Options

So angry - kitten related

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A work mate's cat gave birth to a kitten on tuesday, for 2 days there was no sign of any more yet she could "sorta feel something in there" when she examined the cat .. early hours of the morning on the 3rd day the cat gave birth to two badly deformed kittens (already dead).

The one surviving kitten and the cat finally taken to the vet this morning where she claims the vet "had to put the kitten down" (this is all on fbook) when asked why she said the mummy had no milk and it was starving, she could have hand reared it the vet said but as she has a baby (1yr old) and a job decided she couldnt ... FUMING!!!!

My friend is a vet nurse and has hand reared numerous kittens - this work mate is saying the Vet advised her to have the kitten put down but surely this isnt right??? I'm sorry for the rant but i am so angry right now

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Unless it was too sick to live a normal life then it would be kinder.

Responsible owners do not let their kittens have babies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not only did we tell her to have the cat spayed when she got her but we told her to take her to the vets when only one kitten came out on Tuesday - she claimed to have no money and needed to feed her daughter. Thing is she only works 3 days a week and is off from today till Tuesday , surely there would have been a point to her TRYING to hand rear the kitten at least. I don't think the Vet said that to her at all, i think she's lying - would a vet put a kitten down though if the owner asked??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a shame but I would not want to hand rear a kitten if I had a small child. I could see a vet telling her it was kinder to have it put down than waiting till it died.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she has a mother who doesnt work, and a father. she has a self employed fiancee and she also has about 10 cat lovers at work all of whom would have taken the job on even if it were just for the weekend to give the little blighter a chance in life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    she has a mother who doesnt work, and a father. she has a self employed fiancee and she also has about 10 cat lovers at work all of whom would have taken the job on even if it were just for the weekend to give the little blighter a chance in life.

But its a long term thing a weekend would not be any good, its something that has to be done all day and all night every couple of hours..... Maybe she could have taken it to a cat rescue as they have people willing to do this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i firmly believe she could have done something .. i'm just venting sorry guys. Just looking for details on what she could have done really
  • Options
    michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What she should have done is ensure her cat didn't fall pregnant in the first place. I firmly believe that if you aren't able or willing to deal with all the potential implications of your pets giving birth then you should get them neutered and take every step until then to ensure they don't fall pregnant.

I don't know what the circumstances for the kitten were, so I don't want to judge her on that..maybe there were other health problems involved? But I'm disgusted that she didn't contact the vet knowing that the Mum potentially had kittens left inside her.

I sincerely hope she will get the cat neutered ASAP.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Newborn kittens need up to ten feeds in 24 hours, it needs enormous dedication and commitment. I've handreared from 4 weeks but younger than that is fairly epic.

The woman in this case is completely irresponsible, lets her cat get pregnant and then doesn't take it to the vet when it goes wrong - no way is she going to handrear a kitten.

I just hope she has the cat spayed now. What a horrible experience for the poor cat.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When maisey her kittens i didnt know there was another one. She had it 26hrs later sadly it was still born. My OH gave it mouth to mouth rubbed her chest and gave it every chance but sadly she had already gone, the baby was perfectley formed like she had just gone too sleep. I had only phonned the vets up a couple of hours before and she was due to go in that morning she wasnt eating and she wasnt behaving right. She is alright now and her babies are nearly 4wks old and both have got homes. I can understand missing a kitten but not to try and help the surviving one. Maybe it might not have been able to be saved but ever living thing deserves a chance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    littleweed wrote: »
    Its a shame but I would not want to hand rear a kitten if I had a small child. I could see a vet telling her it was kinder to have it put down than waiting till it died.

If you get a animal and you LET it have young then tough you should be prepared to hand rear .If you are not prepared to hand rear then get the Animal Nuetered .
    I just hate irresponsible pet owners :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suec wrote: »
    If you get a animal and you LET it have young then tough you should be prepared to hand rear .If you are not prepared to hand rear then get the Animal Nuetered .
    I just hate irresponsible pet owners :mad:

Keep your pants on! Anyone who lets their cat have unwanted kittens is not going to hand rear anything , now are they?
  • Options
    AWESOM-O 4000AWESOM-O 4000 Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but what does this have to do with you?
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Did she actually stay and see it being put to sleep? It's all down to the vet's discretion. My mate's a vet nurse, she hand rears the healthy ones who are signed over to the surgery for euthanasia. Then finds them good homes. ;)
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    i firmly believe she could have done something .. i'm just venting sorry guys. Just looking for details on what she could have done really

Why, it's not going to change anything is it? The little one probably had a very unrealistic chance of survival. Sometimes, just occasionally, pts isn't the worst option an animal can face.

Your workmate needs to get this cat spayed asap, but sometimes, despite trying our utmost hardest, we can try until we are blue in the face to get someone to do the right thing, but ultimately it is her cat and her choice unfortunately. :(