Options

Soham - A Parents Tale (Friday 3 August ITV1 9pm)

Comments

• Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I said an accessory After the fact.

She was cleared of this by a jury who heard all the evidence.

It's because of people like you that she needs lifetime anonymity.
  • Options
    strangerstillstrangerstill Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    She was cleared of this by a jury who heard all the evidence.

And we all know juries are infallible.

It's because of people like you that she needs lifetime anonymity.

By people like me you mean people who don't agree with you?
    I am posting my opinion.
    You are being deeply insulting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am posting my opinion.

No, people like you who behave in a reactionary manner when discussing Maxine Carr. She has to be protected because of your attitude towards her, which is based on media myth not actual fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am posting my opinion.
    Citadel wrote: »
    No, people like you who behave in a reactionary manner when discussing Maxine Carr. She has to be protected because of your attitude towards her, which is based on media myth not actual fact.

Exactly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Citadel wrote: »

What is reactionary in my manner, I am posting thoughts about something that I have been pondering (studying is too strong a word) for ten years. This program brought it to my thoughts again.
    I have said nothing inflammotory or reactionary.
    But this is how you and Tweacle are behaving.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Generally evidence of guilt is needed - not just an opinion or a personal dislike for an individual.

Also in your original post you stated "I feel sick to the stomach by the fact that Guilty Maxine Carr is still alive and free"...care to explain ?

The point is she WAS charged & found guilty of perverting the course of justice & she served time in prison. However due to the tabloid inspired ignorance of certain people in this country this is not enough. Your statement about her still being alive is very much in keeping with that tabloid mentality & the reason why she has a new identity...to protect her from these moral upstanding citizens' blood lust.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Generally evidence of guilt is needed - not just an opinion or a personal dislike for an individual.

Also in your original post you stated "I feel sick to the stomach by the fact that Guilty Maxine Carr is still alive and free"...care to explain ?

The point is she WAS charged & found guilty of perverting the course of justice & she served time in prison. However due to the tabloid inspired ignorance of certain people in this country this is not enough. Your statement about her still being alive is very much in keeping with that tabloid mentality & the reason why she has a new identity...to protect her from these moral upstanding citizens' blood lust.

This part of my statement may have been misunderstood (my fault) it was meant to be in contrast to the fact that the innocent girls are dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What is reactionary in my manner, I am posting thoughts about something that I have been pondering (studying is too strong a word) for ten years. This program brought it to my thoughts again.
    I have said nothing inflammotory or reactionary.
    But this is how you and Tweacle are behaving.

I'm afraid that you're the one that is enraged and baffled by something that isn't even true. Maybe you do need to study the case more because you're not aware of the facts ten years later? Personally, I read everything I could about the case - including the trial transcripts - so I could make up my own mind and ignore the tabloid nonsense painting Maxine Carr as the new Myra Hindley. She's not. Your anger needs to be directed elsewhere.

Spot on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In that same quote you also said:
    Why she was not charged and found guilty with being an accessory after the fact instead of just perverting the course of justice continues to baffle and enrage me.

Something you don't even know enrages you? That is why you should never know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry but I can see why there is hostility towards Maxine Carr. What she did was unforgivable in my opinion, and I can see why some people have a problem with the fact that she is free to roam the streets again. I just think her sentencing was too light, and the fact that 10 years later she is out of prison is horrible. I really hope she never forgets the pain and hurt she caused.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This part of my statement may have been misunderstood (my fault) it was meant to be in contrast to the fact that the innocent girls are dead.

Fair enough if it was poorly worded.

You are just stating opinion though, unless you actually have concrete evidence she knew exactly what crime had been committed ?

I'm sure if there was evidence of that the charges you mentioned would have been brought. As it is there obviously wasn't enough evidence for the jury to convict her of "Assisting an Offender" let alone the harsher charge you talk of.
  • Options
    Jules_BaxterJules_Baxter Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IrishChick wrote: »
    Sorry but I can see why there is hostility towards Maxine Carr. What she did was unforgivable in my opinion, and I can see why some people have a problem with the fact that she is free to roam the streets again. I just think her sentencing was too light, and the fact that 10 years later she is out of prison is horrible. I really hope she never forgets the pain and hurt she caused.

Ian Huntley did the deed not Maxine Carr - do you not think that once she found out what he had done that she might just have been frightened for her own life! I know I would have been! You can't judge when you have never been in the situation that she was to find herself living under the same roof as a maniac who had just done the most terrifying and heinous crime!
  • Options
    Forum Member

I try to think of it this way. Yes, she lied but what harm did that lie actually do? Did it throw the police off the scent? Maybe initially (however Ian Huntley certainly raised enough suspicion on his own - master criminal he is not) - but nothing that would have found the girls any quicker. Did she destroy evidence? Well, from what I've read, she did everything in the house and her cleaning was almost at OCD levels so, returning from a weekend away and finding the house like a pigsty, she cleaned up like a maniac like I probably would have done - part out of anger for having to come home and do it and part out of the need to clean. Did she know? Possibly but the jury didn't believe so and, at the end of the day, the right person was caught and convicted and will probably spend the rest of his life in prison.

I firmly believe the girls were killed in an act of temper by Ian Huntley. He'd arranged a date for that night, as Maxine Carr was away in Grimsby, which had fallen through and he'd just had an argument on the phone with Maxine Carr about her going out that night which he wasn't happy about (and rightly so as she was photographed kissing someone else) and then the girls turned up at the house asking for her....:(

She has to live with that every day of her life - that because of her those girls were at the house - and I don't think you need to be in a prison to feel that kind of guilt.
  • Options
    jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    A heartbreaking programme, but surely I can't be the only one sad that her dad came over as so very rehearsed? I've lost a child, not through these circumstances, so I know the absolute pain it causes. Holly's mum was so sweet and a couple of words from her made far more effect on me than any of her husband's.

Since you've raised the point, I felt the same. It was also strange to hear him speak of "my daughter" in his wife's presence. I can see why others might not get on with him.

Nevertheless he is doing his best under terrible circumstances and I hope they all find peace of mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian Huntley did the deed not Maxine Carr - do you not think that once she found out what he had done that she might just have been frightened for her own life! I know I would have been! You can't judge when you have never been in the situation that she was to find herself living under the same roof as a maniac who had just done the most terrifying and heinous crime!

If she had gone to the police they would have given her protection if she had told them the truth, and not lied I have no sympathy for her
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the criticism of Kevin Wells is a bit uncalled for, how anyone couldn't be moved by his recollection of lying on his daughter's bed and sobbing baffles me :confused:.

He explained himself about how the loss of a child is worse for a mother - he's obviously been strong for his wife.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted - wrong thread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If she had gone to the police they would have given her protection if she had told them the truth, and not lied I have no sympathy for her

There is a novel by Jack Ketchum titled "The Girl Next Door" based/inspired by the murder of a girl named Sylvia Likens in the 1960s that explores the themes of personal responsibility, culpability & guilt.

The world is not black & white - it is different shades of grey.

BTW - Yes it was made into a movie & no it's not the Elisha Cuthbert one.
  • Options
    BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://codshit.com/wells-chapman.htm

I have stumbled upon this article entitled "Who really murdered Holly & Jessica" - the evidence against Huntley was overwhelming but if there is any truth in this article it is scary to think other such deviants may have been temporarily living undetected near innocent families in Soham!

I have just watched Soham 10 years on and found out that Huntley & Carr had done runner to Scunthorpe where I live after he'd raped kids in Grimsby! I had no idea they had lived here and in such circumstances! It makes my hair stand on end and everytime I go past the flat on West Street where they lived I will now always think of what he ran away from to live there and what he went on to do! :-(

This one also: http://www.justjustice.org/

Does get you thinking, but I still think he did it in the end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member

I agree with this. Goodness knows how the families cope with knowing that Maxine Carr helped cover up the murders of their daughters.
    It's a hard to think that she was cleaning the blood off the walls in the flat to assist Huntley in an effort to help him get away with murder.
    What girlfriend would go to that lengths for their man? She was not locked up by him and treated like a slave.
    She willingly helped him that's what I don't understand about her.
    So she is free to live her life outside prison with the added protection of a different name. She served her time.and we have to respect the law.
    I do hope that she is a reformed character now and never forgets those little girls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    It's a hard to think that she was cleaning the blood off the walls in the flat to assist Huntley in an effort to help him get away with murder.

Where is the proof of that?

To my knowledge, there is no evidence to support that at all as no trace of either girl was found in the house (not a flat)

It would appear to be yet more ludicrous speculation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Where is the proof of that?

To my knowledge, there is no evidence to support that at all as no trace of either girl was found in the house (not a flat)

It would appear to be yet more ludicrous speculation.

I thought this was reported at the time when the police visited the house. If i am wrong then I apologise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought this was reported at the time when the police visited the house. If i am wrong then I apologise.

Many things were reported at the time however many of those things were not actually true. Just look at who was in charge of certain tabloid papers at that time & then consider who is currently awaiting trial in the phone hacking scandal.

That other website mentioned is quite an interesting read given the number of young girls who disappeared around 2000-2002.
  • Options
    Forum Member

No, there was absolutely no evidence of that and it's only speculation that she helped him clean up. She did clean obsessively anyway and she returned from a weekend away to find that Huntley had done nothing as usual except put the sheets in the washing machine - she thought he'd had another woman there - so she cleaned her house.

But this is the danger and why Maxine Carr has lifetime anonimity. People read or hear what's said in the media and believe it as gospel. I remember the press frenzy when they were both arrested and some of the stuff that was reported was just utter nonsense and I believe the PCC stepped in and told them to stop as it was on the verge of prejudicing any trial.

I take a big interest in real life crime anyway and, where I can, I follow court proceedings (many local newspapers now run live updates via their website or through Twitter) so I can form my own judgement based on the evidence that's presented in court because that's what matters. It's certainly not people coming forward and insinuating that because he told an ex-girlfriend he was a diabetic and then she saw him eat a cheesecake, Ian Huntley must be a double child murderer :rolleyes: Yes, I honestly remember reading that at the time of their arrest.
  • Options
    BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, there was absolutely no evidence of that and it's only speculation that she helped him clean up. She did clean obsessively anyway and she returned from a weekend away to find that Huntley had done nothing as usual except put the sheets in the washing machine - she thought he'd had another woman there - so she cleaned her house.

But this is the danger and why Maxine Carr has lifetime anonimity. People read or hear what's said in the media and believe it as gospel. I remember the press frenzy when they were both arrested and some of the stuff that was reported was just utter nonsense and I believe the PCC stepped in and told them to stop as it was on the verge of prejudicing any trial.

I take a big interest in real life crime anyway and, where I can, I follow court proceedings (many local newspapers now run live updates via their website or through Twitter) so I can form my own judgement based on the evidence that's presented in court because that's what matters. It's certainly not people coming forward and insinuating that because he told an ex-girlfriend he was a diabetic and then she saw him eat a cheesecake, Ian Huntley must be a double child murderer :rolleyes: Yes, I honestly remember reading that at the time of their arrest.

Remember that Joanna Yeates case the girl who got murdered on her way back from Tesco or something. The police arrested her landlord and the Sun newspaper was saying all sorts about the landlord, really making it out that he did it, in the end he was released without charge and ended up suing them for a large fee, I imagine other people have not been so lucky!