Options

Ruth Jones's Christmas Cracker

Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
Forum Member
Is anyone else watching this pile of crap? it is unbelievably awful. :eek:

I only watched it because I saw that Miranda Hart was in it, but even she looked embarrassed. It went downhill from when Will Young made his appearance, and he and Jones smarmed insincerely over each other.

The last straw was when the vile Gervais creature came on. I gave up and muted the sound. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    It really is bad isnt it? I'm watching it for that reason, just to see how bad it can get.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now shes trying to sing again, this truly is awful.
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    first time I've agreed with Gervais....dont sing ruth! Why o why is she singing again?:eek::mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Ruth and everything, but she really isn't made for chat show presenting.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    It really is bad isnt it? I'm watching it for that reason, just to see how bad it can get.

You are very brave! :D

What about that singing group! I thought that they were kidding at first, or had just won the ugliest male group contest! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She on next in HIGNFY, has she died or something?lol
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    I thought it was mildly entertaining, something nice and light.
    I was a bit confused at first as to whether it was meant to be a serious show, or some sort of parody.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    It's almost exactly the same as the similarly awful Rob Brydon chat show, probably made by the same producers.

The kind of thing Steve Coogan was taking the piss out of in the early 90s.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't get it. I couldn't get over the fact she is NOTHING like Ness. She's like a personality-free morning television presenter. Not remotely funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was complete rubbish. To whoever was responsible for commissioning it, please do not commission a series! Just because Gavin & Stacey was successful, why do people think that her and James Corden (actors & writers) can suddenly become presenters and comedians. They can't!
  • Options
    Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Proof again that the Beeb have too much airtime with not enough quality programmes . They could easily do without BBC3 or BBC4 . Much of the good stuff on 4 would have been on 2 a few years ago instead of this turkey .
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    I watched it (for my sins) and I cringed.

Pile of poo.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least her chum James Corden wasn't on it. What a pile of you-know-what!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it too early for the worst christmas TV programme of 2010/11. Simply awful.
  • Options
    Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    It's almost exactly the same as the similarly awful Rob Brydon chat show, probably made by the same producers.

"I want Fanny" lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxz2cRYnZoA :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    Ricky Gervais looked genuinely embarrassed at the end. He had his hand over his face in a non-ironic way.
  • Options
    crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    AcerBen wrote: »
    I didn't get it. I couldn't get over the fact she is NOTHING like Ness. She's like a personality-free morning television presenter. Not remotely funny.

Agree.

It seems she's had some elocution lessons and what with the weight loss, all the character's gone out of her. It was exactly like breakfast TV, slightly cringeworthy. She's obviously decided to try and edge into the mainstream - a misguided choice IMO.

I watched it for Miranda and after that it was dooooowwn hill rapidly, couldn't bear it by the time Will wosisname started with the singing turned over.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It contained Gervais so the chances of it being good plunged immediately.
  • Options
    fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Will Young, hated everything else!
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    I used to love Ruth Jones. Or maybe I just loved Ness and got the margin blurred.

I agree she seems to have changed - been through the Celebrity Homogeniser and lost all her sparkle on the way. :(
  • Options
    johnson293johnson293 Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »

Never watched the Rob Brydon one, but started watching this last night...... we managed just after Miranda Hart came on before switching over.

It all just felt very fake, and I said to the missus, I couldn't tell if it was meant to be a chat show, or comedy show.. and as the highlighted bit above, it seemed very 'Alan Partridge' but without the humour!!

Hopefully it was just a one off.
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was bad, Ruth is a very good character actor, but she is no presenter.

However Gervais was a complete nob, an awful man with a hugely inflated ego that is out of proportion to his success. He got lucky, once, and is living on past successes.

Yet the irony is that he has to go on mediocre chat shows like this to promote his DVD, hmmm.
  • Options
    DeludoDeludo Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    At least her chum James Corden wasn't on it. What a pile of you-know-what!

He was her guest on last years show, along with Joanna Page.
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Proof again that the Beeb have too much airtime with not enough quality programmes . They could easily do without BBC3 or BBC4 . Much of the good stuff on 4 would have been on 2 a few years ago instead of this turkey .

Agree with you to an extent about 4 but 3? No. The stuff on there would not fit in with another BBC channel. I can tell you that with certainty, being right in the middle of the target age range for BBC Three.
  • Options
    Sierra-OscarSierra-Oscar Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fairy_ wrote: »
    Loved Will Young, hated everything else!

Ditto - and Miranda's P&P bit :D (Loff Colin :D )

FFW'd through Ricky because I can't stand him.

Last Christmas was funny :)