Options

New Software & EPG

Comments

• Options
    OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member
    Mine was offline again, I'd left it on BBC 3 overnight. I'll assume that when they shut down transmission the box decided that the "wise" thing to do would be to put the drive into standby, despite auto-rewind being turned on. The missing element to the fix is to leave the drive on a 24 hour chanel then not in use.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi Guys,

Been lurking in this thread a few days thought I'd add my name to the ever growing list of people that have problems. I have a Pace V2 with a 250Gb drive. Since the latest updates the planner hangs. At the moment I'm leaving the box on all the time (on BBC1 at night) so far it's been ok for the past couple of days.

Here's hoping Sky come out with a proper fix soon.

Gav.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    As stated in a previous post, (many pages back now), I've had the same problem since last Thursday...

...until this morning, when a very nice and helpful, but not very knowledgable, service engineer called and swapped out my venerable old V2 box for a V3 (UGH!).

He proffessed to know nothing about firmware issues, but was quite taken aback when I told him I'd tried all the Sky remedies; firmware update, total reset, put the box in the fridge overnight (just kidding on the last one).

He was genuinely surprised I knew the SECRET 4, 0, 1, select procedure.

Surely it must be the most widely known "secret" in the TV Sat world!

The story has an unhappy ending though, I've had to pull the plug four times today on the "new" box because of lockups. I feel a bit of a pratt, I should have kept my old box and bought an original 40GB HDD off ebay to see me through the next few days/weeks until Sky sorts this out (Saw one going for 9 quid last night!!!)

Anyway, one problem solved and another problem aquired... sigh...

Good luck guys.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    I took out the upgraded HD in my Pace PVR 2 as it never worked properly following the summer 07 software upgrade, the one that puts the box in standby after midnight. The drive kept freezing playback lockups etc etc. Eight months on and I have never suffered any issues (other than size) since going back to the old 40 gig drive. Bottom line Sky aren't interested in customers who are using non standard approved Sky kit - they as much as said this to me when I complained to them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As stated in a previous post, (many pages back now), I've had the same problem since last Thursday...

...until this morning, when a very nice and helpful, but not very knowledgable, service engineer called and swapped out my venerable old V2 box for a V3 (UGH!).

He proffessed to know nothing about firmware issues, but was quite taken aback when I told him I'd tried all the Sky remedies; firmware update, total reset, put the box in the fridge overnight (just kidding on the last one).

He was genuinely surprised I knew the SECRET 4, 0, 1, select procedure.

Surely it must be the most widely known "secret" in the TV Sat world!

The story has an unhappy ending though, I've had to pull the plug four times today on the "new" box because of lockups. I feel a bit of a pratt, I should have kept my old box and bought an original 40GB HDD off ebay to see me through the next few days/weeks until Sky sorts this out (Saw one going for 9 quid last night!!!)

Anyway, one problem solved and another problem aquired... sigh...

Good luck guys.

As someone else said, I'd have refused to let them take my box - it's mine. It's not like they can refurb the PVR2s as they can't put Anytime on them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Bottom line Sky aren't interested in customers who are using non standard approved Sky kit - they as much as said this to me when I complained to them.

I think they'd be concerned if those people who are paying their subscriptions start to cancel their contracts. Especially if they have multiple boxes, subscriptions, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wizross wrote: »
    As someone else said, I'd have refused to let them take my box - it's mine. It's not like they can refurb the PVR2s as they can't put Anytime on them.

Yeah, I know.

I did try to get him to leave it, but he point blank refused (very politely).

I even tried offering him to pay for it, asking how much was a knackered old sky box worth to him, but he said it wasn't up to him. He just worked for the service company and had to log an old box in against a new issue one. If he issued a new box and didn't return with an old one he would be "in the 'do do' with his manager"

He did fill in some forms and stick labels on the old unit, so I suppose he was telling the truth about having to return it.

The only upside is, I had taken out my useful Maxtor 120GB HDD and substituted it with a rather buggered old 20GB WD unit which had been propping up my PC desk for about two years...!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Staggie wrote: »
    Erm, sounds OK (ish) but the 5% is around 200,000 customers! If only 25% of that 200,000 cancelled, SKY would be losing a huge wad of money each month. Say average £20 would equal a million quid a month.
    and if 150000 agree to a repair/engineer visit that's almost £10 million that is alot of money earned from skys own mistake
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I know.

I did try to get him to leave it, but he point blank refused (very politely).

I even tried offering him to pay for it, asking how much was a knackered old sky box worth to him, but he said it wasn't up to him. He just worked for the service company and had to log an old box in against a new issue one. If he issued a new box and didn't return with an old one he would be "in the 'do do' with his manager"

He did fill in some forms and stick labels on the old unit, so I suppose he was telling the truth about having to return it.

The only upside is, I had taken out my useful Maxtor 120GB HDD and substituted it with a rather buggered old 20GB WD unit which had been propping up my PC desk for about two years...!

when you bought sky+ whatever you paid was a fee plus installation. That fee was for the box. That box is/was YOURS. He had no right to take that box. Ask a solicitor.
  • Options
    chewstickchewstick Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimlfc wrote: »
    when you bought sky+ whatever you paid was a fee plus installation. That fee was for the box. That box is/was YOURS. He had no right to take that box. Ask a solicitor.

whisper it but my mate put a 250gb disc in his old sky plus box, he had problems with his box for ages, Sky decided to resolve the issue and came and changed the box, my mate had already disonnected it to the surprise of the engineer...lol He said to me the previous night, i want my drive out but haven't got another to put in. I didn't know what to suggest... Imagine my surprise when he told me the following night that sky had picked up a box minus a hard drive...lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Just got in from work and decided to watch a bit of recorded tv and the box went off. I thought that the other half had rolled onto the other remote in the bedroom and the eye had picked it up and turned the box off
    OH NO!!! We have had a ROLLBACK!!!!
    All working now as before.
    Pace V2
    Samsung SpinPoint V120CE HA250JC from 2 years ago
    Model No is now 6.001
    EPG Version 5.04.d
    :cool::cool::cool::D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Same here, box rebooted itself, now back to EPG 5.04.d
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I concur!

Box updated itself just a few mins ago - been working late so had TV on in background - box went into standby. When I bought it back out of standby the disk spun up as it used to before...

Version numbers I have are now...

Model: 6.001
    Version: 9F2101
    EPG: 5.04.d

Put it into standby and after 20/30 seconds disc spun down properly and when bringing box back out of standby the disk spins up again properly and planner can be accessed, so looks like Sky did get something sorted at least!

-Wills :) (now going to sleep)
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine just went off, glad I didn't touch anything.:eek:

Hope my planner works again.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine still won't record, planner wiped even after this rollback.

What a **** up!:mad:
  • Options
    johnashjohnash Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Yes. Box in standby this morning (a very cold and very wet one here in Spain, by the way).

Fan quiet. Planner working. Congratulations to Sky for acting relatively swiftly.

My numbers are now
    Pace
    9F2107
    1.31B06
    5.04.d
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overnight, my box went into stand-by, despite Auto Standby being set to OFF.
    Planner functions all work !
    NOW
    Previous
    9F2122
    9F2122
    1.31B06
    1.31B07
    5.04.d
    5.04.e
  • Options
    katiekatie Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here. Just noticed the box was in standby (despite auto-standby and rewind switched off the last week following excellent advice on this thread) after having been on and working just fine since last week's workaround fix.

Checked in here, saw people had updates and me too:

Now
    Previous
    6.001 6.2.03
    9F2105 9F2105
    1.31B06 1.31B07
    5.04.d 5.04.e

Fan noise is also much quieter than it has been for the last week.

Pressed the sky button on the remote to bring it out of standby, all ok and no issues in the planner.

So looking at the version numbers - is it a rollback?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    WELL DONE SKY :):):):):):):)

Pace
    6.2.03 --> 6.0001
    9F2103
    1.31B07 --> 1.31B06
    5.04.e --> 5.04d

Fan is OFF now I think, very quiet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    yep mine workin now fingers crossed
    pre
    now

hopefuly this will be the end of the problems please sky leave it alone now!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Whoopy dooo! All back to normal again. Thank you sky

Regards
    scoop:)
  • Options
    kevlaw86kevlaw86 Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I concur it seems to work for me with rollback:) Well done Sky. Puplic opinion can make changes it seems:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Same here - software rolled back and everything working normally again.

Thank you Sky for listening to your customers!

Ben.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Me too. Found box on standby this morning but it started up fine:

Pace
    6.2.03 --> 6.001
    9F2103
    1.31B07 --> 1.31B06
    5.04.e --> 5.04d
  • Options
    johnashjohnash Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Can I suggest that those of us who emailed jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com now email again to say "thank you"?

I think it's only fair to pass on praise when due and not just complaints.