Popularity - do you chase it (online or offline)? would you like it (ie as a celeb)?

2»

Comments

• christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    Neither? :)

Naff off :mad:
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very popular on another forum, it's abit too witty for my liking tbf, but each to their own, hey ho :)

But DS is the place to be imo. A wide range of subjects/sub forums etc....

Popularity wise (on DS) yeah, i get noticed :cool::D
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naff off :mad:

No. I only take orders from Ms PopularoNices :mad:
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's nice to be liked and feel people take your opinions seriously.

In real life that is, online I couldn't care less to be honest.

Online, anyone can pretend to be whatever they like, and having the chance to stop, think and type up something is very different to a face to face conversation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »

Online, anyone can pretend to be whatever they like, and having the chance to stop, think and type up something is very different to a face to face conversation.

If you 'couldn't care less' why post here, there, any where? :confused:
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    I'm very popular on another forum, it's abit too witty for my liking tbf, but each to their own, hey ho :)

But DS is the place to be imo. A wide range of subjects/sub forums etc....

Popularity wise (on DS) yeah, i get noticed :cool::D

Wow!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I'm in the presence of someone special.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I'm in the presence of someone special.:D

Really? Wow!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Who are you in the 'presences' of?
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's sad times when you're invisible online as well... That's the lowest of the low. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    It's sad times when you're invisible online as well... That's the lowest of the low. :cry:

http://i.imgur.com/R6qrD.gif

:cry:
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like to be liked, yes.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    I don't chase popularity or even actually want to be centre of attention because I'm quite shy, although back in the daze I used to be fairly well known for my rants when I was under the influence. It basically started through conversations I used to be having with my best mate when we all used to pile around to someone's house after going out. These conversations would usually just be between the two of us, but I ended up usually doing some demonstration of something I'd seen or some really lame impression of someone or something. This generally attracted other people's attention (although admittedly I was oblivious to this at the time), and before I knew it I was performing some sort of bizarre stand up comedy routine with everyone interacting. It became an almost standard feature of Saturday nights. The most notorious came to be the "Smacky Dance/Evil Moths" one which was just an observation of parents in supermarkets when their kids are playing up and my irrational fear of moths. I was unfortunate at the time because my mum actually saw it and after that she'd more or less draw me into a conversation about it at any parties or any gathering, which would end up with around a one hour routine that varied as to whatever else was going on in the news at the time. Most people found it funny and a few suggested that I had a go on the stand up comedy circuit, but to be in front of a lot of people that I don't know would scare me something stupid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you 'couldn't care less' why post here, there, any where? :confused:

I said I couldn't care less if people like me, or take my opinions seriously, online.

Not that I don't enjoy posting here or anything.

But I suspect you knew that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »

Well you aren't. I just really laughed at your posts on the "where are you from" thread. :p

Lol, famalams. Bro.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    smacky moths sounds like the uncomfortable p*ssed up.ramblings of someone who has a habit of getting too drunk and thinking they are hilarious. there are lots of variations of this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't want to go out of my way to make people dislike me, but I don't go to great lengths to be popular either. I'm just me. But I do work with people who always have to be the centre of attention, and seeing them in action just makes me cringe.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boom 'someones just' shaked the room :p

That'd be you then lol
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kittiara wrote: »
    I'm pretty similar. Offline I am very shy and withdrawn. I hate being the centre of attention. I would definitely not enjoy being a celebrity, because I am very insecure and just the thought of finding pictures of me in the Daily Mail or what not, going on about how I have gained a pound or lost a pound... eek! Not for me.

Online I seek the attention a lot more. I haven't sought recognition here on DS, but on another website I made it to moderator (which is very difficult to achieve there), and on a game I used to play I was well-known. The strange thing is that once I have achieved all that attention and recognition, it overwhelms me and then I withdraw again :confused:. I think it's more to do with striving to be the best in a certain field, than wanting to be popular, now that I think about it.

Congratulations :) I applied to be a mod elsewhere but was told they were too worried I couldn't take it and would take things to heart, so I didn't get it (im kinda glad of that in the long run but anyway),

Yeah I guess it can be a case of wanting to be recognised and acknowledged than being popular in a competitive sense I suppose. I think I chase it more online than offline because obviously im alot more shy offline but offline I feel your negative points are alot more obvious, like how you look and how you sound (I'm not great at conversations, can pause mid-sentence, go blank etc.). Sometimes I don't talk enough but other times I find it hard to butt in without sounding rude. I kind of give up on being popular 'offline' - im not the type. I think I'd seem pushy etc. if I tried to be the centre of attention. Infact I feel fairly sure I'd make an ass of myself if I was like that, its better to stay fairly quiet, wait for others to engage with me and just sit and observe, I suppose.
    Bex_123 wrote: »

I'm the other way around. I feel its much easier to open up and be more real when im online as im not as worried about being judged on appearance, body language and things like that. I feel somehow like im more 'real' online than when I'm offline as offline I have my guard up alot more and tend to stay alot more quiet. When im online, I have time to sit and ponder about how best to reply to a subject or otherwise how to express myself, so what I say comes across as close to how I feel as I can, if that makes any sense(?) maybe I need to work on that still :o
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Yeah, you're right, it is more complicated. And yeah, of course it's nicer if people like you, because you have to have a much thicker skin than I do to not care at all. But there's a level where you do have to think "do these people like me because I'm a good person, or do they like me because I'm a dick?" Which is gonna be different for everyone; most people are a dick sometimes and a good person sometimes, right?

Hehe... I guess that's how you figure out what "friendship" is... that's people who recognise when you're a dick, but like you in spite of, rather than because of it!

But there are definitely people who you know you're doing something right if they dislike you for it, even though that dislike isn't a nice thing to recognise.

I think, anyway. Mind you, I've had a fair bit of booze this evening...

Great post stoatie and I agree 100%, especially the BIB.