weaker, its the weakest one on mine. Having said that it will probably be just fine after the channel move.
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth going over cables and connections, ensuring they are made off properly, undamaged (no kinks) and firmly inserted. Try different fly-leads if they are used. Ensure any hdmi leads are well away from the aerial leads - perhaps even try disconnecting the hdmi leads from both devices to see if it helps.

The May change will probably help. BUT this issue may be the first sign of damage to the aerial / aerial cable / aerial connections due to the weather and UV light.

I doubt there is any testing of 4G frequencies as no licenses have been awarded yet. The ch62 issue in Norfolk will be to do with the receiving aerial/cables etc.,. (or water/damage affecting top channel first).
    Forum Member
    Thank you everyone for your kind replies. I have checked the cable and connection on the inside and what I can see of the cable on the outside of the house. All looks fine, but cannot say if there's a problem with the aerial or the cabling on the roof because I cannot see it from ground level.

I'll probably wait for the May changeover and see how that goes. But I'll bear in mind that the aerial (and perhaps cabling too) probably needs changing sometime in the future due to its unsuitability for Freeview in this region and possible weather wearing.

Once the May changeover happens, will that be it? In other words, will the channels ever change again, perhaps back to the higher numbers, 61 and the like? I understand no one can never say never, but I guess they won't change again unless absolutely necessary due to the inconvenience it causes to everyone having to retune.

Thanks!

Alicia. x
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for your kind replies. I have checked the cable and connection on the inside and what I can see of the cable on the outside of the house. All looks fine, but cannot say if there's a problem with the aerial or the cabling on the roof because I cannot see it from ground level.

I'll probably wait for the May changeover and see how that goes. But I'll bear in mind that the aerial (and perhaps cabling too) probably needs changing sometime in the future due to its unsuitability for Freeview in this region and possible weather wearing.

Once the May changeover happens, will that be it? In other words, will the channels ever change again, perhaps back to the higher numbers, 61 and the like? I understand no one can never say never, but I guess they won't change again unless absolutely necessary due to the inconvenience it causes to everyone having to retune.

Thanks!

Alicia. x

There certainly won't be any move back above 60, as that part of the band is being cleared so that 4G can occupy the vacated spectrum. It is possible that there will be a further clearance in a few years from now (2018 or thereabouts) which - if it happens - would certainly affect Waltham as it's the channels in the 50s that would be cleared, with all TV going to lower frequencies, but that might well be fine in your case as you're picking up ch29 OK. However I wouldn't start worrying about that just yet!
    Forum Member
    Thanks Spot! Certainly not worried about the changes to come in 2018 - that's thinking too far ahead. I presume there's a reason why in the Waltham May change, they don't change all channels to lower frequencies in one go to vacate the fifties. Does having the channels too close together cause some sort of interference?

Cheers!

Alicia. x
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    Thanks Spot! Certainly not worried about the changes to come in 2018 - that's thinking too far ahead. I presume there's a reason why in the Waltham May change, they don't change all channels to lower frequencies in one go to vacate the fifties.

Because of the 'band plan' - there aren't load's of spare frequencies to move to, it's a question of 'trying' to find a channel that won't cause too much interference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does having the channels too close together cause some sort of interference?

Cheers!

Alicia. x

Seemingly not with DVB-T and DVB T2 signals: here on Dover PSB1 is on 50, PSB2's on 51, PSB 3 (HD) 53, COM 4 is on 55, COM 5 59 and COM 6 48 - so we're in the C/D range.