Options

Time for some "Britishness" to be displayed...

Comments

• Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    Why do you think I have some instance in mind of the UK having attacked a third party simply due to some perceived slight against the Yanks? When my sentence was following "The Woolwich attack was "Muslims getting upset about attacks on Muslims in other parts of the world ", Afghanistan to be precise."

Well you were suggesting that there was a direct equivalent between Muslims around the world feelingbbrotherhood for others of that faith and the UK going to war allied with the Yanks - nothing of which you have provided supports that claim however.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Well you were suggesting that there was a direct equivalent between Muslims around the world feelingbbrotherhood for others of that faith and the UK going to war allied with the Yanks - nothing of which you have provided supports that claim however.

It's just a suggestion, you either see the parallel between the US and UK having common cause and Muslims having common cause or you don't.

The west got upset when Afghanistan was invaded by the USSR to stop the spread of Islamic extremism and found common cause with Islamic extremists, why is everyone surprised when a few Muslims get upset when Afghanistan gets invaded by the West to stop Islamic extremism?
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ??

The poster specifically said "Quiet patriotism isnt allowed i suppose?"

So EXACTLY the opposite of what you're saying.

What on earth is quiet patriotism when it's at home?
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One often hears from many a Muslim community leader (whatever that may mean) that Muslims are all peace lving British citizens.
    Well perhaps its time for action and not words. Lets see Muslims display their Britishness by flying the Union Flag from their mosques and them wearing "Heroes" t shirts. Lets start hearing the views of their mums and daughters for a change in this Equality and Diversity country of ours.
    Or is it all merely flannel...

Spot the Chav. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hume wrote: »
    Spot the Chav. :)

Owen Jones would be ashamed of you
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »

wearing ones union flag t-shirt inside out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    wearing ones union flag t-shirt inside out

:D I was wondering how on earth can you spot someone indulging in some 'quiet patriotism'? Is it a bit like mute cheer leading:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe not right wing and jingoistic?
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Prove your Britishness by wearing a t-shirt?

lol

Good lord.
  • Options
    JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flying union flags and banging on about "Support our troops" doesn't sound very British to me.
    Rather American really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you a labour politician? I asked what is it? not what it's not.

So come on then, what is quiet patriotism?
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you a labour politician? I asked what is it? not what it's not.

So come on then, what is quiet patriotism?

:confused::confused: why are asking that. .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    :confused::confused: why are asking that. .

Because he used the rather puzzling phrase/term.

Is that ok with you?
  • Options
    spubbbbaspubbbba Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    He could fly it from a boat if he wished and also from a ship.

He could fly it from a boat.
    He could tie it to a goat.
    If he wished and also from a ship.
    Or have it tattooed on his lip.

Sorry, couldn’t resist turning that into some awful Dr Suess style poetry. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spubbbba wrote: »
    He could fly it from a boat.
    He could tie it to a goat.
    If he wished and also from a ship.
    Or have it tattooed on his lip.

Sorry, couldn’t resist turning that into some awful Dr Suess style poetry. :o

awful being the operative word:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Your car is Japanese. Your petrol is Saudi Arabian. Your beer is German. Your wine is Spanish. Your democracy is Greek. Your kebab is Turkish. Your coffee is Colombian. Your pizza is Italian. Your tea is Tamil. Your watch is Swiss. Your fashion is French. Your films are American. Your shirt is Indian. Your shoes are Thai. Your TV is Korean. Your mobile phone is Chinese. Your vodka is Russian. Your numbers Arabic, your letters Latin. And then you complain that your neighbour is an immigrant?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Your car is Japanese. Your petrol is Saudi Arabian. Your beer is German. Your wine is Spanish. Your democracy is Greek. Your kebab is Turkish. Your coffee is Colombian. Your pizza is Italian. Your tea is Tamil. Your watch is Swiss. Your fashion is French. Your films are American. Your shirt is Indian. Your shoes are Thai. Your TV is Korean. Your mobile phone is Chinese. Your vodka is Russian. Your numbers Arabic, your letters Latin. And then you complain that your neighbour is an immigrant?"

Copy and paste I guess, hope you didn't spend any time and effort typing that rubbish out.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because he used the rather puzzling phrase/term.

Is that ok with you?

Why are you asking if its OK with me. I couldnt care less but you always seems to want to know people's political persuation.
  • Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you asking if its OK with me. I couldnt care less but you always seems to want to know people's political persuation.

He likes labels does trunkster. :)
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Isn't quiet patriotism the love of your country and respect for those who dwell in it without necessarily feeling the need to loudly declare that love and respect to people, or signpost it to them?

I mean, one might love and respect one's spouse without going around wearing t-shirts with each other's face on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Copy and paste I guess, hope you didn't spend any time and effort typing that rubbish out.

I've seen more eloquent refutations.

But not often from a right-winger.
  • Options
    DavserDavser Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

pretty true though.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member

You realise the BNP and EDL will go out for some cheap dutch lager and a curry, then complain about all the foreign influences in the country?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No I didn't, I asked what he meant by 'quiet patriotism'
    But for some unknown reason you decided to put your oar in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davser wrote: »
    pretty true though.

Which part though the copy and paste or rubbish bit?