Options

Never Mind The Buzzcocks - Series 24, Thurdsday 10pm BBC2

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The wost one ever, I gave up during the first identity parade.
    They need people that can actually present without squinting at the autocue.

This show needs to pick up FAST!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show has become really quite bad.
    But hey presto, for some reason, another mediocre series will be commissioned. Maybe it's very cheap to produce.
  • Options
    StardogStardog Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't as bad as the previous episodes in the series, but was still pretty bad.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What annoyed me is they gave her lines about decidedly british things which she probably had no idea what they were. Ndubz and Blue for example.

Same here. Obviously Juliette was just reading the autocue, but it ruins the realism of her making jokes if they're about people she wouldn't even know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    So tired of Jupitus and Fielding laughing falsely to try and resuscitate jokes that land DOA. The BBC just needs to put the show on hiatus until they can hire some decent team captains and a permanent host. It's a complete waste of time now. Switched off after 10 mins.
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Same here. Obviously Juliette was just reading the autocue, but it ruins the realism of her making jokes if they're about people she wouldn't even know.
    Why wouldn't she know who Blue were? She's been gigging over here for years.

I didn't think it was that bad last night - gimme her and Vic Reeves over Lee "no jokes" Mack, any day of the week.
  • Options
    CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nate1970 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't she know who Blue were? She's been gigging over here for years.

I didn't think it was that bad last night - gimme her and Vic Reeves over Lee "no jokes" Mack, any day of the week.

You aren't suggesting Vic Reeves has jokes? I thought he just ran around with props suited for amateur dramatics then a fawning audience fell about laughing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that was edition was embarrasing! and I had no idea who the host was.
  • Options
    super-saintsuper-saint Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I am gonna be different & say that i quite enjoyed last nights show :eek: Loved Vic & Noel with their surreal jokes...OK Juliet Lewis was a bizarre choice of host but there has been far far worse this season...Westwood, Ronson spring to mind
  • Options
    rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They jumped the shark when Jedward were on:eek:, that finally did it for me!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Well, that was edition was embarrasing! and I had no idea who the host was.

Juliette Lewis is a Hollywood film star who's starred in movies such as Natural Born Killers, From Dusk Till Dawn, and Cape Fear. She then basically gave up on the movies to focus on her music, and has had a little success with that. I like her in her movies, but she was the worst guest host yet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vic Reeves cant pull off the randomness like Noel Fielding can.

What was Juliette Lewis on? More than just booze or is she always like that?.
    If you watch it back and look at the eyes and the movement of her eyes and eyebrows its a female version of Jimmy Carr

Final thought... Is it just me or is Nick Grimshaw looking more and more like Pat Sharp. (that's who I thought it was to start with)

Love buzzcocks but that was an odd episode.
  • Options
    CombatHamsterCombatHamster Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like the random lines that Vic and Noel just come out with, and being a fan of Shooting Stars, and TMB, it must just be the style of their comedy.

Kimberley Wyatt is just stunning and that all that matters,

Juliette was a pointless host and must owe some serious bucks to the US taxman,

Phil should have been replaced 5-6 years ago.

The show is dying on its knees

Agree with everything you said. Unlike HIGNFY, Buzzcocks really can't carry on with this guest-host format, especially when most of the choices are completely wrong. I like Noel, but he's not enough to carry the show, and Phill is completely useless these days and has made it clear for some time that he's only turning up for the pay-cheque.

For me the two best eps this series were Jack Dee's and Lee Mack's, and it's not a coincidence they both happen to be experienced comedians. They really need someone like that to take over permanently, or I can't see this show lasting. It's a shame, because with the right mix of host and team captains this show still has legs, but the choices they're making at the moment are mostly just baffling.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to Josh Groban next week. And we've got Robert Webb and Frankie Boyle after that (the latter ought to be... interesting, to say the least).
  • Options
    StardogStardog Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nidave wrote: »
    You must be 12 years old. Reeves is 10x funnier than Fielding will ever be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    You aren't suggesting Vic Reeves has jokes? I thought he just ran around with props suited for amateur dramatics then a fawning audience fell about laughing.

Well everyone's humour is different, so although I agree with you, I understand that people will think the opposite.

Personally I find Noel Fielding, Vic Reeves and even Russell Brands humour infantile at best and by that I mean it just reminds me of Kids trying to be funny by spouting random sentences, I mean if they were conjuring humorous images with their word play then that would be good but just randomly saying unfunny things just doesn't do it for me comedy-wise, Reeves was even worse with his false teeth. I think I have actually seen kids do that same thing and think it is the most hilarious thing in the world.

But then other people will think this humour is hilarious, so it is horses for courses basically.

But I think I could cope with Noel Fielding as a captain if they had a full time comic host - unless that host was Vic Reeves or Russell Brand of course.

But I do hope they do something to jump start the show soon otherwise it will be unbearable.
  • Options
    super-saintsuper-saint Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nidave wrote: »

:D Without Vic there would be no Noel !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stardog wrote: »
    You must be 12 years old. Reeves is 10x funnier than Fielding will ever be.

I am 30 but mentally... probably a bit younger :)
    :D Without Vic there would be no Noel !

I can see where the influences are but I think it feels like Vic sometimes tries too hard.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Well I never thought I' say this about NMTB because I've been a huge fan since day 1 and don't think I've ever missed one, but that was bloody awful. vic Reeves (again I've been a huge fan since Big Night Out circa 92-ish) was really unfunny (there's only so many times you can resort to comedy teeth, usually none) and Juliette Lewis- WTF!!!

Hope it gets better!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Personally I find Noel Fielding, Vic Reeves and even Russell Brands humour infantile at best and by that I mean it just reminds me of Kids trying to be funny by spouting random sentences, I mean if they were conjuring humorous images with their word play then that would be good but just randomly saying unfunny things just doesn't do it for me comedy-wise, Reeves was even worse with his false teeth. I think I have actually seen kids do that same thing and think it is the most hilarious thing in the world.
    Yeah, it's basically surreal humour, Bill Bailey is like that in a way but relies on other aspects too. Noel Fielding was probably the closest they could find. It's a divisive form of humour, you only have to ask people what they think about Napoleon Dynamite to see an example.
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Checked it out for the first time since Simon left, Juliette Lewis must have been on some kind of drug.
  • Options
    Sierra-OscarSierra-Oscar Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't been able to finish the last 2 episodes, switched off half way each time. Looking forward to the Groban one though :)
  • Options
    juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    I quite like the random lines that Vic and Noel just come out with, and being a fan of Shooting Stars, and TMB, it must just be the style of their comedy.

Kimberley Wyatt is just stunning and that all that matters,

Juliette was a pointless host and must owe some serious bucks to the US taxman,

Phil should have been replaced 5-6 years ago.
    The show is dying on its knees

He is a waste of space.

in fact a space thief actually, he has no internal thought process or original thought. he just rolls his eyes and pretents to be articulate. Fat waste of space.

Like the Kid who doesnt actually "get it ? "

Heard him on the radio News Quiz recently and they basically shut him up half way through whatever he said as it was neither relevant or witty( i.e. his trade mark extended imagination rant of a situation ...:yawn: )

Shut out by genuine wit Loved it.:D
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    Having said that, I'm looking forward to Josh Groban next week. And we've got Robert Webb and Frankie Boyle after that (the latter ought to be... interesting, to say the least).

If they even show Frankie's - might "disappear" like Russell Brand's one............;)
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    If they even show Frankie's - might "disappear" like Russell Brand's one............;)

Or as Frankie said last time he was a guest host "You've been watching, I imagine a very heavily edited version of Never Mind The Buzzcocks"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    MalUK wrote: »
    Yeah, it's basically surreal humour, Bill Bailey is like that in a way but relies on other aspects too. Noel Fielding was probably the closest they could find. It's a divisive form of humour, you only have to ask people what they think about Napoleon Dynamite to see an example.

I understand what surreal humour is, I just think that both Noel and Vic are missing the all too important humour part.

Incidentally I enjoyed Napoleon Dynamite and have all the DVDs by Bill Bailey, so what does that say about me?